Author Topic: with Love off the table now is Rondo next?  (Read 13492 times)

Re: with Love off the table now is Rondo next?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
  Do you have a link to that? When did Danny offer him a 4 year extension?

Even if that is true, I don't think it's very realistic to expect Rondo to play for a couple million a year less than Gordon Hayward.

I used deductive reasoning where by the absence of a story that Rondo has signed the extension means that he hasn't signed an extension.  I further made the leap that it is probably not the absence of an offer from the Celtics that is leading the lack of an extension.

PG Current Pay (for 2014-15):

Rose                     $19M
Paul                      $20M
Westbrook             $16M
Parker                   $12.5M
Wall                      $14M
Curry                    $10.5
Irving                    $7M (set to go up to $18M per)

So the approx. $14M per is not happening, how high does Boston need to go and how well does the team need to play for him to sign in Boston?

Are you questioning whether or not Boston has offered the extension or that it will be difficult for a team in the middle of a long rebuild to sign him once he becomes a FA?

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Even if that is true, I don't think it's very realistic to expect Rondo to play for a couple million a year less than Gordon Hayward.

I used deductive reasoning where by the absence of a story that Rondo has signed the extension means that he hasn't signed an extension.  I further made the leap that it is probably not the absence of an offer from the Celtics that is leading the lack of an extension.

So the approx. $14M per is not happening, how high does Boston need to go and how well does the team need to play for him to sign in Boston?

Are you questioning whether or not Boston has offered the extension or that it will be difficult for a team in the middle of a long rebuild to sign him once he becomes a FA?

I'm saying the extensions I've heard about were 2-3 year extensions, not 4 year extensions.

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I'm saying the extensions I've heard about were 2-3 year extensions, not 4 year extensions.

Right, 2014-15 at about $13M plus 3 more years at $44M make it the equivalent of a 4 year $57M contract.  Exact values may have changed some based on the changes to the salary cap but I believe that this is more or less what the Celtics could give Rondo today.

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Right, 2014-15 at about $13M plus 3 more years at $44M make it the equivalent of a 4 year $57M contract.  Exact values may have changed some based on the changes to the salary cap but I believe that this is more or less what the Celtics could give Rondo today.

Maybe he's looking for something more than a 3 year deal. It doesn't make much sense for him to go with anything that short.

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2014, 04:55:02 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Depends on whether the poster in question cares about the future of the Celtics, or whether the poster is Rondo's agent.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2014, 05:31:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Depends on whether the poster in question cares about the future of the Celtics, or whether the poster is Rondo's agent.

...because someone who cares about the future of the Celts would only want to trade Rondo under certain conditions (the return value), and Rondo's agent would only want to trade Rondo under certain conditions (the destination team). You nailed that one.

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2014, 06:46:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  Maybe he's looking for something more than a 3 year deal. It doesn't make much sense for him to go with anything that short.
I don't think is it about money or years.  I think he wants to be a FA so he can decide who with and where he plays.  He wants to play the field.  I am sure the money and years will take care of itself in any case.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:02:33 PM by Vermont Green »