Author Topic: Sources: Cavs Make Push For Shawn Marion  (Read 3590 times)

Sources: Cavs Make Push For Shawn Marion
« on: August 05, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I was wondering where he was going to end up, not that this is a done deal.  Even with Luol Deng, I'm kind of disappointed that Brooklyn or Miami didn't go after him, but only for the comedic value of seeing a team that features a bench/starting lineup (Brooklyn) with the likes of Mr. Andersen/Anderson and the Matrix ;)

I don't understand why Indiana would be interested in him, though.  They won't be contending this year and Solomon Hill should be given ample playing time to develop, imo.

Free-agent defensive stalwart Shawn Marion is the latest target for LeBron James' Cleveland Cavaliers, according to sources with knowledge of the team's plans.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Cavaliers are hosting Marion in Cleveland on Monday and are trying to complete a deal with the former Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks forward despite their inability to offer more than the league minimum.

Cavaliers general manager David Griffin has a strong relationship with Marion from their Phoenix days together and Cleveland, sources said, would love to bring Marion in to add depth, experience and versatility to a core that is expected to also feature Kevin Love if the Cavs complete their long-anticipated trade with Minnesota for the All-Star power forward later this month.

Marion is a natural target for the Indiana Pacers in the wake of the devastating injury suffered over the weekend by Paul George, but sources told ESPN.com that the Cavaliers -- thanks to the presence of James -- have the upper hand over Indiana or anyone else recruiting Marion at this juncture.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11309604/shawn-marion-being-sought-cleveland-cavaliers

I'm not sure that I'd call Marion a 'defensive stalwart' at 36, but whatever.  I'm not Marc Stein.

Re: Sources: Cavs Make Push For Shawn Marion
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Pacers are reportedly making a "strong push" to sign free agent Shawn Marion.

Shams Charania

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think the Pacers got a fair shot at making the playoffs if they manage to get Shawn Marion.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 05:29:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't understand why Indiana would be interested in him, though.

Their financial situation is such that they might strongly value simply making the playoffs and would like to avoid falling into the lottery for one year.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't understand why Indiana would be interested in him, though.

Their financial situation is such that they might strongly value simply making the playoffs and would like to avoid falling into the lottery for one year.

Especially since they're going to be on the hook for more than half of Paul George's contract next season, assuming he misses the whole thing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Shawn Marion is leaning towards signing with the Cavs.

Wojo

Updating a previous item, Chauncey Billups had a workout with the Cavs on Wednesday.

Marc spears

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Thanks for the update, TP :)  Chauncey Billups playing with Lebron?  Oh man.  Can he even contribute anything to a team, intangibles aside, anymore?  He was horrible for the Pistons last year.  Is James going to get Richard Hamilton to come out of retirement as well?  Quick, someone get Boobie Gibson on the line! ::) 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:38:53 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 10:30:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Thanks for the update, TP :)  Chauncey Billups playing with Lebron?  Oh man.  Can he even still contribute anything to a team, intangibles aside?  He was horrible for the Pistons last year.  Is James going to get Richard Hamilton to come out of retirement as well?  Quick, someone get Boobie Gibson on the line! ::)

IMO Chauncey is trying to get a foot in the door with as many coaching staffs as possible before he formally retires, upping the likelihood of him getting a coaching gig.

That said, I'm also sure he still feels he can contribute.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
wow cavs trying to get older, easier path for the bulls/spurs imo. and if wade is healthier this year than last year i think they can also beat cleveland. are they gonna sign judas too?

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
wow cavs trying to get older, easier path for the bulls/spurs imo. and if wade is healthier this year than last year i think they can also beat cleveland. are they gonna sign judas too?

I would think so.  Don't forget about Oden, either.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

They're creating roster balance. They have young players in Irving, Love (later this month), Thompson, and Waiters, so they're looking to supplement that with the addition of vets Miller, Allen, Marion, and Billups.

The Heat aren't going to be as good as you think. Now that is an old roster!

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:35:58 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Just as well there's plenty of room on LeBron's coattails  ::)
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 03:32:03 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I can't help myself but root for the Heat this year, just for trolling/comedy's sake.  If they beat the Cavs in the playoffs with their experience, I would absolutely lose it

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 05:19:09 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Shawn Marion is leaning towards signing with the Cavs.

Wojo

Updating a previous item, Chauncey Billups had a workout with the Cavs on Wednesday.

Marc spears
ray, chauncey, marion it's getting pretty ancient. what's next try and bring big z out of retirement?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 06:41:17 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I am pretty sure Tristan Thompson will play over matrix.