Author Topic: Saturday Night Live discussion  (Read 39157 times)

Re: Saturday Night Live discussion
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
anyone else see last night's show and wonder if this season could possibly be bad enough to knock this show off the air after 40 years?  :-\

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
just to kick the SNL discussion around some more with a new question:

Who were your favorite and least favorite hosts?  who surprised you as better than expected and who was a disappointment?  Anyone you think would make a great host but hasn't done it yet?

for me, I think my favorites over the years have been Alec Baldwin, Justin Timberlake (couldn't stand hiim before SNL) and new favorite of mine Melissa Mccarthy.  A very pleasant surprise was Pam Anderson--got right into the characters without hesitation.  Same with Kerry Washington--would really like to see her come back again.

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck do a pretty decent job when they host too--seem to go along with whatever characters they're asked to play and get into the roles.

for me, the biggest disappointments were Robert Deniro (by a large margin) and Robin Williams.  Deniro's shows always came off like he put the kebosh on anything really funny----only play-it-safe skits that weren't funny.  I could picture Deniro going through the walkthroughs saying "I'm not doing that".  probably only happened in my head but the shows were so bad that I could actually picture it happening.

Robin Williams was just too fast for the writers and cast.  He was buzzing along doing his thing and trying to be funny but the writing/skits were weak compared to what he could freelance and the cast didn't look like they knew how to work with him.  Jim Carrey had the same issue too but to a much lesser extent.

I don't recall seeing George Clooney or Brad Pitt doing it but they seem like they'd do well at getting into character.  of course, it all depends on the writing.

Steve Martin was always great.
Yup

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
anyone else see last night's show and wonder if this season could possibly be bad enough to knock this show off the air after 40 years?  :-\

Weekend Update is getting unbearable.

The only skit I really got a kick out of was the He-Man one. The new kid who did the commentary during Weekend Update was funny too. Pete Davidson.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

The only skit I really got a kick out of was the He-Man one. The new kid who did the commentary during Weekend Update was funny too. Pete Davidson.

There was one funny thing they did say on weekend update, slapping at Apple jamming U2 down people's throats.

Something to the effect of "celebs should hide their nude selfies in the U2 free album download"... ;D

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

There was one funny thing they did say on weekend update, slapping at Apple jamming U2 down people's throats.

Something to the effect of "celebs should hide their nude selfies in the U2 free album download"... ;D
those were about the only high points of the show.   I seem to recall hearing Cecily left the desk to go back to skits (which she was already doing) and guest bits.  forgot about that "girl" bit she used to do.  didn't like it then and like it less now

« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Michael Che will be fine longterm, he's perfect for the straight man role, and will get laughs with the occasional 'white people are weird' joke.

I think they misused Chris Pratt a bit, he was great as he-man, but that sketch was about 30 seconds too long. I really, REALLY wanted to like the faux 90s sitcom sketch, and that kind of role is perfect for Pratt's goofy comic style but it was just a little too awkwardly self-aware for me. I also think the bar sketch with Aidy Bryant could've been an all-timer if they would've tweaked the writing just a little bit. Great concept.

Loved everything Pete Davison did.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2014, 11:29:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

those were about the only high points of the show.   I seem to recall hearing Cecily left the desk to go back to skits (which she was already doing) and guest bits.  forgot about that "girl" bit she used to do.  didn't like it then and like it less now

I agree.

We're a long way (not in a positive way and not just time-wise ) from the Belushi Killer Bees, Samurai and Cheeseburger, Ceeseburger days.

Sad.

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2014, 09:38:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I agree.

We're a long way (not in a positive way and not just time-wise ) from the Belushi Killer Bees, Samurai and Cheeseburger, Ceeseburger days.

Sad.
jumping back into the discussion on the season -- second show with Sarah Silverman was pretty bad.  3rd one with Hader (and Wiig) was only good with the older parts they used to play.  Seeing Stephon again was great and just drove home how bad the writing is this year and how lacking this cast is with decent recurring characters (or even a single funny skit)

« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think weekend update has improved every episode and has really gotten its crap together.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

I agree.

Sad.
jumping back into the discussion on the season -- second show with Sarah Silverman was pretty bad.  3rd one with Hader (and Wiig) was only good with the older parts they used to play. Seeing Stephon again was great and just drove home how bad the writing is this year and how lacking this cast is with decent recurring characters (or even a single funny skit)

On the bolded part, The puppeteer Vet with PTSD at the Learning Annex mostly fell flat for me. I loved it the first time, but  the gag where the puppet blew the cigarette smoke that got a huge laugh----they did it already the first time. I laughed then, like 2-3 years ago. I will say I liked the flash back part where Washington stepped on the landmine and the stuffing went everywhere.

The skit where he was the old senile reporter who hits the interviewee in the face with the microphone, I've never thought was funny.

The only skit that I really liked was ' The Category Jumper'. I guess I'd say that was my favorite part of the three episodes so far.

« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2014, 07:09:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think weekend update has improved every episode and has really gotten its crap together.
Yeah both of those guys are getting more comfortable out there.  Glad they are letting Cecily Strong go back to doing character work.  Her "girl at a party" is fantastic.  Surprised some people don't like it.  She does some subtle thing every appearance that cracks me up.  Weekend Update is only going to get better.  Pete Davidson seems like an interesting addition... he's been pretty funny in his couple appearances.  He's also popping up in a lot of sketches... they must have faith in him.

The guys from Good Neighbor (Bennett/Mooney) are starting to hit their stride, btw.  It's a different vibe of comedy that I think people are slow to connect with.  I think people were expecting the lonley-island digital shorts and haven't totally gotten the new ones yet.   But I actually laughed a lot at the weird 90s sitcom rift during Chris Pratt's episode... and their SoCal recurring segment is kinda funny.  I have a feeling that as the season progresses, those guys are going to get a lot funnier.  I think the more we get familiar with their style of comedy, the better those guys are going to come across.

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Jim Carrey episode --> thought he did better this time than last time he hosted.  some skits worked, some did not.   matthew mcconaughey take off worked.  family reunion--not completely.
Drunk Uncle, as usual for me, did not.  character is so bad I want to see Bobby Moynihan off next season so I never had to see that character again.  (which is shame because until that character came along I liked him) 

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Finally, someone else who doesn't like Drunk Uncle.  I thought I was the only one because everyone else seems to love that character.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2014, 03:54:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Finally, someone else who doesn't like Drunk Uncle.  I thought I was the only one because everyone else seems to love that character.
honestly, I don't know anyone that likes Drunk Uncle.  from my viewpoint, you're in the majority.  not sure what that says about the people I associate with though.

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm a big Drunk Uncle fan myself.   However, his appearance on Weekend Update this past episode was probably the worst Drunk Uncle skit I've seen. 

This season has been pretty choppy.  Lots of crap with a few rays of sunshine.  I don't know what they're doing.  I think the Hader & Carrey episodes have been the best of the lot and even those two episodes were very hot & cold.

I agree that Weekend Update has seemed to be getting better every week.  Che seems much more comfortable now and there actually is a hint of chemistry with Jost which definitely wasn't there in Episode One.  However, I can't say I'm exactly a fan of Jost. 

I don't know what they're thinking by under-utilizing Kate McKinnon this season.  IMO, she's the best female in the cast.  It's like she's taken a back seat this season. I think they finally know what they're doing with Jay Pharaoh which is good to see.  They've been awfully even on Taryn Killam.  I don't know if that speeches volumes about how they feel about the other male performers or what but he's pretty much involved in every sketch now.  They've also been pretty heavy on Kenan (no pun intended).

IMO, a lot of this goes back to the writing.  For the most part, it's been pretty putrid this season.  However, guys like Hader & Carrey can make the most of of most crap and make it seem appealing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team