Author Topic: Jeff Green Trade Ideas  (Read 6196 times)

Jeff Green Trade Ideas
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:23:34 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Trade # 1:

MEM receives: Jeff Green
BOS receives: Tayshaun Prince

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n3cfkbo

BOS gets the expiring contract of Tayshaun Prince and clears more cap space for 2015 free agency. Boston can use the expiring to acquire a 2nd rounder from a playoff team looking for a push. With Green's ability to defend and shoot the 3, MEM gets another wing who is an upgrade at the SF position and can come right in and start. 

Trade # 2:

OKC receives: Jeff Green & Chris Johnson
BOS receives: Perkins & OKC's 2015 1st round pick

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lpwwk7y

This trade puts Boston in a position to have enough cap space to be buyers in the 2015 free agent market. It also gives the Celtics a rim protector in 2015 (15-20 minutes), all the while giving Zeller enough minutes to improve his game and showcase his talent. OKC gets Green and Johnson which gives them two more weapons on both sides of the ball. Both can shoot the 3. Green can start or he and Johnson can both come off the bench.

Trade # 3: (3 team trade)

WAS receives: Jeff Green, Chris Johnson, 2015 2nd Round pick from Boston (via Sacramento), 2016 2nd round pick from PHI (via Denver)

PHI receives: Martell Webster & Glen Rice Jr.
BOS receives: Otto Porter Jr. & Jason Richardson (expiring)

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p6k4obg

Too much or too little to give up for Otto Porter JR?

Let me know what you think!

Re: Jeff Green Trade Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 12:52:40 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
After his play in the summer league, I don't think that Otto Porter Jr is going anywhere, and neither is Glen Rice Jr.  I would like to see Green traded for Prince, though.  Jeff would thrive in Memphis, and we'd get another expiring contract, although, and I hate to rain on your parade here or whatever, even if we made the financial room for a big free agent, none of them are coming here.  Sigh.

Regardless, welcome to celticsblog! :)

Edit - I didn't realize that Jason Richardson was still playing ;D

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:32:30 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Expectations are so low for Jeff green this year....don't be super surprised when he does well this year.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:03:40 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If Jeff Green exercises his option, he'd be a pretty good value contract given market conditions.

Even before now he was a very manageable contract.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:06:54 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Expectations are so low for Jeff green this year....don't be super surprised when he does well this year.

The only thing Green could do to surprise me at this point is to not be the exact same player he always has been. He is so consistent at being inconsistent game to game, but his averages per year don't change all that much.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 08:59:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The only thing Green could do to surprise me at this point is to not be the exact same player he always has been. He is so consistent at being inconsistent game to game, but his averages per year don't change all that much.
actually I'd be surprised if that were the case this year.  Jeff's coming into what could essentially be his last big contract year.  after seeing the paydays handed out to Parsons and Hayward who are basically the same player, I can't see him opting in for his last season if for no other reason than he could reasonably expect a $5 mill per year raise or more if he has a much more consistent season.

having said that, I'm not a fan of any of these deals.  too much going out for too little coming in.
Deal #1 --> Green is essentially an expiring since he's very likely to opt out.  nothing gained here from this deal.
Deal #2 --> love Perk to death for his time here but he's now toast.  deal essentially gives away Green for an OKC first which is at the tail of the first round.  Figuring Green to opt out anyway, he's essentially an expiring deal so nothing gained here.
Deal #3 --> Green's more accomplished than Porter right now, by a fair margin.  Already have Young in the wings to develop into our SF by the time Green and Wallace are gone.  not seeing the need to create yet another logjam position.  Porter's intriguing but not enough to give up more assets with Green to get him.  should be the other way around with Wash giving us more assets.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, I agree. He really doesn't have anything to lose at this point - I think he will play a much 'looser' game which is exactly what he should be doing.

And for the OP, it is likely that if Green has a decent year, he is an expiring contract. Also, no first coming back in the Prince deal (and a super-late one coming back from OKC)?

Green is a good player and if we are going to deal him, we should be looking to upgrade the position or bring in a promising young player at sf or c. The Porter idea is interesting.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

I don't know why expectations are low.  He's an excellent #3 option just not a go to player.  With Rondo healthy and with Turner around he will go back to a #3 option and do well...

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

actually I'd be surprised if that were the case this year.  Jeff's coming into what could essentially be his last big contract year.  after seeing the paydays handed out to Parsons and Hayward who are basically the same player, I can't see him opting in for his last season if for no other reason than he could reasonably expect a $5 mill per year raise or more if he has a much more consistent season.

having said that, I'm not a fan of any of these deals.  too much going out for too little coming in.
Deal #1 --> Green is essentially an expiring since he's very likely to opt out.  nothing gained here from this deal.
Deal #2 --> love Perk to death for his time here but he's now toast.  deal essentially gives away Green for an OKC first which is at the tail of the first round.  Figuring Green to opt out anyway, he's essentially an expiring deal so nothing gained here.
Deal #3 --> Green's more accomplished than Porter right now, by a fair margin.  Already have Young in the wings to develop into our SF by the time Green and Wallace are gone.  not seeing the need to create yet another logjam position.  Porter's intriguing but not enough to give up more assets with Green to get him.  should be the other way around with Wash giving us more assets.

Jeff Green may decide to opt out of his final year which would clear some cap space. However, that is a chance the Celtics shouldn't take. The Celtics may be better off riding themselves of Green this year. Don't get me wrong; I like Green, but I don't think he fits on this team now. It would take a big 3 with Green as the 4th option for him to thrive here. He was a perfect fit behind Pierce when we had Rondo, Pierce, & KG. Ainge is not going to give Green the option to decide the future of the team. He also isn't going to give Green another big contract. He'll let him walk before over paying him this time. Why let him walk when you can trade him now for an expiring contract and a pick or young talent. Trading JG may lose us a few more games or it may not, but having Wallace, Turner, Young makes Green expendable. 

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
Bradley/Thornton/Turner
Green/Wallace/Young
Sullinger/Olynyk/Bass
Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

Id prefer Perkins in at Center w/ Zeller off the bench. No green gives Young & Turner more minutes. Bass also has to go in order to get Sully & Olynyk more minutes. Having Perkins 9+ mil expiring at the deadline along with Thornton & Bass's (if he stays) gives us the ability to take on greater talent with bigger contracts. We can add in one of our young players along with picks and trade for an all star.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Jeff Green may decide to opt out of his final year which would clear some cap space. However, that is a chance the Celtics shouldn't take. The Celtics may be better off riding themselves of Green this year. Don't get me wrong; I like Green, but I don't think he fits on this team now. It would take a big 3 with Green as the 4th option for him to thrive here. He was a perfect fit behind Pierce when we had Rondo, Pierce, & KG. Ainge is not going to give Green the option to decide the future of the team. He also isn't going to give Green another big contract. He'll let him walk before over paying him this time. Why let him walk when you can trade him now for an expiring contract and a pick or young talent. Trading JG may lose us a few more games or it may not, but having Wallace, Turner, Young makes Green expendable. 

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
Bradley/Thornton/Turner
Green/Wallace/Young
Sullinger/Olynyk/Bass
Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

Id prefer Perkins in at Center w/ Zeller off the bench. No green gives Young & Turner more minutes. Bass also has to go in order to get Sully & Olynyk more minutes. Having Perkins 9+ mil expiring at the deadline along with Thornton & Bass's (if he stays) gives us the ability to take on greater talent with bigger contracts. We can add in one of our young players along with picks and trade for an all star.
didn't provide an explanation why you disagree.  Saying Ainge won't let Green decide at the end of the year is speculation.  probably correct, but speculation.  I'm not against dealing Green, but at least make a deal that benefits the team.  none of these trades does that.

why would you want Perk?  so what if he's expiring, Green is too for all intents and purposes but Green can actually play.  He's a far superior option to Turner and Wallace and let's face it, Young is spending the season in Maine.  I could care less about minutes for Turner and Wallace TBH.

Perk's done.  he'll kill us on the court when he plays and he'll bring far less in a deadline deal if one comes available.  At least Green would be wanted from a talent perspective by a team looking for that last piece to put them over the top for contention.

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Trade # 1:

MEM receives: Jeff Green
BOS receives: Tayshaun Prince

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n3cfkbo

BOS gets the expiring contract of Tayshaun Prince and clears more cap space for 2015 free agency. Boston can use the expiring to acquire a 2nd rounder from a playoff team looking for a push. With Green's ability to defend and shoot the 3, MEM gets another wing who is an upgrade at the SF position and can come right in and start. 

Trade # 2:

OKC receives: Jeff Green & Chris Johnson
BOS receives: Perkins & OKC's 2015 1st round pick

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lpwwk7y

This trade puts Boston in a position to have enough cap space to be buyers in the 2015 free agent market. It also gives the Celtics a rim protector in 2015 (15-20 minutes), all the while giving Zeller enough minutes to improve his game and showcase his talent. OKC gets Green and Johnson which gives them two more weapons on both sides of the ball. Both can shoot the 3. Green can start or he and Johnson can both come off the bench.

Trade # 3: (3 team trade)

WAS receives: Jeff Green, Chris Johnson, 2015 2nd Round pick from Boston (via Sacramento), 2016 2nd round pick from PHI (via Denver)

PHI receives: Martell Webster & Glen Rice Jr.
BOS receives: Otto Porter Jr. & Jason Richardson (expiring)

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p6k4obg

Too much or too little to give up for Otto Porter JR?

Let me know what you think!
trade 1: Green can opt out after 2014-2015 season. The thought is that he will in exchange for a long term contract even at a slightly lower annual salary. If he does opt out we will have just given him away for nothing, while if we wait until the trade deadline we could possibly get a late 1st round pick from a contender with small forward needs. Trade 2 is a good idea if OKC is happy with the Adams/McGary tandem. Trade 3: Seems reasonable but I don't think we need to add the picks. To me, trade 2 would be the winner since we get another 1st to add to our collection plus an expiring contract.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
Bradley/Thornton/Turner
Green/Wallace/Young
Sullinger/Olynyk/Bass
Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

didn't provide an explanation why you disagree.  Saying Ainge won't let Green decide at the end of the year is speculation.  probably correct, but speculation.  I'm not against dealing Green, but at least make a deal that benefits the team.  none of these trades does that.

why would you want Perk?  so what if he's expiring, Green is too for all intents and purposes but Green can actually play.  He's a far superior option to Turner and Wallace and let's face it, Young is spending the season in Maine.  I could care less about minutes for Turner and Wallace TBH.

Perk's done.  he'll kill us on the court when he plays and he'll bring far less in a deadline deal if one comes available.  At least Green would be wanted from a talent perspective by a team looking for that last piece to put them over the top for contention.

My reason for wanting Perkins isn't only his expiring contract. He will provide 15-20 minutes of Rim protection and will come with a late round pick. As I mentioned above, I would also like to include Lamb, McGary, or Jones in the deal for Perk if at all possible. But the basis of Perkins & an expiring for Green gives the Cs a rim protector and another player in the draft. Also, building around Rondo (if he isn't traded) is crucial to getting banner 18. Building through the draft is one way. Looking back at last year, the Cs were one loss away from having a better percentage of a chance to land a top 4 pick (instead of Utah). With one more loss, we could've had the 5th pick in the draft. Looking back I don't mind because we got Smart at 6, but next year the difference between the 5th and 6th picks could be significant. If letting go of Green gets me an expiring, a late 1st rounder, and loses me a game or two I don't mind that. Wouldn't classify this as tanking since we have replacement SFs and at least Perkins & a 1st would be benefits of the trade.

I was trying not to be greedy or unrealistic with the trade but essentially Bogans' non guaranteed contract could be added to the trade to get us  at least Jones and we could take on Collison. We could also send the trade exception for those players. Gets us Perry Jones and gives OKC flexibility to add one more piece. I'd prefer Lamb or McGary but again, I'm trying to be realistic.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
Bradley/Thornton/Turner
Green/Wallace/Young
Sullinger/Olynyk/Bass
Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

My reason for wanting Perkins isn't only his expiring contract. He will provide 15-20 minutes of Rim protection and will come with a late round pick. As I mentioned above, I would also like to include Lamb, McGary, or Jones in the deal for Perk if at all possible. But the basis of Perkins & an expiring for Green gives the Cs a rim protector and another player in the draft. Also, building around Rondo (if he isn't traded) is crucial to getting banner 18. Building through the draft is one way. Looking back at last year, the Cs were one loss away from having a better percentage of a chance to land a top 4 pick (instead of Utah). With one more loss, we could've had the 5th pick in the draft. Looking back I don't mind because we got Smart at 6, but next year the difference between the 5th and 6th picks could be significant. If letting go of Green gets me an expiring, a late 1st rounder, and loses me a game or two I don't mind that. Wouldn't classify this as tanking since we have replacement SFs and at least Perkins & a 1st would be benefits of the trade.

I was trying not to be greedy or unrealistic with the trade but essentially Bogans' non guaranteed contract could be added to the trade to get us  at least Jones and we could take on Collison. We could also send the trade exception for those players. Gets us Perry Jones and gives OKC flexibility to add one more piece. I'd prefer Lamb or McGary but again, I'm trying to be realistic.
I think where we disagree is on our assessment of Perk's remaining abilities.  you think he can still provide rim protection whereas I don't believe he does.  he hasn't really been a rim protector after his injury.  he can body big centers still but that's about it.

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd do trade 1 if it's Jeff Green and Vitor Faverani for Tayshaun Prince and Kosta Koufos.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Jeff Green is a top 8 small forward in the league. I think there are many teams that have holes at small forward:HOU, Washington,clips, detroit, NO, Minnesota are just a few off the top of my head.