Author Topic: with Love off the table now is Rondo next?  (Read 13493 times)

Re: with Love off the table now is Rondo next?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
If indeed Rondo decides he wants out of Boston, there is still no reason to sell cheap on him. Saunders just got the #1 pick in the last two drafts and a future first for a guy who was clearly gone at the end of the season.

I think the major reason Rondo hasn't been traded yet is that teams want to see that he's back to his pre-acl surgery form before giving up fair value for him.

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If indeed Rondo decides he wants out of Boston, there is still no reason to sell cheap on him. Saunders just got the #1 pick in the last two drafts and a future first for a guy who was clearly gone at the end of the season.

I think the major reason Rondo hasn't been traded yet is that teams want to see that he's back to his pre-acl surgery form before giving up fair value for him.
I disagree.  I think the major reason Rondo hasn't been traded yet is that Danny would prefer to keep him and build with him.

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 03:14:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I wouldn't mind Lin, Randle, Nash for Rondo, Wallace
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Dont think the lakers. Do that trade

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Yeah, Wallace and his contract are not going to the Lakers under any circumstance.

The Lakers have made it clear their plan is to chase big free agents each summer until they land a big fish. Wallace would get in the way of that.

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The only issue I see is Smart. I just don't see playing back up PG and SG as useful for the kid. Granted, he was a "BPA," thus, Ainge didn't take him to create a point guard controversy, but, he did and there will be one.

Ainge needs a star on the team. Rondo is the star and must remain except for this. The team Ainge is preparing to field has "draft pick" written all over it. Smart is going to play a "couple" of very strong games and the debate will rage that "the team is poor, start the rookie."

Everyone knows this, but, does it help Rondo's value? Rondo is a playoff point guard, perhaps at the trade deadline, as has been suggested here, there is an injury and a contender comes here for a starting point guard.

I offer the following "insider tidbit" from just such a conversation....the night of Paul George's injury, I was witness to a conversation between very senior Pacer's management literally at the moment the injury occurred.  Very upset person, just lost the 2015 season. The following quote was fully in jest, but, it illustrates the point....."George is out for the season? (expletives deleted) Well, we have to get Rondo now..." No, I do not hang with big shots, this was a coincidence.

Perhaps, a contender's top PG goes down and Ainge will be there waiting for his pay day.

Prefer to watch Smart start, but, Rondo's value is only maximized by a desperate suitor.

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yeah, Wallace and his contract are not going to the Lakers under any circumstance.

The Lakers have made it clear their plan is to chase big free agents each summer until they land a big fish. Wallace would get in the way of that.

But if you trade rondo the condition should be that you have to eat wallace contract or bass or both. Sac is prob willing to do that

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

but they get Rondo, who is a multiple time all star.  I mean that is sort of the point for them.  They are win now mode and that is a win now trade.

Edit: And really wouldn't Rondo be a pretty nice get for them.  You also have to consider who is going to be available for them next summer.  Love is now not around.  I mean you have Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, and possibly Lamarcus Aldridge (along with Rondo).  So if you land Rondo now, you get one of the 4 best F.A.'s available next summer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2014, 01:33:59 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
rubio and pekovic

for rondo wallace faverani 1st round pick

No, please no. I like Pekovic but everything Rondo isn't good at, Rubio is even worse at.

If Rondo goes, which I don't want to see happen, we will get more value for him the later into the season it is. There are too many point guards that are better, on less expensive contracts (or sometimes both) for us to get fair or better value for him.

would you overpay perkins udoh stoudamaire frye biedrins and not overpay pekovic?
specially when pekovic is healthy?

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Its Aug. Exactly

Lebron, love are off the table. Now onto the next avail or possible avail player.

For example, Hous was not willing to give up xyz for rondo hoping that their 1st 2nd plans go through.

Throw out some names.  Who, of quality, is available right now here in August?

Bledsoe?  So you're gonna make a lateral move (at best)?  Who else?

I'm still waiting for my phone to ring.

Dont worry nobody is going to call you

Getting Bledsoe is not a lateral move. He is 3 years younger and a better scorer/shooter. He would work better with this lineup/stevens offensive system

You're addressing a position that is probably your greatest team strength already by replacing Rondo with a guy who is, at best but probably not, on the same tier as him.

That epitomizes a lateral move.    It's needless. 

So who else?

Is a lateral trade now for a player you get to keep for 4 years better than getting nothing at the end of the season when Rondo signs with the Lakers or Knicks?

When Rondo does get traded, it is probably not going to feel like a good trade but I think it is going to feel a whole lot better than watching him walk.

I am not sure that Bledsoe is the deal because we have Smart but what we get is probably not going to be any more value, just different.

Is it a given that he's signing with the Lakers or Knicks at the end of the season?

What is apparently clear is that Rondo has no intention of signing an extension that would net him 4 years, $57M.  So I think that is a pretty clear indication that Rondo will take this to full FA.  At that point, I feel the two outcomes are we lose him or over pay for him.

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
rubio and pekovic

for rondo wallace faverani 1st round pick

No, please no. I like Pekovic but everything Rondo isn't good at, Rubio is even worse at.

If Rondo goes, which I don't want to see happen, we will get more value for him the later into the season it is. There are too many point guards that are better, on less expensive contracts (or sometimes both) for us to get fair or better value for him.

would you overpay perkins udoh stoudamaire frye biedrins and not overpay pekovic?
specially when pekovic is healthy?

My beef was with acquiring Rubio, not Pekovic... I think someone else brought up the opinion that he was overpaid

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The only issue I see is Smart. I just don't see playing back up PG and SG as useful for the kid. Granted, he was a "BPA," thus, Ainge didn't take him to create a point guard controversy, but, he did and there will be one.

Ainge needs a star on the team. Rondo is the star and must remain except for this. The team Ainge is preparing to field has "draft pick" written all over it. Smart is going to play a "couple" of very strong games and the debate will rage that "the team is poor, start the rookie."

Everyone knows this, but, does it help Rondo's value? Rondo is a playoff point guard, perhaps at the trade deadline, as has been suggested here, there is an injury and a contender comes here for a starting point guard.

I offer the following "insider tidbit" from just such a conversation....the night of Paul George's injury, I was witness to a conversation between very senior Pacer's management literally at the moment the injury occurred.  Very upset person, just lost the 2015 season. The following quote was fully in jest, but, it illustrates the point....."George is out for the season? (expletives deleted) Well, we have to get Rondo now..." No, I do not hang with big shots, this was a coincidence.

Perhaps, a contender's top PG goes down and Ainge will be there waiting for his pay day.

Prefer to watch Smart start, but, Rondo's value is only maximized by a desperate suitor.

That is quite a claim of insider information.  Not sure I see the pieces fitting for a trade with Indy but there are always lots of 3-way possibilities.

I disagree with the premise that we can get more for Rondo as time goes on.  I would think teams would rather have a season of Rondo than a couple of months.

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Rondo for Sactown is still ideal for Sacramento especially after the offseason they've had.

but I just don't see it happening for our benefit. I think Rondo's value to the celtics is more than teams are willing to give up for him at this point.

Maybe, the entire point is why keep a player that you arent going to resign for max money? Trade him and Bass for the best you can get this year.

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Its Aug. Exactly

Lebron, love are off the table. Now onto the next avail or possible avail player.

For example, Hous was not willing to give up xyz for rondo hoping that their 1st 2nd plans go through.

Throw out some names.  Who, of quality, is available right now here in August?

Bledsoe?  So you're gonna make a lateral move (at best)?  Who else?

I'm still waiting for my phone to ring.

Dont worry nobody is going to call you

Getting Bledsoe is not a lateral move. He is 3 years younger and a better scorer/shooter. He would work better with this lineup/stevens offensive system

You're addressing a position that is probably your greatest team strength already by replacing Rondo with a guy who is, at best but probably not, on the same tier as him.

That epitomizes a lateral move.    It's needless. 

So who else?

Is a lateral trade now for a player you get to keep for 4 years better than getting nothing at the end of the season when Rondo signs with the Lakers or Knicks?

When Rondo does get traded, it is probably not going to feel like a good trade but I think it is going to feel a whole lot better than watching him walk.

I am not sure that Bledsoe is the deal because we have Smart but what we get is probably not going to be any more value, just different.

Is it a given that he's signing with the Lakers or Knicks at the end of the season?

What is apparently clear is that Rondo has no intention of signing an extension that would net him 4 years, $57M.  So I think that is a pretty clear indication that Rondo will take this to full FA.  At that point, I feel the two outcomes are we lose him or over pay for him.

Do you have a link to that? When did Danny offer him a 4 year extension?

Even if that is true, I don't think it's very realistic to expect Rondo to play for a couple million a year less than Gordon Hayward.

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I'm definitely all in on the "trade Rondo" boat now that Love is gone. Still had hopes we could still pull out the Love trade and roll into next season with a Rondo-Love duo. Now that he's gone, we have to trade Rondo. This is looking like a long rebuild, something Rondo will not want to be around for.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6