Author Topic: Saturday Night Live discussion  (Read 39399 times)

Re: Saturday Night Live discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 08:19:32 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Farley-Ferrell

Fey-Wiig

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just to throw another thought into the discussion, are there any cast members anyone enjoyed that you felt were underappreciated or underused?

I loved Piscopo with Murphy.  Surprised his career didn't go better. 

I also think the 'Sandler' years should have been so much better with the comedic talent on for those years: Sandler, Spade, Rock, Schnieder and Farley should have been so much funnier but I just keep coming back to poor writing those years which was so disappointing.

Bill Hader is criminally underappreciated when you consider casts of recent memory. 

Always though Kevin Nealon was a bit underused but that may have been on purpose the years he was doing Weekend Update.  That bit alone is a whole different animal to write for.
shame on me for forgetting Hader.  thought he was great.

Never liked Nealon except for Mr Subliminal.  thought that was a really good character that was never developed well

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 08:48:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Drunk uncle?  Pass.  Stefon?  Pass.  I loved Bill Hader as Dr. Oz, though.  Now that was awesome.  Every time I see Dr. Oz now all I can think of is, "crawl in your rectum," ;D  If you haven't seen it, you'll really enjoy it.  I believe it was on the episode with Charlie Day.

pass on Stefon?  I thought he was hysterical.  some of it was due to Hader having a lot of trouble not cracking up but I loved Stefon.  Dr. Oz, the old reporter Herb something and the Vincent Price celebrity parties were really good Hader skits. 

have to agree on Drunk Uncle -- don't care for that bit at all

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
You're telling me this is really funny?  (It's the "living in the van down by the river" skit).

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4183

It may have been funny when you were 13, but come on now, do you still think this is legitmately funny?  Or do you just enjoy it because you remember how much you loved it when you were a kid?

And this is considered to be one of the funniest sketches ever too.

SNL is like the Simpsons, it's still going on, but people that are honest with themselves admit it's not even close to the same thing anymore and stopped being a good show a long time ago.

Wow, I thought the Matt Foley sketch was beyond criticism. I feel bad that you don't find it hilarious but maybe it's a generational thing? Do you also dislike the other Farley bits where he incorporates physical comedy?

Also, the underrated Hartman is in the sketch: CRACK, ICE, BOOM, POW.
have to say I didn't like the Foley sketches either.  thought they relied too much on unfunny physical actions than actual humor.  TBH, the only sketch I really found Farley to be funny was the legendary Chippendales sketch with Patrick Swayze.  That is one of the all-time great sketches ever.  Had so much respect for Farley after seeing how he threw public body-image opinions aside and just let his 'physique' hang out and just went for it.  Probably hyperbole in some people's eyes but I thought it was a courageous comedic move.

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 09:02:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
noticed an omission of a couple of guys and one of my favorite skits: Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest as the guys "that hate when that happens".  loved that bit. 

always felt Guest was underutilized.

also, shameful admission on my part -- I really liked Tim Kazurinski's bit on the old News skits with Brad Hall where he had those doofus characters and the cards with the silly phrases on them.  total cornball bit but I enjoyed it.

also from the same era, I really liked Robin Duke's Mrs T. character.  especially the show when Mr T hosted.  very funny (at least to me)

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 09:42:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No sarcasm. Love Spongebob.

Interestingly, the mom's scripted reaction to Spongebob is my real life reaction to Two and A Half Men.

The Chevy Chase bit, by the way, is one where he struggles to get to a ringing phone, answers it, is in the middle of saying "Suicide Prevention Hotline" when he's interrupted by a gunshot.

Ha, that's pretty funny.  Personally, I loved that show until Charlie left, but I always felt like it should have been called what it really is - Charlie Sheen's Autobiography ;D  Out of curiosity, what makes you like Spongebob so much? 

As for Chevy Chase, man, I never would have thought that he was a racist.  What happened to that guy?  Doesn't everyone hate working with him now or something?

Chevy Chase is kind of a caustic jerk, and reportedly he has been for a while.

re: Spongebob, it takes a very smart show to put the dumbest character under a rock, literally speaking. There's wit there that you don't often find in a lot of comedy shows nowadays, animated or otherwise.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Funniest fake commercial- go

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 11:18:27 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Interestingly, the mom's scripted reaction to Spongebob is my real life reaction to Two and A Half Men.

The Chevy Chase bit, by the way, is one where he struggles to get to a ringing phone, answers it, is in the middle of saying "Suicide Prevention Hotline" when he's interrupted by a gunshot.

Ha, that's pretty funny.  Personally, I loved that show until Charlie left, but I always felt like it should have been called what it really is - Charlie Sheen's Autobiography ;D  Out of curiosity, what makes you like Spongebob so much? 

As for Chevy Chase, man, I never would have thought that he was a racist.  What happened to that guy?  Doesn't everyone hate working with him now or something?

re: Spongebob, it takes a very smart show to put the dumbest character under a rock, literally speaking. There's wit there that you don't often find in a lot of comedy shows nowadays, animated or otherwise.
Chase can never host again, banned for being such a jerk

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 11:20:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

really?  where'd you hear that?

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

so many but I liked the Bass-o-matic and Oops-I-Crapped-My-Pants adult diapers.

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

add in funniest short as well.

Loved the Ambiguously Gay Duo (platonically of course ;D)  and the Samberg/Timberlake bits, particularly D1ck-in-the-box.  can't believe they played that uncut on the first night it was played.

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Bunch of different media outlets report it.  A google search usually turns up Chevy on the banned list.  He hasn't hosted since '97 with only a handful of cameos since.

From everything I've read on the guy, Chase is a bonafide pr*ck.  Both SNL books I've read (Backstage History & Live from NY) do not shine him in a good light.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Bunch of different media outlets report it.  A google search usually turns up Chevy on the banned list.  He hasn't hosted since '97 with only a handful of cameos since.

From everything I've read on the guy, Chase is a bonafide pr*ck.  Both SNL books I've read (Backstage History & Live from NY) do not shine him in a good light.
I get he's a pr1ck but he has done some cameos since the last time he hosted.  mostly on the 5-timer shows when they do that 5-timer club bit.  would think if he's banned from hosting he'd be banned completely. 

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2014, 11:33:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
You're telling me this is really funny?  (It's the "living in the van down by the river" skit).

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4183

It may have been funny when you were 13, but come on now, do you still think this is legitmately funny?  Or do you just enjoy it because you remember how much you loved it when you were a kid?

And this is considered to be one of the funniest sketches ever too.

SNL is like the Simpsons, it's still going on, but people that are honest with themselves admit it's not even close to the same thing anymore and stopped being a good show a long time ago.

Hey Dad, I can't see real good, is that Bill Shakespeare over there?

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Bass-o-matic and happy fun ball were both great but I've always loved the Schmitt's Gay beer commercial - it just completely took the p--- out of those kind of ridiculous ads at a time that you didn't see much of that stuff (pre-Family Guy and the like).  And Sandler and Farley's expressions were great.