Author Topic: Saturday Night Live discussion  (Read 39161 times)

Re: Saturday Night Live discussion
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think this is like a basketball team with lots of good players but no great players and a coach without a cohesive vision.

I think Kate McKinnon is the best talent they've got on there at the moment.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2015, 02:35:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think this is like a basketball team with lots of good players but no great players and a coach without a cohesive vision.

Yeah but Kate McKinnon is more Joe Johnson than LeBron James, if you get my drift.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah but Kate McKinnon is more Joe Johnson than LeBron James, if you get my drift.

Kate McKinnon is probably already top 5 women talents that SNL has had.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yeah, she probably is, but she can't carry the show the way other performers have been able to.

Top-5 Women:

1) Gilda Radner
2) Tina Fey
3) Kristen Wiig
4 and 5 for me are terribly hard.

Molly Shannon, Amy Poehler, Ana Gasteyer Cheri O'Teri, Jane Curtain, and Kate McKinnon could be in either spot me thinks.

« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, Aidy Bryant, Kyle Mooney, Tarran Killiam, Bobby Moynihan, Beck Bennett, Kennan Thompson, and even Jon Rudnitsky (the new guy), they're all very versatile, very talented comedic performers.

Then, Jay Pharaoh, Pete Davidson, and Leslie Jones, they're all more limited, but with very clear abilities within their specializations.

But maybe its the writers, or the leadership from on high, but everything seems kind of derivative.

Last week, I loved this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/852312

And I liked this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/852311#i1,p6,d1

I thought a few other sketches were funny, but ordinary.
It was a nice debut.  There was some funny bits.  Pete Davidson was great.   Miley sucks (so sick of her "omg guise isn't it cray cray how I smoke weed and get nakkkid?" gimmick that her people have her doing constantly).    The new guy appeared in a surprising number of skits and handled himself really well.  It was like seeing a rookie drop 7 efficient points and 4 rebounds in his first game off the bench.  Nicely done, new guy. 

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2015, 03:09:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Agreed.

They need a major second talent to put next to her.  When Taren Killam is one of your major featured players, that's an issue.

What they could really use is somebody who has the personality and gravity to carry a scene on her own.  Somebody like Amy Schumer, or either of the Key and Peele duo.  But they need to find somebody like that before they make it, obviously.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2015, 03:12:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, she probably is, but she can't carry the show the way other performers have been able to.

Top-5 Women:

1) Gilda Radner
2) Tina Fey
3) Kristen Wiig

Molly Shannon, Amy Poehler, Ana Gasteyer Cheri O'Teri, Jane Curtain, and Kate McKinnon could be in either spot me thinks.

I'm not sure anyone can carry that show right now.  The writing is crap.

Also, the male talent is a wasteland at the moment.

« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Top-5 Women:

1) Gilda Radner
2) Tina Fey
3) Kristen Wiig

I like the male talent (phrasing), but it is a bunch of supporting actors and no headliners.

But I think Beck Bennett, Kyle Mooney, Bobby "Don't Call Me Horatio Sanz" Moynihan, Kennan Thompson, and Tarran Killam are all 'good enough' guys that they could be in pretty much any era and not drag the show down. 

« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Top-5 Women:

1) Gilda Radner
2) Tina Fey
3) Kristen Wiig

I like the male talent (phrasing), but it is a bunch of supporting actors and no headliners.

But I think Beck Bennett, Kyle Mooney, Bobby "Don't Call Me Horatio Sanz" Moynihan, Kennan Thompson, and Tarran Killam are all 'good enough' guys that they could be in pretty much any era and not drag the show down.

That's what I mean.  They don't have an alpha male.  I'm not on the Killam train at all.  Just not buying him as "the guy" as much as they've tried to push him that direction the past couple of season. 

Keenan & Moynihan are decent enough "glue guys" although nowhere near what Hader brought in that role.    Mooney is way too niche.   Bennett is just "Eh".

« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Top-5 Women:

1) Gilda Radner
2) Tina Fey
3) Kristen Wiig

Bottom line, SNL doesn't have anybody, except perhaps McKinnon, who I would tune in to watch specifically.

That's a problem for SNL.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:30 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Top-5 Women:

1) Gilda Radner
2) Tina Fey
3) Kristen Wiig

That's what I mean.  They don't have an alpha male.  I'm not on the Killam train at all.  Just not buying him as "the guy" as much as they've tried to push him that direction the past couple of season. 

Keenan & Moynihan are decent enough "glue guys" although nowhere near what Hader brought in that role.    Mooney is way too niche.   Bennett is just "Eh".
have to agree, there's no one with oomph on the show.

as for top 5 women, I don't know if I'd put Kate on that list.
1. Wiig
2. Fey
3. Pohler
4. Radner (I'm not a Gilda fan or a fan of the original cast but she was talented nonetheless)
5. Oteri
6. Shannon
7. Gasteyer

I'm sure there's probably one or two more that I missed that I'd consider ahead of Kate but she's about the best cast member they have at this point.  There's no one on that show that's a "must see" and that writing has been lackluster at best for the past 2-3 years.

« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Top-5 Women:

1) Gilda Radner
2) Tina Fey
3) Kristen Wiig

have to agree, there's no one with oomph on the show.

as for top 5 women, I don't know if I'd put Kate on that list.
1. Wiig
2. Fey
3. Pohler
4. Radner (I'm not a Gilda fan or a fan of the original cast but she was talented nonetheless)
5. Oteri
6. Shannon
7. Gasteyer

I'm sure there's probably one or two more that I missed that I'd consider ahead of Kate but she's about the best cast member they have at this point.  There's no one on that show that's a "must see" and that writing has been lackluster at best for the past 2-3 years.

I'd definitely put her ahead of Oteri, Shannon, & Gasteyer.    Then things certainly get a lot murkier. 

« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I agree. Killam is very good, but he's not an ace and he looks worse and worse the more he has to carry the show. You can see that Beck Bennett is the future Sudeikis... a really solid middle of the rotation guy who will be on the show for a long time and can carry sketches here and there.

On the other side, Kate McKinnon is the biggest talent they've got and seems like she could be a hall of famer with better material. I guess one of the lessons, though, is that you can't really separate the player and the material because 90% of the show is behind the scenes.

There's doesn't seem to be any star of either gender on either side of the curtain.

« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2015, 10:37:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I agree. Killam is very good, but he's not an ace and he looks worse and worse the more he has to carry the show. You can see that Beck Bennett is the future Sudeikis... a really solid middle of the rotation guy who will be on the show for a long time and can carry sketches here and there.

On the other side, Kate McKinnon is the biggest talent they've got and seems like she could be a hall of famer with better material. I guess one of the lessons, though, is that you can't really separate the player and the material because 90% of the show is behind the scenes.

There's doesn't seem to be any star of either gender on either side of the curtain.
I think Pete Davidson has huge potential and will be the next big star of the show once he develops more.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think Pete Davidson has huge potential and will be the next big star of the show once he develops more.

My concern with Davidson is that he's from the standup background.  Those guys typically tend to struggle or hit ceilings on SNL.  The ones from sketch backgrounds (Second City, etc...) tend to be the ones to breakthrough.

Eddie Murphy & Adam Sandler seem to be the exception to this in SNL history, though.