Author Topic: Cavs have deal for Love in place with contract committment  (Read 19480 times)

Re: Cavs have deal for Love in place with contract committment
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 11:14:42 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Cleveland gave quite a bit of value here for Love, who might end up being a one-year rental (probably not), we'll see how that goes.

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Cleveland gave quite a bit of value here for Love, who might end up being a one-year rental (probably not), we'll see how that goes.

According to Woj, he's committed to resign in the offseason.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 11:17:39 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
So, if Cavs dont get three #1 picks in 4 years they likely dont get Lebron back, and likely dont get Love...

I hate to think the NBA is like the WWE...but three #1 picks in 4 years? while having a better record than the C's this year.

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 11:17:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Which is fundamentally a non-binding promise.

If LeBron stays so will Love however.

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Kyrie + LeBron + K-Love is an amazingly good trio.

Those guys are going to be insanely difficult to defend.

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Only Lebron can turn two ages stars into two emerging stars....hahaha...Cavs rule the East for the next 5-7 years....

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 11:27:11 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I hope Klay Thompson and GSW are ready for a new level of scrutiny. If he doesn't jump to all-star status and the team finishes in the bottom 4 again, they're going to get lambasted by the media and fans alike.

I like Thompson's game, but having a starting lineup of Curry/K.Mart/Iguodala/Love/Bogut with bench pieces like Livingston and (presumably) Barnes and/or Green would've pushed them into the top 4. That would've been a potent offensive team with a nice mix of defenders. Still can't believe they passed that up.

Kyrie + LeBron + K-Love is an amazingly good trio.

Those guys are going to be insanely difficult to defend.

They will be tough to defend, but can they play defense in return? That's going to be their Achilles heel moving forward.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
apparently Flip was right on waiting and smarter than I. i'm sure we'll hear him say this was the reason he didn't jump at an offer earlier.

I still think he's an idiot who just got lucky though.

so where does wiggins go in 4 yr's.?

Likely Minnesota. He will be restricted.

even if he pulls a Love?

He's a restricted FA, you offer him the 4/5 year max depending on how good he is. If he refuses you let him go sign and offer sheet and then match. Highly unlikely he'll take the QO and play out his rookie deal without an extension.

The ENTIRE reason the Wolves are in this situation is that they stupidly didn't give the 5 year deal to Love to save it for Rubio and then "compromised" by giving him an opt out just 3 years into his extension.

That was entirely avoidable.

so we're all of a sudden supposed to expect the track record to change just because?

Well, the track record suggests that every player who is offered a max extension on his rookie contract has signed one.  So, if Wiggins pans out, and Minnesota offers him max money, he's probably re-upping with the Twolves.

all i'm saying is if wiggins is at the level of Love in 3 - 4 yrs. and the T-Wolves are being the team they've been for yr's. I would not be surprised to see Wiggins wanting out, regardless of his contract situation. and I don't think it's completely outrageous to think otherwise given the track record of them not committing to being anything other than a revolving door.

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Which is fundamentally a non-binding promise.

If LeBron stays so will Love however.

Right, although usually teams can insist that you formally waive your player option (ala Dwight).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
If Stephen A. Smith is right (and that's a big if), Flip screwed the franchise over big-time, b/c he balked on a pre-draft deal w/ the Warriors that would have netted Thompson, Lee, and Barnes in return for Love, Martin, and the #13 pick...and he balked on that b/c he wanted the #13 pick. If that's actually true...wow. This is a far inferior deal. Yet another absurdly large break going the Cavs' way. I only hope their front office messes up this team like they are capable of.

besides stating the obvious that Stephen A. Smith is a complete idiot. he is a biased west coast guy. he thinks Klay is the 2nd coming of jesus. so any deal would have paled in comparison in his opinion.

Minn. held out for more. they just as easily could have looked really stupid instead of looking really smart right now. if wiggins isn't jeff green 2.0 and is at least more consistent than green then that was the better trade.

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Wiggins can totally want out at that point. He'll likely want guaranteed money with a long-term deal more so. Money cures all ails with aggrieved restricted free agents. Don't you remember the stories of a "disgruntled" Kyrie who wanted out of Cleveland? $90 million over the next five years sure made him happy.

And Flip was absolutely right to turn down the Warriors offer. Why in the hell should he have to give up the best player in the deal AND his lottery pick in a loaded draft?

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
who wins a 20 minute 5 on 5 game:

Varejao, Love, Lebron, Irving, Waiters vintage 2015
vs
Anderson, Bosh, Lebron, Wade, Allen vintage 2014

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Only Lebron can turn two ages stars into two emerging stars....hahaha...Cavs rule the East for the next 5-7 years....

I'm not rushing to crown them. Love and Irving have never been to the playoffs and now they have championship expectations. I think Love can handle it, but Irving hasn't exactly been the perfect picture of maturity during his career.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

The Warriors trade would have been better if the Wolves wanted to stay competitive. How competitive do you guys think the Wolves are trying to be next year? Can a starting 5 of Rubio-Martin-Budinger-Thad Young-Pekovic make the playoffs? It would in the East, but in the West I'd say no.

They will have to overpay Rubio to keep him past next year, but that might be the wise move. What they're really looking forward to is a team a couple of years from now that will feature Rubio-Lavine-Wiggins-Bennett-Dieng.

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 11:53:49 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Im very surprise he would sign a long term deal in Cleveland
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin