Author Topic: Lets Find A Home For Gerald Wallace (What's Yours?)  (Read 6848 times)

Re: Lets Find A Home For Gerald Wallace (What's Yours?)
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12

What's Yours?

I am unclear why you think Chicago would agree to this trade. Can you elaborate?

rose/brooks
gordon/snell
dunleavy/mcdermoth
gasol/mirotic
noah/mohamed

Jimmy Butler is one of the league's better wing defenders, and Taj Gibson was second in the voting for sixth man of the year last year. Chicago was the best defensive team in the league last year. Do they really want to sacrifice that much depth for an undersized shooting guard who makes $4M more than both Butler and Gibson combined?

well i agree but, maybe we change snell instead of butler, add a pick to bulls
then more, trade bass bogans faverani johnson pressey

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
anywhere but Boston, but I guess if he is cheap, I don't mind having him on our team

he is not cheap

I know he is not cheap, I meant if we use the stretch provision, it's not entirely too bad.
stretching Wallace would be foolish.  he's only got 2 years left which means he's a trade chip next year as an expiring deal and/or salary filler in a deal.  Stretching him now means he's on the books for 5 years doing nothing but cutting into the C's cap space.

we're not contending during his contrat with what little space stretching his contract would provide.  deal him next year if possible, if not, just let him expire in summer of 2016 and get $10 mill per year freed up.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If we're lucky, he'll be the salary filler in a deal next offseason in a deal to bring in a major talent.  he'll be an expiring deal, a year removed from injury and quite possibly playing with purpose knowing he's probably playing for his last contract after the year is up.

until then, he's calling Boston home.

exactly he's not going anywhere this year unless we take back a worse contract which doesn't make sense...

...unless that worse contract can actually be productive.

Detroit has a "worse" contract in Josh Smith, who can actually help us if Rondo/Stevens/Ainge can reign him in and have him play close to the basket on O. This helps us keep Rondo and makes us more competitive now. I think that Sully/KO/JSmith/Zeller is a pretty versatile and complimentary frontcourt in most pairings.

Detroit needs a SF, who can start where Josh Smith was supposed to. We all know how Smith at the 3 worked out (NOT). Let's give them two.

Detroit Out: Josh Smith and Kyle Singler
Detroit In: Wallace. Green and a pick

Bos out: Green and Wallace and pick
Bos In: JSmith and Singler

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qhx5z8x

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 11:27:07 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Retirement home? 

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
anywhere but Boston, but I guess if he is cheap, I don't mind having him on our team

he is not cheap

I know he is not cheap, I meant if we use the stretch provision, it's not entirely too bad.
stretching Wallace would be foolish.  he's only got 2 years left which means he's a trade chip next year as an expiring deal and/or salary filler in a deal.  Stretching him now means he's on the books for 5 years doing nothing but cutting into the C's cap space.

we're not contending during his contrat with what little space stretching his contract would provide.  deal him next year if possible, if not, just let him expire in summer of 2016 and get $10 mill per year freed up.

fair enough, good point

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 01:43:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If we're lucky, he'll be the salary filler in a deal next offseason in a deal to bring in a major talent.  he'll be an expiring deal, a year removed from injury and quite possibly playing with purpose knowing he's probably playing for his last contract after the year is up.

exactly he's not going anywhere this year unless we take back a worse contract which doesn't make sense...

Detroit has a "worse" contract in Josh Smith, who can actually help us if Rondo/Stevens/Ainge can reign him in and have him play close to the basket on O. This helps us keep Rondo and makes us more competitive now. I think that Sully/KO/JSmith/Zeller is a pretty versatile and complimentary frontcourt in most pairings.

Detroit needs a SF, who can start where Josh Smith was supposed to. We all know how Smith at the 3 worked out (NOT). Let's give them two.

calling Josh more productive would certainly be debatable.  in any case, that deal leaves us without a SF.  Turner can play there as could Smith but both are best suited for other positions.

Josh is making too much $ for too many years.  would rather have Green and Bass come off the payroll completely next year (fully expect Green to opt out of his deal in light of the overpayments handed out to Parsons and Hayward this year) than lock into Josh' deal.

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

he is not cheap

fair enough, good point
Yea tp for saying what I was gonna say.

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 02:22:24 PM »

Offline bballee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18

This one at least makes some sense.  I hate it but it does compute.  However, I think Smith's contract, and play for that matter, is so bad that the pick should be going the other way.

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Well, that trade leaves the Celtics with Josh Smith as the default SF, so it's a downgrade for the Celtics.  If you want Smith to play PF for Boston, you should clear out one of the young PFs who can hit a three and package him with one of the veteran SFs (with plans to start the one you keep). 

Is anyone clamoring to send Green, Bogans (or Bass), and Sullinger to the Pistons for Smith?  I'm not.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

calling Josh more productive would certainly be debatable.  in any case, that deal leaves us without a SF.  Turner can play there as could Smith but both are best suited for other positions.

Josh is making too much $ for too many years.  would rather have Green and Bass come off the payroll completely next year (fully expect Green to opt out of his deal in light of the overpayments handed out to Parsons and Hayward this year) than lock into Josh' deal.

I think Singler/Turner/Young could do the SF by committee.

I could deal with a third year of JSmith rather than 2 years of Gerald Wallace. Smith is a bigger, more athletic, more durable and younger Gerald Wallace. He is just as much a competitor as Crash, is a great/much better weak side shot blocker and is buddies with Rondo.

I know JSmith's attractiveness for our team is very much in the eye of the beholder. We can get him for relatively cheap, but we'd be stuck with him, if he wasn't a great fit. I get it.

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Retirement home?

My first thought, too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
How about Wallace and Philly's pick (2 seconds or 1 first) to OKC for Perk's expiring?

OKC has less need for Perk w/ Steven Adams developing quickly. Perk has played poorly and won't likely do much for them this season.

Wallace's value is at an all time low, so they likely scoff at this offer. However, with OKC in win now mode, perhaps they can swallow Wallace extra year in an effort to boost wing defense, rebounding and veteran savvy? Wallace can teach his physical protege, Andre Roberson how to become a key cog in the NBA going forward.

Wallace has a higher PER and may thrive again (to a lesser degree) on a really good team w/ Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka. He can't thrive on a rebuilding one like ours.

Perk could add a little nostalgia and rim protection in short minutes and provide Rondo binkie and veteran influence.

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Perk could add a little nostalgia ... binkie.

Well that part is true.

And I actually don't hate the trade as much as I thought I did, even if my knee jerk reaction to getting Perk back is to shake my head and sigh.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 05:01:26 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
To Boston - Amare Stoudemire

To New York - Wallace, Bass, Thornton, LAC #1(top 6 protected), future 2nd rounder

New York gets some depth, and a couple of picks for picking up the last year of Wallace's deal.  We get out of Wallace's final year, clear some of the flotsam out of the lineup, and open up minutes for the young'ns.  We will undoubtedly stink next year, so we would go into the 2015 off-season with a primo draft pick and scads of cap room.  Not a bad place to be for a rebuilding cube.

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
To Boston - Amare Stoudemire

To New York - Wallace, Bass, Thornton, LAC #1(top 6 protected), future 2nd rounder

New York gets some depth, and a couple of picks for picking up the last year of Wallace's deal.  We get out of Wallace's final year, clear some of the flotsam out of the lineup, and open up minutes for the young'ns.  We will undoubtedly stink next year, so we would go into the 2015 off-season with a primo draft pick and scads of cap room.  Not a bad place to be for a rebuilding cube.

You'd actually give up picks for Amare? :o  Why?  He's on a minute restriction and his game was always based on athleticism, so he's obviously not aging well.  Plus, I've always hated his punk attitude.  He's the antithesis of a Celtic, imo.

In spite of that, I played around with the idea on the trade machine, but then I remembered that Thornton would not fit in at all on the Knicks.  They already have Shumpert, JR Smith, Tim Hardaway Jr., and Wayne Ellington, so he wouldn't get any playing time, and they're guard rotation would be more log-jammed than ours, and that's really saying something ;D