Author Topic: Will Pekovic be available if the Love trade goes through?  (Read 4341 times)

Will Pekovic be available if the Love trade goes through?
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:48:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
And if the trade does goes through, would you want to acquire the monster?

The Wolves are really big on Dieng.  He is pegged to be their future starting center for years to come.

Pekovic is coming off an injury last season, should be healthy for this upcoming season and has many years remaining on his contract (pretty fair deal).  If we got Pekovic we should definitely make 7th place at worse and only get better from there

After/if Love gets traded i feel the Wolves might go on a firesale and we could capitalize on this opportunity

To Wolves: 2 future 1st, Thornton, Bass
To Celtics: Pekovic

Celtics lineup

C- Pekovic/Zeller
PF- Sullinger/KO
SF - Green/Turner/Young
SG - AB/Smart/Young
PG - Rondo/Smart/PRessey

Re: Will Pekovic be available if the Love trade goes through?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I anticipate Pekovic being traded eventually.  However, I don't think he's a great fit on a Boston team that's playing Sullinger and Olynyk at the 4.  Pekovic is a guy best paired with an Ibaka, Henson, or Sanders type - a guy who can actually protect the rim.  The Love/Pekovic combo wasn't extremely effective because those two guys aren't great rim protectors and you'd have the same issue with Sully/Olynyk and Pekovic.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Funny, I was going to start a thread on the exact same topic - tp to op. I realize he isn't exactly the very best fit with our PFs moving forward, but I could definitely see him becoming a potential target once the Wiggins trade goes through.

How in love with DeAndre Jordan is LAC - could a three way deal be done where Pek goes to LAC, Jordan goes to us, and young players/picks go to Min? Perhaps I am getting too ahead of myself and should just be grateful if we can acquire Pek.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:59:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
If Ainge were to acquire Pekovic, should Ainge make a run at Josh Smith to play PF?

Josh Smith would be the the talented quick footed shot-blocking defensive PF that Pekovic requires alongside him.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:27:46 AM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
No thx to the trade... I like pek but not worth two firsts... Unless its like the philly pick and another late first... Hes great, but not top 10 center great...

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:50:51 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I anticipate Pekovic being traded eventually.  However, I don't think he's a great fit on a Boston team that's playing Sullinger and Olynyk at the 4.  Pekovic is a guy best paired with an Ibaka, Henson, or Sanders type - a guy who can actually protect the rim.  The Love/Pekovic combo wasn't extremely effective because those two guys aren't great rim protectors and you'd have the same issue with Sully/Olynyk and Pekovic.

This is why we probably shouldn't go after Pekovic. If we feel there's a rim protecting PF like Ibaka or Anthony Davis (ie they are hard to find) then Pekovic makes sense, but our PF's are poor enough on defense as is, and Pekovic just compounds that problem.

He's a serious injury risk but his contract his very nice at 12 million per year. I'd say no, simply because of the poor fit on our team.

I'd prefer to send out KO+Wallace or 2 picks+Wallace. Wolves don't care about Wallace when they have 7 rookie scale deals on their roster.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 01:55:39 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If Ainge were to acquire Pekovic, should Ainge make a run at Josh Smith to play PF?

Josh Smith would be the the talented quick footed shot-blocking defensive PF that Pekovic requires alongside him.

Good point. Makes it tough on offense though with Rondo because you can't spread the floor with Smith and Pekovic, and it makes Rondo's drive and dish game much less effective.
If Smith joins the Celtics he MUST take 85%+ of his shots within 5 feet of the rim.
I guess we could then trade Sully or KO for a future wing player.

eg:
KO+
Wallace+
2015 Clippers pick+
2015 Cavs pick

for
Pekovic
Glen Robinson III

Would need AB, Smart and James Young to become 40%+ 3 point shooters if we had those two at PF and C.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 03:20:18 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Why stop at Josh Smith and Pekovic? We could trade for Tyreke Evans, Kevin Martin and Rudy Gay too.  Then, we take out massive insurance policies on everyone who actually likes basketball, so when any of them watch that team and they melt like they just saw the arc of the covenant, Danny can collect huge amounts of cash from the insurance payouts

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 04:40:54 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Why stop at Josh Smith and Pekovic? We could trade for Tyreke Evans, Kevin Martin and Rudy Gay too.  Then, we take out massive insurance policies on everyone who actually likes basketball, so when any of them watch that team and they melt like they just saw the arc of the covenant, Danny can collect huge amounts of cash from the insurance payouts

The ultimate Mediocrity team for all ages of the universe.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 08:02:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

This is why we probably shouldn't go after Pekovic. If we feel there's a rim protecting PF like Ibaka or Anthony Davis (ie they are hard to find) then Pekovic makes sense, but our PF's are poor enough on defense as is, and Pekovic just compounds that problem.

He's a serious injury risk but his contract his very nice at 12 million per year. I'd say no, simply because of the poor fit on our team.

I'd prefer to send out KO+Wallace or 2 picks+Wallace. Wolves don't care about Wallace when they have 7 rookie scale deals on their roster.

I agree with both of the above posters. ...although I do think we have the resources to get a deal done. Query whether we could be a "third team" in a three team trade.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 08:49:06 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

I think you touch upon a good fit in your post, maybe the Bucks should be the ones to go after Pek. They have a great young core and the injection of an established post scorer may push them into the playoffs and help speed the development of Parker/Giannis. If they can build a trade around some combination of Ilyasova, Mayo or Sanders, their willingness to take Martin and a first I could see it happening. They could do Sanders + Filler+ first for Pek and Martin then Minn would just likely have to get a 3rd team involved for Sanders (they would likely need a PF). Maybe involve the Cs and do this deal

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mebfrpo

Min would also gets protected 1sts from Cs and Buck

The Bucks

Pek, Henson, Parker Martin and Knight would be a nice mix of youth + vets in the starting lineup.

The T-Wolves

Assuming they lose love and get Wiggins and Bennet. That would give them

Dieng, Bass, Green, Wiggins and Rubio. At least its an athletic group for Rubio to run. Gaining two first would set this team up for a rebuild while not going into a full on tank.

The Cs

Get a rim protector in Sanders and clear up some roster redundancy. The roster will be painfully lacking in shooters but should play great D.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 08:51:08 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
What about:

Pekovic (4 years) and Gerald Wallace (2 years) to NY Knicks

Thornton (expiring) and Joel Anthony (expiring) to Minnesota

Stoudemire (expiring) to Boston

We could facilitate, and get out from under Gerald Wallace's contract. We'd move three players, and clear roster spots.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

The Wolves are really big on Dieng.  He is pegged to be their future starting center for years to come.

Pekovic is coming off an injury last season, should be healthy for this upcoming season and has many years remaining on his contract (pretty fair deal).  If we got Pekovic we should definitely make 7th place at worse and only get better from there

After/if Love gets traded i feel the Wolves might go on a firesale and we could capitalize on this opportunity

Celtics lineup

C- Pekovic/Zeller
PF- Sullinger/KO
SF - Green/Turner/Young
SG - AB/Smart/Young
PG - Rondo/Smart/PRessey
I really like this trade idea as long as there is a second part to it. I think you also have to do a separate trade for Henson. Say Olynyk for Henson. As others have said, we would have a really nice complementary tandem at the 4-5 with two nice backups in Sullinger and Zeller. I just have a feeling that if they are not moving Martin in the Love deal that they will insist that we take him off their books. That would simply mean Bogans and Babb but we would have Martin for three years which is a tough call for us. Finally, because Flip is Flip he may also ask for Young and I am not sure if that should be a deal killer. Probably not since we would have Bradley and Martin locked up for 4 and 3 years respectively and they also are complementary talents at the 2.  Maybe two of our less attractive 1st round picks might be enough instead of Young. A starting lineup of Pek, Henson, Green, Rondo, and Bradley along with a solid bench would be kind of interesting.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:10:56 AM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Celtics lineup

C- Pekovic/Zeller
PF- Sullinger/KO
SF - Green/Turner/Young
SG - AB/Smart/Young
PG - Rondo/Smart/PRessey

Yup, I sure would. Pekovic would be a legit 5 which we sorely need.
And if the Celts could acquire a better power forward than Sully/Bass in either Monroe or Josh Smith, Celts end up in the playoffs.

If Minny deals Love, I am thinking they would have no need for Pekovic as he has 4 years left on his deal.

They could trot out a real athletic lineup (if the Love deal goes through) of Rubio/LaVine, Martin, Wiggins, Young and Dieng.

I would deal Jeff Green and either Anthony or Zeller for Pekovic.