Author Topic: A couple of OKC/BOS Trades to get us our rim protector  (Read 5009 times)

A couple of OKC/BOS Trades to get us our rim protector
« on: August 03, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
OKC needs to appease Durant in the next two years if they have any plans of keeping him in 2016. With that in mind, here are a couple of (I think) fair trades that we could use to help OKC retain Durant, while picking up assets ourselves. I've ranked them in descending order from most desirable to least desirable.

Trade 1: Boston sends Rajon Rondo and Kelly Olynyk to OKC for Steven Adams, Reggie Jackson, Kendrick Perkins, and a top 5 protected OKC first round draft pick in 2017.

Why Boston does it: In this trade they collect further assets for their rebuild. Adams will be their future rim protector. Jackson is an excellent offensive guard who would excel next to Smart, and they bring back a fan favorite (purely as salary filler). This depth chart looks pretty promising for the future:
PG: Jackson, Smart
SG: Bradley, Young
SF: Green, Turner, Wallace
PF: Sullinger, Bass
C: Adams, Zeller, Perkins
Also, they get a fairly unprotected first round draft pick two years after Rondo's free agency and one year after Durant's, so there's always a chance that the pick could be higher if things don't work out. Finally, this is a fairly good haul for Rondo, and, though we lose a good prospect in Kelly, we gain two prospects with just as high, if not higher, ceilings than Olynyk.

Why OKC does it: I think this trade would immediately put OKC as title favorites. A starting lineup of Rondo, Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka, and Olynyk is sick on both sides of the ball. Losing both Perk and Adams would hurt their C depth, and they would need to pick up a defensive minded C off the bench. However, gaining Rondo to distribute to four other offensive threats is worth it. Furthermore, Ibaka plays the role of rim protector as it is now anyways, so they could role with Olynyk without sacrificing too much defense and drastically improving their offense out of the 5. Also, Westbrook is better suited at the 2 guard. Can you imagine Rondo dropping dimes to four legitimate outside threats?!

Trade 2:Boston sends Jeff Green and Brandon Bass to OKC for Steven Adams, Perry Jones III, and Kendrick Perkins

Why Boston does it: While again getting us our rim protector in Steven Adams, it also clears Green and Bass off of our books giving Turner and Young more time at the 3. Furthermore, it clears us for (potentially, assuming Green doesn't opt out) more money off of the books next year. Jones is also an intriguing player with upside.

Why OKC does it: This would arguably make them an even better defensive team than what they are. Westbrook, Green, Durant, Bass, and Ibaka is a hell of a defensive unit, and Green and Bass offer more offensively than their old unit with Sefalosha and Perkins. Again, you'd have to slide Ibaka over to the 5 to be the rim protector, but I think he can handle it.

I think the first trade is much better for both sides than the last trade. Losing Rondo and Olynyk would suck, but the haul coming back would justify it. Which of the above trades would you consent to, if any?

Re: A couple of OKC/BOS Trades to get us our rim protector
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Both trades are terrible for OKC.  They not only completely wipe out their center depth, but they also involve OKC trading away their future starting center in Adams -- a guy who's still on a rookie contract, which is golden for the small-market, frugal Thunder.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
So you're saying you wouldn't trade Perk, who they've been trying to dump for years, and Adams, a guy with potential but not star potential, for Rondo, an actual star, just because their center depth will need adjusting? I agree that they would need more center depth after this, but you can make the case that Olynyk has just as much offensive potential as Adams has defensive potential. And with Ibaka being as great defensively as he is and already playing the rim protector role, I think it's a gamble they definitely should take, because they're by far coming out with the best player in the deal.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
I'll give you that the second trade is reaching a bit, because I was trying to find a way to give them Green while getting Adams back. However, the only way that could happen with workable salaries is by adding Perk, so I'll give you that one. The first trade, though, I think is pretty fair. (I actually figured people would say we're not getting enough back for our haul lol)

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
OKC will not trade Steven Adams. The kid is legit!

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
So you're saying you wouldn't trade Perk, who they've been trying to dump for years, and Adams, a guy with potential but not star potential, for Rondo, an actual star, just because their center depth will need adjusting? I agree that they would need more center depth after this, but you can make the case that Olynyk has just as much offensive potential as Adams has defensive potential. And with Ibaka being as great defensively as he is and already playing the rim protector role, I think it's a gamble they definitely should take, because they're by far coming out with the best player in the deal.

* Perkins is expiring.  Trading him isn't nearly as much of a priority at this point.
* Adams doesn't just have potential... he's actually shown production.  Hence why he's slotted to take over Perkins' spot.
* Rondo's not needed on a team with Westbrook.  OKC is not going to change Westbrook's position seven years into his career.  They drafted him to be their point guard, they developed him as such, and he's now a point guard.  He's a shoot-first point guard, but he's still a point guard.  He's made All-NBA teams as a point guard.  He's a multi-time All-Star as a point guard.  Westbrook at the 1 is not only adequate, but GOOD.  He's such a massive mismatch against almost any other point guard because of his athleticism, speed, and strength.
* Olynyk's offense isn't particularly necessary on a team with Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.  So long as OKC isn't running two offensive non-threats in the starting lineup again (Sefolosha and Perkins), they're perfectly fine on offense.  Even still, they started those two guys and won 59 games this past year and won the West the season before that.
* OKC's defense is based upon packing the paint, so they specifically like their big guys to be defensive oriented.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

Adams will be a Top 5 center. And he's on a low cost salary.
Plus you don't count with Rondo's salary 15-20M/year. OKC can't and won't pay him.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

* Perkins is expiring.  Trading him isn't nearly as much of a priority at this point.
* Adams doesn't just have potential... he's actually shown production.  Hence why he's slotted to take over Perkins' spot.
* Rondo's not needed on a team with Westbrook.  OKC is not going to change Westbrook's position seven years into his career.  They drafted him to be their point guard, they developed him as such, and he's now a point guard.  He's a shoot-first point guard, but he's still a point guard.  He's made All-NBA teams as a point guard.  He's a multi-time All-Star as a point guard.  Westbrook at the 1 is not only adequate, but GOOD.  He's such a massive mismatch against almost any other point guard because of his athleticism, speed, and strength.
* Olynyk's offense isn't particularly necessary on a team with Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.  So long as OKC isn't running two offensive non-threats in the starting lineup again (Sefolosha and Perkins), they're perfectly fine on offense.  Even still, they started those two guys and won 59 games this past year and won the West the season before that.
* OKC's defense is based upon packing the paint, so they specifically like their big guys to be defensive oriented.

All of your points are valid, but how long are they going to keep hoping this will work out? They've had three different years to try and win it all like this, and they've failed each time. (Obviously not counting 2013 when Westbrook was injured, but they wouldn't have got through the Spurs anyways.) Furthermore, they didn't really do anything to improve their team this offseason. As the OP stated, this was an idea to try and change things up to get them over the hump. They've had three seasons to get over the hump, 2 fully healthy, and they can't do it. I think the Rondo injection would benefit them greatly, and the losing of Jackson, Adams, and Perk for that injection would only hurt marginally. The benefits of this change would greatly outweigh the costs, in my opinion at least.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
OKC was dominant in 2013 and posted one of the highest point differentials in NBA history (only six other teams had higher point differentials -- and five of those teams won the title).  I can't agree with the notion that they wouldn't have gotten past the Spurs.  I'm not saying they WOULD'VE, but it seems beyond silly to say as a definitive fact that they wouldn't have.

OKC's issues in the playoffs this season were:
1) KD was not himself.  He was strangely passive and didn't make a real impact.
2) Their role players failed to contribute.  OKC doesn't need a massive overhaul of the roster, they just need guys who can be reliable in the playoffs.  Getting a dedicated shooter in Morrow goes a long way towards replicating the success of their 2012-13 season (when they had Kevin Martin as the shooter off the bench).
3) Ibaka was injured (so they've only had one season to get over the hump while fully healthy and that was the one season they made it to the Finals... as a bunch of 22 and 23 year olds).  OKC's generally been a bad matchup for the Spurs since the 2012 playoffs and that's largely due to Ibaka's defense.

The team's gone to the conference finals three of the past four seasons, with the one outlier being the year Westbrook was injured.  They need marginal improvements at best... and good health!

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
lol the word "rim protector" is getting throw around too much on these boards this offseason.. I dont remember seing it once last year..

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Yes plz to the first one..

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 01:20:37 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Steven Adams is good at what he does: energy guy that battles for everything on the court. But thats really all he does....for now.'

Id rather wait and draft our big guy than these trades.

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 03:06:45 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
unless thabeet pans out

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 06:50:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Trade 1: Boston sends Rajon Rondo and Kelly Olynyk to OKC for Steven Adams, Reggie Jackson, Kendrick Perkins, and a top 5 protected OKC first round draft pick in 2017.

Why Boston does it: In this trade they collect further assets for their rebuild. Adams will be their future rim protector. Jackson is an excellent offensive guard who would excel next to Smart, and they bring back a fan favorite (purely as salary filler). This depth chart looks pretty promising for the future:

We would not do this!  Anytime you give up the best player in the trade, you lose the trade.  That pick would be one of the last ones in the first round.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 09:08:27 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

We would not do this!  Anytime you give up the best player in the trade, you lose the trade.  That pick would be one of the last ones in the first round.

Did Denver lose the Carmelo Anthony trade?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.