Author Topic: How to rebuild(a dream after a nightmare season)  (Read 3332 times)

How to rebuild(a dream after a nightmare season)
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:27:52 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think it's impossible for us to get a really good season with our current roster. We have a lot of good players, but we really need a few players who can the extraordinary things. I wouldn't like a team that in the very best scenario is a first round in the playoff and then still be a mediocre team for the next couple of years.

That's why I think we should try to have a look at, what's out there on teams, that might like to give away future assets for an improvement in this season.

The first asset we should have a look at is Paul George. Pacers are not in a rebuilding mode, so they might be interested in giving him up for an improvement now, and I think they will make us a call about Jeff Green. I think we should also include the philly-pick and the Clippers-pick and Bogans and Faverani as salary-fillers.

The next asset we should try to get is Stoudemires huge expering contract. The Knicks are really fed up with it, and I think we can use it to get rid of Wallace contract. Therefore I think we should try to dump Wallace, and include Bass and Anthonys expiring contracts in the deal.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l2zk6jk

The deal would be great for us, as we would get a lot of salary cap for the 2015/16 season and if and when Paul George is getting back from his injury we would have a superstar, and if we can resign Rondo we would have 2, and we would still have plenty of money to sign another star - did I forget to say, that we still have a lot of picks.

I think this would be win-win-win, an honestly we will still be better next season than we were last season!

Re: How to rebuild(a dream after a nightmare season)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I won't really say it was a nightmare season, we were expected to suck anyways and be in the lotto a la KG/PP trades, then mid-season more gutting of the roster.

And I SERIOUSLY doubt that Paul George will come our way, he is still young and should make a full recovery after a full year. Not that I oppose it, but it's us robbing the Pacers  ;D, and I always loved Amar'e game. Expiring contract or not, I honestly felt NY screwed him over

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One assumes that the Knicks wouldn't make that trade either, but I don't think I can trust the Knicks to make the smart move as long as Dolan is still running the show.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I thought we had a great season, especially since we ended up grabbing Smart and Young in the draft. Also, watching the player development of KO and Sully was fun. Green had his moments, but overall he just proved he is better than his stats suggest....I think he will do better than expected this year.

Neither of those trades happen IMO.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
It's always a gamble when it comes to broken bones, and often it takes more than a year before you are fully recovered, and now and then you never recover 100%. Lets say that he is out for 1,5 year - do the Pacers have time to gamble on him? maybe not - do we - I think so! Would Pacers be able to compete in the Eastern Conference now? I doubt it - with Jeff Green? maybe. Can we compete for the Eastern Conference with or without Jeff Green? No way!!

When it comes to Amare, then it's a sorry story. He used to be such a great player when he played for the Suns, but he's really not a great player anymore thanks to his injuries. I hate when great players end up like that, but I must admit, that I don't believe that the old Amare will never come back, which is why I think New York might be interested in dumbing his contract. Last year there were rumors that New York were willing to trade him for Wallace and Hump! If they want a pick, lets give them one - we have plenty!  ;)

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
"Would Pacers be able to compete in the Eastern Conference now? I doubt it - with Jeff Green?"

They have zero chance to win the championship with Green.
I'm shaking my head when i see thing like the Pacers will trade George for Green...  ::)

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
As for Amare trade. No way it happens. Knicks want to clear salary not add up in the long term.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If they want a pick, lets give them one - we have plenty!  ;)

This is the attitude of idiot GMs who squander their teams assets to make trades for the sake of making trades.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I think it's impossible for us to get a really good season with our current roster. We have a lot of good players, but we really need a few players who can the extraordinary things. I wouldn't like a team that in the very best scenario is a first round in the playoff and then still be a mediocre team for the next couple of years.

That's why I think we should try to have a look at, what's out there on teams, that might like to give away future assets for an improvement in this season.

The first asset we should have a look at is Paul George. Pacers are not in a rebuilding mode, so they might be interested in giving him up for an improvement now, and I think they will make us a call about Jeff Green. I think we should also include the philly-pick and the Clippers-pick and Bogans and Faverani as salary-fillers.

The next asset we should try to get is Stoudemires huge expering contract. The Knicks are really fed up with it, and I think we can use it to get rid of Wallace contract. Therefore I think we should try to dump Wallace, and include Bass and Anthonys expiring contracts in the deal.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l2zk6jk

The deal would be great for us, as we would get a lot of salary cap for the 2015/16 season and if and when Paul George is getting back from his injury we would have a superstar, and if we can resign Rondo we would have 2, and we would still have plenty of money to sign another star - did I forget to say, that we still have a lot of picks.

I think this would be win-win-win, an honestly we will still be better next season than we were last season!

So the Knicks, who are, "fed up with it" in regards to A'mare's contract are going to take on another year of salary rather than simply get out from under all that salary? In no way does this make sense for anyone but the Celtics. The Pacers aren't going to give up George for Green simply because he is injured, he's under contract for the next five seasons, there's no way they're going to dump him now for a lesser, expiring player.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I recommended giving up Rondo, Green and KO/a pick for George in another thread and was called a moron who knew nothing about basketball (as Indy would laugh in our faces) Yeah, that was pretty awesome...

Needless to say, Green and a couple of picks probably wouldn't do it. But I would be in favor of my original idea, even if it required a few sweeteners. Smart, AB, George, Sully, and solid center would be a great start for a very promising future - especially considering our other young pieces and draft picks.

I agree that it would be nice to stockpile more assets while we have the opportunity. We still have Bogans, Johnson, and Babb who we could use in a trade similarly to what we got from Cleveland.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I recommended giving up Rondo, Green and KO/a pick for George in another thread and was called a moron who knew nothing about basketball (as Indy would laugh in our faces) Yeah, that was pretty awesome...

Needless to say, Green and a couple of picks probably wouldn't do it. But I would be in favor of my original idea, even if it required a few sweeteners. Smart, AB, George, Sully, and solid center would be a great start for a very promising future - especially considering our other young pieces and draft picks.

I agree that it would be nice to stockpile more assets while we have the opportunity. We still have Bogans, Johnson, and Babb who we could use in a trade similarly to what we got from Cleveland.

This is a gamble. Paul George may not be the same player that he was prior to injury when he returns. Too horrific to recover IMHO
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:02:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Celtics Rebuild:

Brandon Bass, 2016 Protectet Cavs pick for Thomas Robinson, Victor Claver

Rajon Rondo sign-and-trade for Greg Monroe & 2 first round picks

Kelly Olynyk, Chris Johnson for Harrison Barnes & a second round pick

Jeff Green. Vitor Faverani for C.J Miles, C.J Watson & Ian Mahinmi

Roster:

PG: Smart/Watson/Pressey
SG: Bradley/Miles/Thornton
SF: Barnes/Wallace/Turner/Young
PF: Sullinger/Robinson
C:   Monroe/Mahinmi/Zeller

Out: Babb, Claver, Bogans, Anthony?
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Celtics Rebuild:

Brandon Bass, 2016 Protectet Cavs pick for Thomas Robinson, Victor Claver

Rajon Rondo sign-and-trade for Greg Monroe & 2 first round picks

Kelly Olynyk, Chris Johnson for Harrison Barnes & a second round pick

Jeff Green. Vitor Faverani for C.J Miles, C.J Watson & Ian Mahinmi

Roster:

PG: Smart/Watson/Pressey
SG: Bradley/Miles/Thornton
SF: Barnes/Wallace/Turner/Young
PF: Sullinger/Robinson
C:   Monroe/Mahinmi/Zeller

Out: Babb, Claver, Bogans, Anthony?

so your goal is to tank more than Philly this year?  no thanks.  I wouldn't pull the trigger on a single one of those trades.  we get the worst end of each one.