Author Topic: with Love off the table now is Rondo next?  (Read 13490 times)

Re: with Love off the table now is Rondo next?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
There's no point to trading Rondo just for the sake of trading him.  I'd say 75% of the proposed trade ideas floating around on these boards are pure garbage or 25 cent/50 cent on the dollar deals. 

Unless Rondo has made it clear to Danny that he's gone once his contract is up, I don't see any reason to rush him out the door.  Especially before the upcoming season starts.   If the intention is to trade him down the road, bank on him improving on last season and showing more health.  Build up his trade value during the course of the upcoming season. It's not exactly at an all-time high right now.

Personally, I hope the C's resign him.  He's the best asset they have and the only true gamechanger they have on their current roster.  Guys like him aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

What if rondo is healthy but cant perform up to 2009-2011 levels?

His value goes down further or a decent chance it will  and why should ainge think about giving him max?

Let it play out. 

If I'm Ainge, I'm going to gamble that the Rondo he gets in '14-15 is going to be a better player than the Rondo of last season.  Who, btw, was still pretty solid.  It might not be prime Rondo but it's still going to be a very solid basketball player and the best player on this current roster.

Who said that Ainge has to give him the max or let him walk?  Has there actually been anything besides speculation that Rondo is going to use a "take it or leave it" mentality and demand only a max offer?

Disagree. I think they're at a crossroads right now.

Either deal for a vet to pair up with Rondo (which by the way is my preference) or deal him for whatever you can get. I still think a Rondo for Bledsoe deal could make alot of sense for both clubs.

If you go the "let it play out" scenario (which I am sure is what DA is going to do), you risk losing Rondo for nothing next sumer and you're in an even worse situation a year from now that you're in now.

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
There's no point to trading Rondo just for the sake of trading him.  I'd say 75% of the proposed trade ideas floating around on these boards are pure garbage or 25 cent/50 cent on the dollar deals. 

Unless Rondo has made it clear to Danny that he's gone once his contract is up, I don't see any reason to rush him out the door.  Especially before the upcoming season starts.   If the intention is to trade him down the road, bank on him improving on last season and showing more health.  Build up his trade value during the course of the upcoming season. It's not exactly at an all-time high right now.

Personally, I hope the C's resign him.  He's the best asset they have and the only true gamechanger they have on their current roster.  Guys like him aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

His value goes down further or a decent chance it will  and why should ainge think about giving him max?

Let it play out. 

If I'm Ainge, I'm going to gamble that the Rondo he gets in '14-15 is going to be a better player than the Rondo of last season.  Who, btw, was still pretty solid.  It might not be prime Rondo but it's still going to be a very solid basketball player and the best player on this current roster.

Who said that Ainge has to give him the max or let him walk?  Has there actually been anything besides speculation that Rondo is going to use a "take it or leave it" mentality and demand only a max offer?

Either deal for a vet to pair up with Rondo (which by the way is my preference) or deal him for whatever you can get. I still think a Rondo for Bledsoe deal could make alot of sense for both clubs.

If you go the "let it play out" scenario (which I am sure is what DA is going to do), you risk losing Rondo for nothing next sumer and you're in an even worse situation a year from now that you're in now.

It's August. 

What are you going to pull off now that you couldn't pull off in June pre-draft/draft night that is of better value?  Celtics leverage has gone down.  If they were gonna make a deal this off-season, it would've already been done. 

Let the season play out.  Thankfully, I think Danny will do that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why wouldnt rondo want max. Look at guys like bledsoe wanting max. Rondo prob knows this could be his last contract of his career.

Now danny giving him max is another story.  Danny has big adv in all of this. And with smart he can press the replacement button at any pt

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Its Aug. Exactly

Lebron, love are off the table. Now onto the next avail or possible avail player.

For example, Hous was not willing to give up xyz for rondo hoping that their 1st 2nd plans go through. 

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
rubio and pekovic

for rondo wallace faverani 1st round pick

No, please no. I like Pekovic but everything Rondo isn't good at, Rubio is even worse at.

If Rondo goes, which I don't want to see happen, we will get more value for him the later into the season it is. There are too many point guards that are better, on less expensive contracts (or sometimes both) for us to get fair or better value for him.

pekivoic is wayyy overpaid  for what he can really do and rubio is most likely a backup pg. I say we do this trade Idea
Boston sends rondo and clippers pick

Boston gets henson,jennings and Milwaukee 1st unprotected.

jennings is a solid veteran good guy to hold the pressure off smart while he develops
henson is a young rim protector who has the potential to be a star and a lottery pick.

I don't mind this as long as Jennings has to wear shoes that give him a small but painful electric shock every time he jacks up a stupid challenged shot.

Henson would be a great fit for the Celtics.

Depends what the Bucks' long term plans are if they say yes or no.

Jennings is in Detroit.

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Its Aug. Exactly

Lebron, love are off the table. Now onto the next avail or possible avail player.

For example, Hous was not willing to give up xyz for rondo hoping that their 1st 2nd plans go through.

Throw out some names.  Who, of quality, is available right now here in August?

Bledsoe?  So you're gonna make a lateral move (at best)?  Who else?

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Its Aug. Exactly

I'm still waiting for my phone to ring.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Its Aug. Exactly

Dont worry nobody is going to call you

Getting Bledsoe is not a lateral move. He is 3 years younger and a better scorer/shooter. He would work better with this lineup/stevens offensive system

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Its Aug. Exactly

Getting Bledsoe is not a lateral move. He is 3 years younger and a better scorer/shooter. He would work better with this lineup/stevens offensive system

You're addressing a position that is probably your greatest team strength already by replacing Rondo with a guy who is, at best but probably not, on the same tier as him.

That epitomizes a lateral move.    It's needless. 

So who else?

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Its Aug. Exactly

You're addressing a position that is probably your greatest team strength already by replacing Rondo with a guy who is, at best but probably not, on the same tier as him.

So who else?

Right. Bledsoe is not a lateral move... Its worse than a lateral move. We have a top 3 to 5 (depending on whom you talk to) PG in this league. Trading him for a combo guard who isn't as good is not only not a lateral move but it downgrades our best position.

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

But if you don't lose Rondo, you stand a good chance of being in a better situation a year from now than if you traded him.

Trading Rondo for less than he is worth is the mediocre path.  Keeping him means you will either do a lot better or possibly worse.  The only good reason to be a 100% for trading Rondo is if you have no desire to have him be a Celtic after this season even if he ends up being as good as he ever was and 100% healthy.

The risk is worth the positive potential reward.   I think it is bad for a GM to be a scaredy-cat with a low tolerance for risk.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Its Aug. Exactly

So who else?

Is a lateral trade now for a player you get to keep for 4 years better than getting nothing at the end of the season when Rondo signs with the Lakers or Knicks?

When Rondo does get traded, it is probably not going to feel like a good trade but I think it is going to feel a whole lot better than watching him walk.

I am not sure that Bledsoe is the deal because we have Smart but what we get is probably not going to be any more value, just different.

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Let it play out. 

It's August. 

What are you going to pull off now that you couldn't pull off in June pre-draft/draft night that is of better value?  Celtics leverage has gone down.  If they were gonna make a deal this off-season, it would've already been done. 

Let the season play out.  Thankfully, I think Danny will do that.

My preference is to keep Rondo and deal for Gay and Smith.

OR, DA could just hang back, extend Rondo and then make a hard run at Aldridge or Gasol next summer.

If that happened, then yes, the wait would've been well worth it. But what if Gasol or Aldridge don't want to come here?

What if you go after Bledsoe now and then maybe Deandre Jordan finds Boston more appealing next summer with Bledsoe as opposed to Rondo as both guys played together in LA (plus Jordan is looking to play for a team that doesn't have a racist owner.)

Every decision has a risk to it, I guess.

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
PG is the most overbloated position in the Nba right now.  Celtics are not going to get value for Rondo now.  Maybe if he plays closer to his level before the injury, he may regain his trade value. 

But answer this, if teams are not willing to put out decent trade offers, why expect them to offer the max?

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Its Aug. Exactly

So who else?

Is a lateral trade now for a player you get to keep for 4 years better than getting nothing at the end of the season when Rondo signs with the Lakers or Knicks?

When Rondo does get traded, it is probably not going to feel like a good trade but I think it is going to feel a whole lot better than watching him walk.

I am not sure that Bledsoe is the deal because we have Smart but what we get is probably not going to be any more value, just different.

Is it a given that he's signing with the Lakers or Knicks at the end of the season?