Author Topic: Warriors would trade Lee to help sign Klay?  (Read 3447 times)

Warriors would trade Lee to help sign Klay?
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If we traded 3 expiring contracts in Bass, Thornton, and Anthony with a pick-

Would the Warriors trade Lee and Barnes?

They have Bogut, Lee, Igoudala, and Curry to pay already.  They can't possibly pay Klay too?  They will be in a situation with Klay next summer that Bledsoe and Monroe are in- he wants max money but they will be well over the tax line.

It would mean no cap room until 2016 for us- when Wallace and Lee come off the books.  It does make us better- Leecould play center and Barnes could push Turner for backup SF minutes.  Or Turner could move to SG with Thornton gone.

Not enough value for Warriors even in a salary dump?  Give them 2 picks?  Young?

Re: Warriors would trade Lee to help sign Klay?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:53:38 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I don't think lee moves the needle for us much. We would need to add more.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:01:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

They have Bogut, Lee, Igoudala, and Curry to pay already.  They can't possibly pay Klay too?  They will be in a situation with Klay next summer that Bledsoe and Monroe are in- he wants max money but they will be well over the tax line.

It would mean no cap room until 2016 for us- when Wallace and Lee come off the books.  It does make us better- Leecould play center and Barnes could push Turner for backup SF minutes.  Or Turner could move to SG with Thornton gone.

Not enough value for Warriors even in a salary dump?  Give them 2 picks?  Young?

What kind of a pick?

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

not seeing the value here.

Lee is essentially Hump.  he's a PF that could play C in a pinch but should really stick to playing PF.  Barnes still hasn't really shown anything yet.  wouldn't beat out Green or Turner for minutes.  already have a SF under development now - Young. 

we'd be giving GS cap relief sooner and players that would be useful to GS in Bass and Thornton and even Anthony might be serviceable.  if anything, I'd want a pick from GS -- not give them one.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:32:52 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't see the Warriors doing something like this. They were a pretty good team last year, and David Lee's deal isn't that bad.  I get that the main point the OP is making is that the Warriors won't want to keep so many highly paid players on the roster next year, but I bet the Warriors wait until the off season to deal with those issues. Right now, they are in win-now mode, and the trade takes them a step back...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 09:33:32 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

not seeing the value here.

Lee is essentially Hump.  he's a PF that could play C in a pinch but should really stick to playing PF.  Barnes still hasn't really shown anything yet.  wouldn't beat out Green or Turner for minutes.  already have a SF under development now - Young. 

we'd be giving GS cap relief sooner and players that would be useful to GS in Bass and Thornton and even Anthony might be serviceable.  if anything, I'd want a pick from GS -- not give them one.

I think David Lee is pretty good and certainly wouldn't be upset if we got him.

However, I mentioned in another post, that if Thaddeus Young doesn't end up getting moved in the Love deal, I would call and Philly and see if they would take Sullinger and Bass for Young and another piece.

I think Young, Olynyk and Zeller is a pretty athletic front court without Bass and Sullinger slowing it down.

Maybe Green, Sully and Bass for Young, JRich and a future 1st rounder.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:40:02 AM by gpap »

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:36:12 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
To me, Lee is an upgrade over Bass and he can play center.  This trade also makes us longer by moving Turner to SG and getting Barnes at SF.  It takes Thornton and Bass out of the lineup, freeing up minutes to give to our younger SGs and PFs. 

It also lines up our big contracts to come off at the same time:  Green, Lee, Wallace ($35 million).  If in 2 years, they all walk and we get nothing in return: we still have a roster loaded with younger players, cap space, and Young in his 3rd year would be looking for a breakout year with Green gone.

In the meantime we have a solid first team:  Rondo, Bradley, Green, Olynyk, Lee and a pretty dang good second team:  Smart, Turner, Barnes, Sullinger, Zeller. 

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 09:39:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Lee plays good defense   NOT!

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
To me, Lee is an upgrade over Bass and he can play center.  This trade also makes us longer by moving Turner to SG and getting Barnes at SF.  It takes Thornton and Bass out of the lineup, freeing up minutes to give to our younger SGs and PFs. 

It also lines up our big contracts to come off at the same time:  Green, Lee, Wallace ($35 million).  If in 2 years, they all walk and we get nothing in return: we still have a roster loaded with younger players, cap space, and Young in his 3rd year would be looking for a breakout year with Green gone.

In the meantime we have a solid first team:  Rondo, Bradley, Green, Olynyk, Lee and a pretty dang good second team:  Smart, Turner, Barnes, Sullinger, Zeller.

I agree with it making sense for Boston. I just don't see any reason for GSW to make a move like this now. But I agree with your point they may want to free up space in the offseason so as to pay Klay.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
They may take a step back this year if they did the trade.  Bass would start at PF instead of Lee, so they would see a drop off.  Green can still play the 4 for them in a small lineup.  Anthony helps them at backup center.

The big help for them may be Thornton scoring off the bench.  They had Jack two years ago and Crawford last year. 

They have $35/mil a year for 3 more years under contract for Curry, Bogut, and Igoudala.  Add Lee and they are at 50.  Add Thomson a year from now and they could have $65 mil just in their starting lineup. They signed Shaun Livingston for 3 years at $5.3 mil per.   Add in that Barnes, Ezeli, and Green will not be under rookie contracts, and any first round picks they make next summer that they will have to pay. 

Lee is valuable to them, but not for $15 million. 

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Lee is valuable to them, but not for $15 million.

If David Lee were a free agent this offseason, he would have been offered a contract north of $15M/year.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I thought The Celtics were trying to get rid of Bass??

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd love to have David Lee if we don't have Sullinger or Olynyk. There will be too much similarities and if he's our Center, we won't go anywhere.

I'd ask for Ezeli instead of Barnes.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd ask for Ezeli instead of Barnes.

I'd want a better feel for how Ezeli is recovering from missing an entire season due to reconstructive knee surgery before I embrace trying to trade for him.  Golden State probably doesn't even consider giving him up unless they can get center who they feel comfortable starting for a few games when Bogut is out.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference