Author Topic: IDEA to get Thaddeus Young from Philly  (Read 3047 times)

IDEA to get Thaddeus Young from Philly
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
....if he doesn't end up being part of the Love deal

Philly gets Bass, Sullinger, Green
Celts get Young, JRich and 2017 unprotected first rounder.

I think this ends up being a really athletic, fast-paced team
with veterans like Thornton, Wallace and Richardson coming off the bench.

Maybe even a playoff team??

PG - Rondo/Smart
SG - Bradley/J. Young
SF-Turner
PF-T.Young
C-Zeller

Re: IDEA to get Thaddeus Young from Philly
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I would love to see Young on the C's, but I think I'd rather he went to a good team that's missing a legitimately talented/undersized 4.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
he's a good player but Id rather keep Green and Sully

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
You get a come on man from me!
Philly don't need Bass.
Thaddeus Young > Bass
They want a good draft pick in 2015, so they have no use for Sullinger and Green
And you have the nerve to ask for an unprotected 2017 first.  ::)
Sixers in rebuilding mode. They don't need mediocre players to increase their win total, but not going anywhere.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

PG - Rondo/Smart
SG - Bradley/J. Young
SF-Turner
PF-T.Young
C-Zeller
good lord that's a horrible deal.

forget that adding Thad to this roster would be pointless since we're not going anywhere -- especially after you traded 3 of the top 5 players on the team - but why would you give up 3 players that can be starters for Philly for 1 player that's arguably not as good as Green, an expiring contract in JRich which is what Bass already is and for a 1st rounder that figures to be out of the lottery since by 2017 Philly's youth figures to be well-developed and improving-->quite possibly winning the division by then.

that's just plain awful

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:12 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
the worst part of it is giving sullinger....remove green and sully, no need for richardson
bass+ bogans + 2nd

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 11:16:26 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
That's a terrible trade for Philly. Green and Bass are absolutely not in their long term plans, so it's essentially Young + an unprotected first for… Sullinger. They get completely swindled.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
That's a terrible trade for Philly. Green and Bass are absolutely not in their long term plans, so it's essentially Young + an unprotected first for?€? Sullinger. They get completely swindled.
agree that it's a bad deal for Philly (as well as the C's) because they're looking to tank and those 3 players with MCW and Noel in the middle will take Philly out of the running for the worst record which is their obvious goal.

I disagree that they're getting swindled from a talent perspective though.  They're getting far more talent than they're giving up.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

PG - Rondo/Smart
SG - Bradley/J. Young
SF-Turner
PF-T.Young
C-Zeller

forget that adding Thad to this roster would be pointless since we're not going anywhere -- especially after you traded 3 of the top 5 players on the team - but why would you give up 3 players that can be starters for Philly for 1 player that's arguably not as good as Green, an expiring contract in JRich which is what Bass already is and for a 1st rounder that figures to be out of the lottery since by 2017 Philly's youth figures to be well-developed and improving-->quite possibly winning the division by then.

that's just plain awful

Don't know where to begin:

1.)If Jeff Green, Brandon Bass and Sullinger are your 3 best players, then that says alot about the state of the team

2.)In addition to acquiring Young, this move is also about addition by subtraction.
You clear up the logjam at the 4 by dealing Bass (who the team is reportedly DYING to deal) and Sullinger (who, in my opinion after watching him the last 2 years, isn't going to amount to much in the NBA.)

3.)You become alot more athletic with Thaddeus Young then you were with Bass and Sullinger.
If the team is sticking with Rondo, then he needs faster guys on the team than Bass and Sully.

4.)You and many people here say that "we're not going anywhere" but if that was the case, then how come DA hasn't dealt Rondo yet? He could've dealt him on draft night, couldn't he?

5.)The reason I said 2017 for the draft pick is because Philadephia obviously isn't going to deal you their 1st rounder in '15 and '16, as they plan on being bad for a while. And 2017 is actually being generous.

6.)You get out of Sully's deal, which continues for at least another couple years while Young's deal is expiring. If you don't like the way he pans out this season, then you say goodbye next summer.

7.)In the interim, the Sixers plan on being bad, real bad. I don't see how getting Green, Sully and Bass is going to transition them from being a bottom 3 team to a playoff contender.

Again, you are overrating Bass, Sully and Green in a big, big way.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:04:37 PM by gpap »

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Bad deal for both teams

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Bad deal for both teams

Well, it's only fitting.

A bad deal for bad teams (lol)

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

PG - Rondo/Smart
SG - Bradley/J. Young
SF-Turner
PF-T.Young
C-Zeller

that's just plain awful

Don't know where to begin:
try beginning with a better trade proposal. 

1.)If Jeff Green, Brandon Bass and Sullinger are your 3 best players, then that says alot about the state of the team
yes it does.  it says we need to get much better.  Thad won't be solving that problem

2.)In addition to acquiring Young, this move is also about addition by subtraction.
You clear up the logjam at the 4 by dealing Bass (who the team is reportedly DYING to deal) and Sullinger (who, in my opinion after watching him the last 2 years, isn't going to amount to much in the NBA.)
Young is a swing forward that's not as good as the swing forward you're trading - Green.  agree
we have a PF logjam but I'm not dumping 2 PFs -- one with more projected upside in Sully - just to bring in another forward.

3.)You become alot more athletic with Thaddeus Young then you were with Bass and Sullinger.
If the team is sticking with Rondo, then he needs faster guys on the team than Bass and Sully.
more athletic, sure.  does athletic = better?  no.  Bass and Sully both have better offensive games than Thad who has to rely on transition to score.  both have better jumpers than Thad and Sully has great hands around the basket.  Sully's also a far superior pass and also has the best range of the 3 of them.  Rondo showed he can function with slower players with KG, PP and Ray. 

4.)You and many people here say that "we're not going anywhere" but if that was the case, then how come DA hasn't dealt Rondo yet? He could've dealt him on draft night, couldn't he?
dealing Rondo has nothing to do with going anywhere.  I don't get this all-or-nothing mentality where if we have someone who's a top player then we have to deal them if we're not contending.  total BS philosophy.  if it held merit PP would have been traded long before the KG/Ray trades.

5.)The reason I said 2017 for the draft pick is because Philadephia obviously isn't going to deal you their 1st rounder in '15 and '16, as they plan on being bad for a while. And 2017 is actually being generous.
agree they're not trading either of those picks because they'd be of value -- moreso than 2017 which is why I'd want them.  C's would be giving up much more talent than Philly and a probable-non-lottery pick won't make up the difference.

6.)You get out of Sully's deal, which continues for at least another couple years while Young's deal is expiring. If you don't like the way he pans out this season, then you say goodbye next summer.
why do we need to get out of Sully's deal?  makes no sense.  he's still on his rookie agreement for a couple of years.  foolish.  AND your argument is that if the player we're getting back -- who's paid more money -- doesn't pan out we just let him go?  are you kidding?  you just dumped 3 guys that could start -- 1 on a rookie deal that's arguably on the same level as Thad and one who's better on a reasonable deal in comparison to Hayward/Parsons -- for someone you're just going to let walk or even suspect could be bad enough to walk?  atrocious.  for the sake of argument, let's flip that argument to assume he's everything you wanted and a bag of chips.  Now, in order to justify the trade you have to resign him to a much bigger contract or lose him to free agency. 
In one case you're left with nothing but an expected non-lottery pick in 3 years OR a non-lottery pick in 3 years and an expensive swing forward that cannot shoot, doesn't rebound much but can 'run in transition'.  oh joy 

7.)In the interim, the Sixers plan on being bad, real bad. I don't see how getting Green, Sully and Bass is going to transition them from being a bottom 3 team to a playoff contender.
not a playoff contender.  I said they'd be out of the running for the worst record which is what they want to achieve again next year. 

Again, you are overrating Bass, Sully and Green in a big, big way.
and your underrating them in a big, big way.