Author Topic: Saturday Night Live discussion  (Read 39155 times)

Re: Saturday Night Live discussion
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
On you guys' points:

--- I generally don't like Drunk Uncle but did enjoy the one where John Goodman came on as "Drunker Uncle" and they kinda did a duet to that Billy Ocean song.

--- Hated the family reunion skit. There weren't any discernible jokes, just those lame impressions that if someone you knew in real life still broke out, you'd be tempted to punch them in the face.

--- I think Kate McKinnon is the best cast member on the show, and should get more time.

----Just a curiosity, did anyone like the 'Paul and Phil in the Graveyard' skit? It strikes me as an 'either loved it or hated it' bit. I thought it was the funniest thing they did all night, but would understand if some felt the opposite.

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2014, 05:47:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
On you guys' points:

----Just a curiosity, did anyone like the 'Paul and Phil in the Graveyard' skit? It strikes me as an 'either loved it or hated it' bit. I thought it was the funniest thing they did all night, but would understand if some felt the opposite.

I didn't like it.  It really wasn't that funny.  I'm not sure what direction the writers thought something like that could go in.  It starts as a musical then devolves into two guys repeating the same schtick over & over again and interacting with the tree, grim reaper, statues.  Then it sorta just abruptly ends.    I just thought it was weird.

The best thing might've been Helvis in the monologue and even that was kinda weird.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2014, 07:11:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I liked Paul and Phil, but I tend to like musical sketches.  Taran Killam is the best cast member.

The Carrey reunion was a rehashing of the Walken reunion skit a few years ago.  It wasn't that special, but I think it was a sketch where the cast had fun.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
mentioned this several posts ago about the show being more about the quality of the writing than the talent in the cast-->a talented cast can't save a poorly written show but a well-written show can do well with even a mediocre cast.

The last 2 episodes have been better but I attribute that not to the writing but the ability of Hader and Carrey to be naturally funny.  The show needs some much better writing (and better talent)

« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2015, 11:58:25 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I've maybe laughed more in the first 20 minutes of this Blake Shelton show than I have all season. From the Opening Pats/ A few Good Men spoof, to the Hee-Haw spoof, to the the country song "Wishing Boot" ;D

The Wishing Boot song just so odd. ;D

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2015, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I've maybe laughed more in the first 20 minutes of this Blake Shelton show than I have all season. From the Opening Pats/ A few Good Men spoof, to the Hee-Haw spoof, to the the country song "Wishing Boot" ;D

The Wishing Boot song just so odd. ;D
definitely a good show.

the one with Martin Freeman had it's moments as well.  loved the Office take-off with the Hobbit characters.    Also loved Sumptin Claus.  song was stuck in my head for 2 weeks

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Anyone else catch the 40th anniversary show?

Too much hype for what was produced.  Loved Celebrity Jeopardy but the rest was meh.  Don't get the Eddie Murphy bit.  Seemed like the sole point was to kiss his butt.  Was at least hoping for him to do something besides stand there and look awkward

« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Anyone else catch the 40th anniversary show?

Too much hype for what was produced.  Loved Celebrity Jeopardy but the rest was meh.  Don't get the Eddie Murphy bit.  Seemed like the sole point was to kiss his butt.  Was at least hoping for him to do something besides stand there and look awkward

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=76246.15

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
dredging this up just as a break from the harping on summer league results --> anyone else bothered / disappointed that Kenan Thompson is coming back for yet another season?  the guy reminds of someone who refuses to move out of their parents basement and get a place of their own. 

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2015, 02:30:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
dredging this up just as a break from the harping on summer league results --> anyone else bothered / disappointed that Kenan Thompson is coming back for yet another season?  the guy reminds of someone who refuses to move out of their parents basement and get a place of their own.
He use to be awful, but his comedic ability and timing have grown a lot since he originally joined.  It's night and day.  He's one of the best cast members at this point and usually adds to whatever sketch he is in.  I don't mind him sticking around at all. 

Interesting to see Darrell Hammond back in the show in some capacity (as the announcer and making guest appearances as Clinton).  That dude was on the show forever.  I recently learned that he had all sorts of issues when he was on the show... he had to be taken away in a straight jacket at one point.  After leaving the show, he got hooked on crack.  Pretty depressing stuff.   He attributes it to being abused as a child by his mother.  She stabbed, beat and electrocuted him.   

If you want to ruin your day... watch this video interview with him:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/24/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/darrell-hammond-abuse/

I guess him and Lorne Michaels are friends... which probably explains why he's back in the fold. 

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Is everyone coming back from last season? Any new cast members?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Can't wait until the next President is in office.  SNL is going to have a lot of fun at their expense.  Whether is it's Hillary, Bernie, or any of the Republicans, they are going to up their game.  It will be great comedy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:14:53 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
saw an article that projected the likelihood of who's coming back.  nothing definite other than Kenan returning.  no mention of anyone new joining.

of note on the departures, they projected Kate, Vanessa, Pete and Sasheer to leave for other work while Jost was projected to be let go as a just a bad mix with Che at the desk.  article thought it was as 50/50 shot Che would get the desk fulltime solo and if not, leave the show.

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
saw an article that projected the likelihood of who's coming back.  nothing definite other than Kenan returning.  no mention of anyone new joining.

of note on the departures, they projected Kate, Vanessa, Pete and Sasheer to leave for other work while Jost was projected to be let go as a just a bad mix with Che at the desk.  article thought it was as 50/50 shot Che would get the desk fulltime solo and if not, leave the show.
well, question answered.  everyone's back and added one new guy that got more screentime than a number of regulars.

- Still struggling to find any funny characters to build with --> nothing developing with the cast or writers.
- Weekend Update still isn't working well with Jost and Che.  Need to stick to just Che.
- Hillary did fairly well in her guest stint -- showed some humor and a relative ease on camera.  really trying to polish her uptight image.
- found I really don't like Miley Cyrus' music.  yeesh. 

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think this is like a basketball team with lots of good players but no great players and a coach without a cohesive vision.

Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, Aidy Bryant, Kyle Mooney, Tarran Killiam, Bobby Moynihan, Beck Bennett, Kennan Thompson, and even Jon Rudnitsky (the new guy), they're all very versatile, very talented comedic performers.

Then, Jay Pharaoh, Pete Davidson, and Leslie Jones, they're all more limited, but with very clear abilities within their specializations.

But maybe its the writers, or the leadership from on high, but everything seems kind of derivative.

Last week, I loved this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/852312

And I liked this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/852311#i1,p6,d1

I thought a few other sketches were funny, but ordinary.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner