Author Topic: If Ainge had taken Stephenson instead of Bradley in 2010...  (Read 15313 times)

If Ainge had taken Stephenson instead of Bradley in 2010...
« on: August 03, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
How much, if any, playing time would Lance have gotten here?  He didn't really get an opportunity until the 2012-13 season, and even though I wanted us to get him so much on draft night, I don't know if Doc would have ever played him, which is a shame because he would have been the ultimate 6th man for us, given the fact that he can play and guard the 1, 2, and 3 spots.  Say Ray still goes down in 2012 - would Lance have started?  Sadly, I really don't know the answer to this question, but man, he would have been great here.  Sigh.

Re: If Ainge had taken Stephenson instead of Bradley in 2010...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
WE would be banging our heads to the wall collectively everytime he does boneheaded move or play.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If Ainge has taken Lance on a guaranteed contract at that point in Lance's life, I bet there's a good chance he'd be playing in China right now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
He would have signed with the Hornets last month..

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:08:23 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
He would have been called Tony Allen 2.o for all the boneheadedness, and potential.

TA was looking like a 2-way beast before the injury.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
He would have been called Tony Allen 2.o for all the boneheadedness, and potential.

I disagree.  Yeah, Tony was developing into an excellent slasher before his idiotic after-the-whistle dunk that forever changed his career, but he was never the passer, playmaker, ball handler, or, especially, the shooter that Stephenson is, and was coming out of college.  Lance can play out of control at times, but I don't think he's a bonehead (on the court), and at least he can dribble lol.  Furthermore, Stephenson is bigger, stronger, quicker, and he can also post up.  The only thing TA had on Lance was his leaping ability.  They're not even remotely close to being the same type of player.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 11:58:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I think that this lineup could have beaten the Heat -

Rondo, Stephenson, Pierce, Bass, and Garnett, with Ray as the 6th man because of his injury.  We would have beaten them with Bradley, and I see no reason why Lance could not have contributed the same, or more, on both ends.  Unlike Avery, Stephenson can guard Lebron and Wade, and, coupled with the contributions of Pietrus, I think that we could have done it, with or without Bosh from game 1, because we were beating Miami convincingly with Bradley.  Thoughts?

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 11:59:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Oops.  I accidentally clicked on something else and double posted.  Sorry about that.

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:52:57 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

Rondo, Stephenson, Pierce, Bass, and Garnett, with Ray as the 6th man because of his injury.  We would have beaten them with Bradley, and I see no reason why Lance could not have contributed the same, or more, on both ends.  Unlike Avery, Stephenson can guard Lebron and Wade, and, coupled with the contributions of Pietrus, I think that we could have done it, with or without Bosh from game 1, because we were beating Miami convincingly with Bradley.  Thoughts?

I fully agree. Bradley's absence really cost us that series against Miami. Ray was absolutely useless and the whole year was just bad as far as injuries go but it was sure a heck of a ride that year. Heck, didn't Steimer only play limited minutes in the playoff due to injury? I swear he was injured as well. Or maybe I'm thinking Kristic of the year before.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 04:02:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I fully agree. Bradley's absence really cost us that series against Miami. Ray was absolutely useless and the whole year was just bad as far as injuries go but it was sure a heck of a ride that year. Heck, didn't Steimer only play limited minutes in the playoff due to injury? I swear he was injured as well. Or maybe I'm thinking Kristic of the year before.

I don't know if Ray was useless, because he did a pretty good job on Wade, but his bone spurs sure as hell didn't help us, and we still came back from 0-2.  Everyone talks about Lebron's game 6 performance (and rightfully so), but our guys had no legs and our strategy didn't change (thanks Doc!).  That game was still very doable, with Rondo answering Lebron, but, and, admittedly, I just thought of this lol, do you think that the result would have been different if we'd changed the defensive matchups, ie, putting Bass on Lebron, Pierce on Wade, and Ray on Battier?  As we saw in game 7, Bass more than held James in check in the first half, and that might have been all we needed.  I know that everyone wants to trade the guy, but I wish that people would appreciate Bass's contributions over the past 3 seasons.  Watching him stop Melo and Lebron, combined with his automatic midrange game, great free throw shooting, and outstanding speed, lateral quickness, and athleticism that allows him to finish in traffic against size (Bynum and Gasol), I really wish that we could have had him in 09-10, instead of Davis.  Bass was a free agent that year and had played tremendously against Melo (surprise, surprise) and Denver in the 2009 postseason, he didn't punch his friend and miss the first two months of the year, and he's never had a weight problem.  His ability on both ends might have been the difference that year, but I still think we needed more off the bench, which could have been had for close to nothing, quite honestly (I'll have to make a thread about this later).  We would not have been an elite defensive team in 11-12 without Brandon Bass.  Period.

As for Steimsma (why does everyone call him steamer, btw?), I don't think he was hurt, so you're probably confusing him with Krstic, who, I always thought, didn't play a lot because of his severe defensive deficiencies. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:08:40 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 07:38:15 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I disagree.  Yeah, Tony was developing into an excellent slasher before his idiotic after-the-whistle dunk that forever changed his career, but he was never the passer, playmaker, ball handler, or, especially, the shooter that Stephenson is, and was coming out of college.  Lance can play out of control at times, but I don't think he's a bonehead (on the court), and at least he can dribble lol.  Furthermore, Stephenson is bigger, stronger, quicker, and he can also post up.  The only thing TA had on Lance was his leaping ability.  They're not even remotely close to being the same type of player.

Tony was our backup point guard for a while. He wasn't as bad at ballhandling as you think. TA  was also a superior defender.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 07:44:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
As for Steimsma (why does everyone call him steamer, btw?),

Nickname, easier to spell.  I would guess.

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
As for Steimsma (why does everyone call him steamer, btw?),

because he blows
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 08:12:05 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Steimsma (why does everyone call him steamer, btw?)

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same reason I always say "Hurricane" Harangody: Tommy Heinsohn
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
As for Steimsma (why does everyone call him steamer, btw?), I don't think he was hurt, so you're probably confusing him with Krstic, who, I always thought, didn't play a lot because of his severe defensive deficiencies.

Pretty sure Steimsma had plantar fasciitis that postseason.

Injuries made a waste of what was almost certainly KGs last real playoff performance. Pierce's sprained knee, Ray's spurs and Bradley constantly dislocating his shoulders.

Edit: in terms of OP, Stephenson's a great player, but Bradley had a season in 2012. We can't know if Stephenson would have stayed healthy for the playoffs, but he definitely wouldn't have spread the floor like Bradley did that year.