Author Topic: Min/Bos/Det Deal if Minny goes young  (Read 1735 times)

Min/Bos/Det Deal if Minny goes young
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
With Love out of town, Minnesota might as well go young and develop their kids for a stacked team in a couple of years. The trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pdwypes

Bos In: Pekovic, Smith
Bos Out: Bogans, Anthony, Sully, Green, Bass, 2015 Clippers Pick

Detroit In: Green, Bass
Detroit Out: Smith

Minny In: Sully, Bogans, Anthony, 2015 Clippers Pick
Minny Out: Pekovic

Why Minny does it: By trading Love for Wiggins and Bennett, there's no reason to try and stay relevant this year. Pekovic just keeps time away from Dieng, and trading him would fast track Dieng's progress and development. With this trade, they'd be able to trot out a starting lineup of Rubio, Wiggins, Bennett, Sully, and Dieng while having a bench of Barea, Lavine, Muhammed, Mbah a Moute, and Turiaf. In a couple of years, that's a sick lineup to have. Also, it gets them out of long-term money by adding an expiring contract and a non-guaranteed contract, and a late first round pick for their troubles. (If they said no, we could always offer up a Thornton for Martin swap to sweeten the deal. Martin's shooting would help us greatly off the bench, but he does have several years left on his deal.)

Why Detroit does it: By trading Smith, they'd be able to retain Monroe while having a more natural fit at the 3 in Green. This gets them out of long-term money, and it helps them compete more in a weak Eastern Conference. Furthermore, they get a perfect back-up forward for Monroe in Bass, who can stretch the floor around Drummond and hit mid-range jumpers.

Why Boston does it: This lets us get considerably better now, while aiding the prospect of Rondo returning to play with his friend Smith. Smith and Pekovic greatly complement each other, and as long as Stevens can keep Smith under wraps, we could be a top team in the East. A lineup of Rondo, Bradley, Turner, Smith, and Pekovic with a bench of Smart, Young, Wallace, Olynyk, and Zeller is pretty dang solid.

Who says no, and how high would we be in the East standings?

Re: Min/Bos/Det Deal if Minny goes young
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think Minnesota and Boston say no.

Minnesota doesn't want to give up their starting center for expirings and a couple of "maybe" prospects.

Boston gets older and gains at most 10 wins, something that does us literally no good.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I actually like this one quite a bit: seems pretty fair to all three teams and I think pairing Pekovic's offense with Smith's defense (and Rondo's Rondoness) would be fairly intriguing.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »

Offline shermansagun

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
What if.....

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l6ntefu

So the trade offer to minny would be interesting for flippy and gives the incoming turner much more time in 3. That way, we could dump also all the bad contracts and just take an approximately 68mil for the next season. By then we could sign another top free agent. without getting to over the luxury tax line.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am thinking Ainge just woke up to a bad dream on this one.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:01:32 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I am thinking Ainge just woke up to a bad dream on this one.

What don't you like about it? We're arguably getting the two best players in the deal, and only really giving up Sully and a late first for it. If it's the long-term money you're worried about, I get that. However, Smith > Green and/or Bass and Pekovic > Sully, Anthony, and/or Bogans and the trade is definitely a win for us.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
My gut tells me we are going youth movement. Drafting Smart was the first clue....then not getting Love... IDK I think that most people would say the same thing if they were told 3 months ago that this would happen.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I think Minnesota and Boston say no.

Minnesota doesn't want to give up their starting center for expirings and a couple of "maybe" prospects.

Boston gets older and gains at most 10 wins, something that does us literally no good.

They definitely would be more than 10 wins better, and I don't think it's even close. Also, we're one of the youngest teams in the league, so it won't hurt us to get marginally older. In fact, both Pekovic and Smith are 28. Green's almost 28, Bass is 29, Anthony is 31, Sully is 22, and Bogans is 34, so how exactly are we getting older?  And did you even read the trade proposal? Minny is getting "one" GOOD prospect, an unguaranteed contract, an expiring, and a pick, and that is definitely fair value for a rebuilding team going young dealing their older starting center to make room for their young, promising center.

This trade is much better than you give it credit for.

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The trade seems fair but with the uncertainty of the Rondo resign hard to give up assets. Also team is still not a top 3 team in the East with those additions. This team would need a lot more in terms of talent. But if you want to be a 6 seed than sure pull the trigger.