Author Topic: Cavs have deal for Love in place with contract committment  (Read 19443 times)

Re: Cavs have deal for Love in place with contract committment
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Only Lebron can turn two ages stars into two emerging stars....hahaha...Cavs rule the East for the next 5-7 years....

I'm not rushing to crown them. Love and Irving have never been to the playoffs and now they have championship expectations. I think Love can handle it, but Irving hasn't exactly been the perfect picture of maturity during his career.
I don't think Irving and Love's lack of Playoff experience will be too much of an issue. I think the bigger issue will be, like you said, that the Cavs will have issues on defense.

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Wolves future lineup (as soon as this upcoming season)

C- Pekovic
PF- Dieng
SF - Bennett
SG - Wiggins
PG - Lavine

Barera, Rubio will get traded. Maybe Rubio gets one more chance but if he doesn't improve, will def be gone. In a few years the lineup above could = next OKC

I don't think LaVine has any serious chance of sticking at the point. He's going to be playing the 2 when he cracks the starting rotation.

I think you underrate Rubio, also. He can't shoot, at age 23 he's one of the 5 best passers in the game, he's solid on defense, and he never turns it over. He rebounds really well too. As a Celtics fan, you ought to appreciate a guy like that =)

Rubio is overrated.  Last season half the time he was not even playing the 4th quarter.   He is a worse shooter than Rondo.

But they will get somebody to offer a package for him.

Lavine wants to play the point. His slender body is not built to play against guys like Beal, Thompson.  Lavine is a kokky kid. A little Whinny. He is going to force his way to play point one way or another.

And i mean it might turn out to be a good thing.   Lavine and Wiggins would give you prob the most athletic backcourt in the league. Scary

He's super young, I guess, so who knows, but ball handling and passing are not strengths.

Rubio will keep getting better, and the Wolves will have a tough time bringing in other talent. You're right that they could trade him this season to try to build through the draft, but I don't see a better way for them to spend their money. If I was trying to cultivate the young talents of Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng, and Bennett, I'd be very glad to have a tactically expert point guard who can lead them. If I am managing the Wolves, I also know that between now and when I start doling out extensions for those four, I'm probably going to have to overpay somebody.

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2014, 12:26:17 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Only Lebron can turn two ages stars into two emerging stars....hahaha...Cavs rule the East for the next 5-7 years....

I'm not rushing to crown them. Love and Irving have never been to the playoffs and now they have championship expectations. I think Love can handle it, but Irving hasn't exactly been the perfect picture of maturity during his career.
I don't think Irving and Love's lack of Playoff experience will be too much of an issue. I think the bigger issue will be, like you said, that the Cavs will have issues on defense.

Experience plays a huge part in the playoffs. I think the Cavs will be elite level especially in the regular season, but if they meet up with Chicago in the ECF or the Spurs in the Finals, I don't see them beating either team. What made Miami work (and Boston for Banner 17) was you had 3 all-star, elite players who were over individual stats, tired of dragging teams to the playoffs year in, year out and just wanted to win. Can you ask Kyrie to make them same type of individual sacrifices that Ray Allen and Chris Bosh made when those big 3's were formed?

On paper, the Cavs should be an elite offensive team and ultimately a championship contender if they can get the defensive end together. But I'm not ready to hand them the league yet. They've got a lot to prove.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Who's trading for Rubio next season, by the way? Charlotte? Dallas? Milwaukee?

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2014, 12:31:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Experience plays a huge part in the playoffs. I think the Cavs will be elite level especially in the regular season, but if they meet up with Chicago in the ECF or the Spurs in the Finals, I don't see them beating either team. What made Miami work (and Boston for Banner 17) was you had 3 all-star, elite players who were over individual stats, tired of dragging teams to the playoffs year in, year out and just wanted to win. Can you ask Kyrie to make them same type of individual sacrifices that Ray Allen and Chris Bosh made when those big 3's were formed?

On paper, the Cavs should be an elite offensive team and ultimately a championship contender if they can get the defensive end together. But I'm not ready to hand them the league yet. They've got a lot to prove.

This sounds pretty on point. 

I expect Cleveland to be a top 2-3 team in the East.  I just don't expect them to get out of the East unless injury calamities strike Chicago again.

I also think a Western Conference team like San Antonio or even OKC would take CLE to the woodshed if they somehow made the Finals.

Cavs are going to be a championship contender for years to come.  I just don't see it all coming together and winning an NBA title in Year One, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2014, 12:39:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Kyrie + LeBron + K-Love is an amazingly good trio.

Those guys are going to be insanely difficult to defend.

Celtics seem to be one of the few teams in the league that actually have the roster make-up to be able to defend this type of team.

But yeah.
I get Rondo/AB/Smart being able to defend Kyrie and Green/Bass/Wallace able to effect Bron's game as much as it can be effected but I'm not seeing how Love is stopped.  AV either for that matter.  AV would kill the C's when they still had KG and Perk.  Zeller/KO/Sully/Fav/Anthony are not near KG/Perk's level on D.

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Celtics seem to be one of the few teams in the league that actually have the roster make-up to be able to defend this type of team.

But yeah.
I get Rondo/AB/Smart being able to defend Kyrie and Green/Bass/Wallace able to effect Bron's game as much as it can be effected but I'm not seeing how Love is stopped.  AV either for that matter.  AV would kill the C's when they still had KG and Perk.  Zeller/KO/Sully/Fav/Anthony are not near KG/Perk's level on D.

Sullinger match-ups quite favorably against Love. So... don't see how that's hard to envision. As for Varejao, from a defensive perspective, I Zeller/KO shouldn't have much problems with him.

So yes, it's a talented team that will be hard to guard, but the Celtics are very well equipped to do so.

It was the same thing with the Heat these past seasons. When we were healthy, as opposed to the rest of the league, we match-uped very well against them. Doesn't mean we were a lock to beat them or anything like that, but from a match-up perspective, particularly defensively, our team was well prepared for that challenge.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:48:24 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2014, 12:47:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

But yeah.

Sullinger match-ups quite favorably against Love. So... don't see how that's hard to envision.
Yeah?  I don't recall Sullinger defending many 3 point shooters.

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

But yeah.

Sullinger match-ups quite favorably against Love. So... don't see how that's hard to envision.
Yeah?  I don't recall Sullinger defending many 3 point shooters.

Yeah, I don't recall Love having a more efficient game against the Celtics than his average against the Celtics in the past years in the limited games we played... in fact, just the opposite. With that said, the only game in which Sully played a full game against him, Love shot an awesome 36% from the floor.

Sullinger is a good rebounder, he actually has quick feet, and plays very good positional defense, and has a strong frame.

So yeah, Love-Sullinger is no problem. Doesn't mean that Love won't have some good games against us, but Sullinger will defend him well.

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

I doubt they beat SA or Chicago too. Or OKC for that matter. And experience is important, but I doubt a lack of experience will prevent them from reaching at least the ECF.

I get the sacrifice thing, but I don't think that'll be much of a problem either. Getting either to give up shots or touches provided they win a lot, which they will, won't be too big a problem. The problem will be encouraging either to put effort towards defending when they've been given a free pass until now. It'll probably be harder to change their attitude towards defense, than it will on offense.

At the end of the day, we're arguing towards the same thing. The Cavs won't win it all next season. I just think their biggest impediment will be defense.

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2014, 12:59:31 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Not bad for Minny. Wiggins, Bennet, and a 1st doesn't match Love's salary so what else can the cavs ship out? Or a TE?

Now that this is confirmed, we should have no rush to compete for at least two years (not that we can just switch it on) since Cleveland will be the past few years Miami. LBJ is only on a two year deal which is the minimum contention period they have so why waste money and time treading water while they or Miami, Chicago, or whoever win the east?

I'm not saying tank but I don't think any big splashes in FA or trading picks will help us long term if we do it over the next two seasons.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

But yeah.

ummm....

huh?

ummm... yeah?

that's a lonely island you're sittin on.

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

But yeah.

I was the thinking the same.

The Celtics defense one through four is a very strong. It's really only centers that Boston has consistent problems with.

The backcourt defense is excellent. There are very few teams that can cause problems from Boston there. A little vulnerable to big SGs but there are very few of them in the league right now with the skill to exploit that. Jeff Green is one of the most well rounded man-to-man defensive SFs in the league. Good depth with G.Wallace available also. Perimeter defense one of the best in the league.

Sullinger can occasionally have some problems with quick fours and maybe some tall fours like Aldridge but Sully matches up well against someone like Kevin Love. Has the strength to challenge him in the paint and comparable mobility / quickness to stay with K-Love away from the basket. Sullinger has done a good job defending + rebounding against Kevin Love in the past.

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

But yeah.

ummm....

huh?

ummm... yeah?

that's a lonely island you're sittin on.

Just the opposite.

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Now that this is confirmed, we should have no rush to compete for at least two years (not that we can just switch it on) since Cleveland will be the past few years Miami. LBJ is only on a two year deal which is the minimum contention period they have so why waste money and time treading water while they or Miami, Chicago, or whoever win the east?

I'm not saying tank but I don't think any big splashes in FA or trading picks will help us long term if we do it over the next two seasons.

I'm sorry, but this is... silly. As long as the NBA is around, there's always going to be a superteam that people prematurely crown champion. So in 2 years, 3, years, 10 years, should we not field a competitive because there's a better team in our conference or the league?

What if Dallas had that logic in 2011? Or the Spurs last year?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman