Author Topic: Cavs have deal for Love in place with contract committment  (Read 19442 times)

Re: Cavs have deal for Love in place with contract committment
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
apparently Flip was right on waiting and smarter than I. i'm sure we'll hear him say this was the reason he didn't jump at an offer earlier.

I still think he's an idiot who just got lucky though.

so where does wiggins go in 4 yr's.?

Likely Minnesota. He will be restricted.

even if he pulls a Love?

He's a restricted FA, you offer him the 4/5 year max depending on how good he is. If he refuses you let him go sign and offer sheet and then match. Highly unlikely he'll take the QO and play out his rookie deal without an extension.

The ENTIRE reason the Wolves are in this situation is that they stupidly didn't give the 5 year deal to Love to save it for Rubio and then "compromised" by giving him an opt out just 3 years into his extension.

That was entirely avoidable.

so we're all of a sudden supposed to expect the track record to change just because?

Well, the track record suggests that every player who is offered a max extension on his rookie contract has signed one.  So, if Wiggins pans out, and Minnesota offers him max money, he's probably re-upping with the Twolves.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
apparently Flip was right on waiting and smarter than I. i'm sure we'll hear him say this was the reason he didn't jump at an offer earlier.

even if he pulls a Love?

He's a restricted FA, you offer him the 4/5 year max depending on how good he is. If he refuses you let him go sign and offer sheet and then match. Highly unlikely he'll take the QO and play out his rookie deal without an extension.

The ENTIRE reason the Wolves are in this situation is that they stupidly didn't give the 5 year deal to Love to save it for Rubio and then "compromised" by giving him an opt out just 3 years into his extension.

so we're all of a sudden supposed to expect the track record to change just because?

Well, the track record suggests that every player who is offered a max extension on his rookie contract has signed one.  So, if Wiggins pans out, and Minnesota offers him max money, he's probably re-upping with the Twolves.

Right, remember: Love wanted that 5 year deal, and was legitimately (and rightfully) p---ed that he didn't get one. If he had, who knows what their situation would've been like two years from now: he might have wound up retiring there.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So they couldn't sign the free agents when they were a 50 win team with KG because you're not counting the free agents they signed?

sorry I was speaking in general terms. I meant quality free agents, to keep them as legit contenders outside of the 1 yr. they made it past the 1st rnd.

they couldn't maintain what they were doing.
Minnesota signed plenty of free agents, they just didn't pan out aside from Spree and Sam.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

even if he pulls a Love?

Yup.

If the Wolves had believed Kevin Love was a max level player he'd still be a Timberwolf for another two years.

But Kahn/Rambis didn't think he was, hence "saving" the designated player for Rubio, disallowing him from shooting jumpers his rookie year, and limiting his playing time immensely.

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:46:41 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102

even if he pulls a Love?

I think so. Kahn was an unmitigated disaster. The Love extension was botched, inexcusably. The roster management and drafting was horrific. By not building a winner and by not locking up Love, Kahn allowed him to get away.

If Minny can build a winning team (which with all this talent they should), and if they continue to make better draft picks (they have the past two years) and manage the roster a bit better, their young guys will be glad to resign there.

KG wanted to stay there and win there but it got too bleak. Love was likely miserable living through the Kahn era. Wiggins and co have a totally fresh start and could change the culture, which is what they need.

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Dang ping pong balls. Minny is going the rebuild route in better fashion than the C's.

Now where does Pek end up? He probably won't be lasting long on that squad.

Contracts Don't Add Up
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »

Offline hondobird33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Must be more players than just Wiggins & Bennett since their combines salaries are only $11m versus Love at $15.7m. What gives?

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Cleveland has a pretty nice team now.

Irving waitors Lebron love varejao
Miller (likely Shawn marion) Thompson Haywood

Solid mix of vets and young talent.

That starting unit is going to be way too dependent on Lebron & a diminished Varejao for defense. Wonder if they'll look to move Waiters.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Dang ping pong balls. Minny is going the rebuild route in better fashion than the C's.

Now where does Pek end up? He probably won't be lasting long on that squad.
I'm thinking Martin is the primary candidate to be traded.  makes too much to be on that youngster brigade and is blocking Wiggins (theoretically) although if I'm Minny, I throw Wiggins in as starter and let Martin come off the bench until he's moved.

Re: Contracts Don't Add Up
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Must be more players than just Wiggins & Bennett since their combines salaries are only $11m versus Love at $15.7m. What gives?
For a non-taxpaying team they can take back 11 million + 5 million in salary.

84. How do simultaneous trades work? How much salary can a team take back in a simultaneous trade?

A simultaneous trade takes place all at once. The amount of salary a team can take back in a simultaneous trade depends on the outgoing salary and whether the team is a taxpayer.1 They always use the post-trade team salary when looking at whether a team is a taxpayer, so a team under the tax level would be considered a taxpayer if the trade takes them over the tax level.2

For non-taxpaying teams (again, they must be under the tax level after the trade), the salaries that can be acquired depend on the total salaries the team is trading away:

Non-Taxpaying Teams
Outgoing salary   Maximum incoming salary
$0 to $9.8 million   150% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,0003
$9.8 million to $19.6 million   The outgoing salary plus $5 million2
$19.6 million and up   125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
If Stephen A. Smith is right (and that's a big if), Flip screwed the franchise over big-time, b/c he balked on a pre-draft deal w/ the Warriors that would have netted Thompson, Lee, and Barnes in return for Love, Martin, and the #13 pick...and he balked on that b/c he wanted the #13 pick. If that's actually true...wow. This is a far inferior deal. Yet another absurdly large break going the Cavs' way. I only hope their front office messes up this team like they are capable of.

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If Stephen A. Smith is right (and that's a big if), Flip screwed the franchise over big-time, b/c he balked on a pre-draft deal w/ the Warriors that would have netted Thompson, Lee, and Barnes in return for Love, Martin, and the #13 pick...and he balked on that b/c he wanted the #13 pick. If that's actually true...wow. This is a far inferior deal. Yet another absurdly large break going the Cavs' way. I only hope their front office messes up this team like they are capable of.

Minny would've given up the best player in the deal (by far) and a lottery pick for the right to overpay Lee for 2 years, and overpay Thompson this offseason. This is a much better deal IMO.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 11:10:27 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Minny would've given up the best player in the deal (by far) and a lottery pick for the right to overpay Lee for 2 years, and overpay Thompson this offseason. This is a much better deal IMO.

Agreed.  The Warriors deal definitely isn't as good as the one from Cleveland.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102

I think this depends on whether or not you believe Klay is a surefire superstar to be. Barnes is a nice prospect but he's been struggling big time. Lee is a zero for the 'Wolves rebuilding plans.

I kinda think I'd rather have Wiggins, Bennett, 1st rounder & LaVine (more young players on better contracts) than Klay and Barnes (Klay may require a huge extension soon) and throwaway Lee. Maybe that's because I'm very high on Wiggins and LaVine, and like the addition of a 1st and Bennett as garnish. 

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 11:14:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Warriors seriously screwed up if they really had a chance to close the deal giving up Klay/Lee + filler to land Love the days before the draft.

Torpedoed a chance to move into the elite of the western conference.