Author Topic: IDEA: George/Hill for Rondo/Green  (Read 10152 times)

Re: IDEA: George/Hill for Rondo/Green
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The Pacers are not going to trade away their 24-year-old franchise cornerstone just because he broke his leg.

That's not an accurate representation of the issue. The Pacers have to make a decision about he direction of their franchise now that their cornerstone is out for a year or two, and may never be he same again. They were built to contend last year and in the next two years, now that's out the window. Hibbert and West will likely leave, leaving them with an uncertainty in George, a mediocre player in Hill, and that's it.

Btw, if George was this supposed top 10 superstar , the Pacers, with the talent they had last year around him, wouldn't have sucked so badly.

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I think this is a very reasonable trade, and in fact I had proposed the exact same deal in another thread a couple of days ago. Some of you guys are totally overvaluing pre-injury George, and are not being realistic at the issues the Pacers face here. George will not be back and playing at his previous level in a year. It will realistically take him at least 2 years to return to his pre-injury form. The Pacers basically are out of contention for the next two seasons and have a large question mark about the season after that, as Hibbert and West will likely be gone by then , and there is no guarantee hat George returns to his pre-injury form.

If they trade for a contract year Rondo now two seasons past his acl surgery, and Green  they can remain competitive with Rondo, Hibbert, Green, and West, and can add to that group. The celtics are young and in deep rebuild, they can afford to wait two plus years for George to recover. Would either team do this? Who knows, but it's a reasonable proposition.

Every one of your points have been addressed. I'm sorry you don't seem to like the answers & the truth. The Pacers can make other deals beyond mortgaging their best player to achieve a mid-table playoff spot.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think this is a very reasonable trade, and in fact I had proposed the exact same deal in another thread a couple of days ago. Some of you guys are totally overvaluing pre-injury George, and are not being realistic at the issues the Pacers face here. George will not be back and playing at his previous level in a year. It will realistically take him at least 2 years to return to his pre-injury form. The Pacers basically are out of contention for the next two seasons and have a large question mark about the season after that, as Hibbert and West will likely be gone by then , and there is no guarantee hat George returns to his pre-injury form.

If they trade for a contract year Rondo now two seasons past his acl surgery, and Green  they can remain competitive with Rondo, Hibbert, Green, and West, and can add to that group. The celtics are young and in deep rebuild, they can afford to wait two plus years for George to recover. Would either team do this? Who knows, but it's a reasonable proposition.

Every one of your points have been addressed. I'm sorry you don't seem to like the answers & the truth. The Pacers can make other deals beyond mortgaging their best player to achieve a mid-table playoff spot.

Why don't you provide quotes to where they have been addressed. I have not seen those points addressed.

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The future for their franchise is Paul George. They can and will afford to wait to see how he recovers before contemplating moving him, much like Boston did with Rondo and Chicago with Rose. They didn't invest that much money in him to make a rash panic move.  George easily takes precedence over West and Hibbert.

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
op's trade idea very creative, although it will never happen. TP

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Has there ever been a team that has lost a player like this that has ever turned around and then traded the player...especially a GOOD player?  I can't think of one off the top of my head, which makes me believe that there would be no chance of this deal going through.

Think of the perception issue you would have here...Guy gets wounded playing for the US and the team immediately trades him as if he were trash.  Not quite the legacy that Larry has or would want to continue to have.  That would be akin to a National Guard man who goes to war, gets injured, and his company fires him.

Rak

Some teams wish they had. E.g., Knicks with Bernard King.

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
You know, Indy clearly had some fundamental chemistry issues before the George injury.  The trade idea is not such a bad idea.

They seem ripe for a shake up.

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I don't think Indiana would do the trade.  Both Rondo and Green can walk at the end of the season (Green has an opt out option).  So worst case, they trade 2 starters and one year later, they have nothing at all.

Maybe they could trade with Philly.  They seem to like to get players that are injured for the year but I can't imagine what it would take for Indiana to give up George.

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It is actually a pretty fair trade, straight up.

Have to disagree with that. PG is a top 5 player in the league (my other picks: LeBron, KD, CP3, Davis), whereas Rondo isn't even top 5 at his position (CP3, Rose, Parker, Westbrook, Curry, Kyrie). Green can't begin to make up the difference. I don't think Indy would make this trade even if Ainge added both Brooklyn picks, and if they did agree to it I'd worry that they had some info on George's leg that they weren't sharing.

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 02:18:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Has there ever been a team that has lost a player like this that has ever turned around and then traded the player...especially a GOOD player?  I can't think of one off the top of my head, which makes me believe that there would be no chance of this deal going through.

Think of the perception issue you would have here...Guy gets wounded playing for the US and the team immediately trades him as if he were trash.  Not quite the legacy that Larry has or would want to continue to have.  That would be akin to a National Guard man who goes to war, gets injured, and his company fires him.

Rak

Some teams wish they had. E.g., Knicks with Bernard King.

Fair point. Arenas and the Wizards is a similar,  more recent, example for people who might not be too familiar with King.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 02:24:27 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The simple fact that Indiana didn't bother trading Granger away while he was injured - with a degenerative knee condition, mind you - despite George's concurrent ascension should indicate that the Pacers' front office probably isn't big on knee jerk trades.  They waited until he returned, proved ineffective, and THEN traded him.

I mean, do people honestly believe Bird would rather keep Hibbert and West and trade George rather than the other way around? It's not as if the Pacers were favorites even before the injury.

If they punt this year, they punt this year. It happens. Injuries suck, but you deal with them wisely. Not by trading away your max star before you even get a chance to see how he recovers to salvage some unlikely title run.

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:44 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
The simple fact that Indiana didn't bother trading Granger away while he was injured - with a degenerative knee condition, mind you - despite George's concurrent ascension should indicate that the Pacers' front office probably isn't big on knee jerk trades.  They waited until he returned, proved ineffective, and THEN traded him.

This is a reasonable point. Bird may act as he acted before. That said, how did the Granger experience work out for him? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1868724-why-the-indiana-pacers-no-longer-need-danny-granger

The proposed trade might literally be the Pacers only chance to get something of value for Paul George.

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
The Pacers are not going to trade away their 24-year-old franchise cornerstone just because he broke his leg.

That's not an accurate representation of the issue. The Pacers have to make a decision about he direction of their franchise now that their cornerstone is out for a year or two, and may never be he same again. They were built to contend last year and in the next two years, now that's out the window. Hibbert and West will likely leave, leaving them with an uncertainty in George, a mediocre player in Hill, and that's it.

Btw, if George was this supposed top 10 superstar , the Pacers, with the talent they had last year around him, wouldn't have sucked so badly.

How did the George injury get stretched to two years now? Seems reasonable to expect that he'll be recovered in 15 months, for the start of the next season, and back to full capability for the playoffs almost six months after that.

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Hibbert might still be a Pacer after that season.  The guy they should consider moving the most is David West.

There's nothing wrong with spending a season or two at a level where they are neither contending for a title nor bottoming out.  Their best shot at contending again is for Paul George to recover fully.  The Pacers should build the team towards that scenario without giving up any draft picks or dipping into the luxury tax, with a team good enough to make the playoffs if a lot of things go right, but with a chance at a solid lottery pick if a lot of things go wrong.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

How did the George injury get stretched to two years now? Seems reasonable to expect that he'll be recovered in 15 months, for the start of the next season, and back to full capability for the playoffs almost six months after that.

I have no idea.

Last I heard, George should be back in plenty of time for the 15-16 season.

Not sure where the 2 year recovery prognosis came from.