Author Topic: Movies that you'd like to see made (or remade, better)  (Read 11052 times)

Movies that you'd like to see made (or remade, better)
« on: August 02, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I thought this would be a cool topic to chat about in the summer months when the biggest basketball news is how Kevin Love might still be traded even though you know he's probably already traded to Cleveland and how Paul George suffered a terrible freak injury.

So how about this: Name a movie you'd like to see made, tell us why, and tell us why that movie in particular would be special to you.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Movies that you'd like to see made (or remade, better)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'd like to see a full length movie that covers the early stages of the zombie outbreak in the Walking Dead.   I don't have a special reason for why I'd like to see it made, other than the fact that I liked the freaky first stage and they really didn't cover it that much because the main character was unconscious for weeks.  I always liked the glimpses they showed in some flashbacks. 

Sidebar thread:  Most impossible movie to remake?

I dunno...Rocky? 
Yup

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:09:30 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'd love to see the novel "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" by Hunter S. Thompson put into film, using Johnny Depp as the main character again. Depp did an amazing job playing an embellished version of Thompson in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Anyone who is aware of Hunter S. Thompson and the novel will agree that this book would be remarkable put into movie form.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:14:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
My first submission is a Space Western, done in the style of Elmore Leonard

I've gotta come clean; I'm a Joss Whedon fanboy. Everything the guy has ever done, and I don't just mean The Avengers, Buffy and Cabin In The Woods (which were all brilliantly executed). I mean everything.

Dollhouse, Angel, Dr Horrible, I even absolutely adored his modern remake of 'Much Ado About Nothing', and I've always found Shakespeare to be a bit inaccessible. Everytime he's gotten a free rein to make a story his, ESPECIALLY when he can make a world around the story, I think it's a [dang] masterpiece.

But maybe the most beloved universe of his for me is the one that was the most short lived, Firefly (and the movie Serenity).

I loved Firefly. If you've never seen it or heard about it (in which case you are most likely a teenager who is woefully under educated in the wonders of quality entertainment, or you're an elderly person who was looking for the number to the diner near your nephew's house or something and just got lost in the interwebs), Firefly follows a cast of misfit characters in their travels across the 'verse' after the Earth's resources have all been used up and humanity has had to scatter into settlements across the stars.

But while it was set in space, the real heart of the show and the whole concept was deeply rooted in classic American Westerns. Not necessarily your 'Magnificent Seven' kind of Westerns (the elderly who stuck around after the 'lost in the interwebs know what I'm talking about), which weren't really Westerns at all but blatant ripoffs of other plots thrown into horses and pistols, but Elmore Leonard Westerns.

Elmore Leonard loved the work-a-day lawmen, and bad guys who aren't really bad, but more are just trying to get along. He's the guy who invented Raylan Givens from Justified, but he's also the guy who wrote '3:10 To Yuma' as well Chili Palmer from the Oscar Winning 'Get Shorty'.

But he's got so many other characters, and Mal from Firefly could easily have been one of them. Mal isn't some super fighter, or even preternaturally gifted gunslinger. He's really got more in common with a former Confederate scout or Captain who is just trying to find his place in the world after the war he fought was over.

And the show had your other typical Western staples; a doctor trying to run from a dirty secret, a hired gun, a skilled but quirkly pilot (or in a Western, he's he a state coach driver, or he's own a boat on the Mississippi or something), a preacher who is actually at odds with significant parts of his faith, as well as a dirty past of his own, a prostitute with a heart of gold (kinda).

What I'd like to see is a Space Western following a bounty Hunter, but not like a Boba Fett kind of deal, and not like a Cowboy Bebop kind of deal (and yes, I'm aware of that show, and well yes.), but a bounty Hunter part Han Solo and part Jimmy McNulty, a flawed but not necessarily anti-hero who travels around collecting bounties on criminals who aren't really much different than himself a lot of the time, who has a crew of loveble and quasi-badass outcasts in an unknown unforgiving Space that's full of people just trying to work a solid-day's job and carve out some kind of sustainable living in whatever desolate planet they end up on.

I'm not sure Id even want aliens. Just space. And some cool technology, but not the kind of 'big brother' tech from dystopian movies where the ruling body is absolutely in control all the time.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'd love to see the novel "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" by Hunter S. Thompson put into film, using Johnny Depp as the main character again. Depp did an amazing job playing an embellished version of Thompson in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Anyone who is aware of Hunter S. Thompson and the novel will agree that this book would be remarkable put into movie form.

I'm in. Depp's portrayal of Hunter S Thompson is brilliant, although in a weird way I almost liked the character better in the rum diaries.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 10:21:59 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

I'm in. Depp's portrayal of Hunter S Thompson is brilliant, although in a weird way I almost liked the character better in the rum diaries.

TP. I agree completely. I don't know why I always overlook The Rum Diaries, but it's an amazing film. Depp plays a more coherent, love driven version of Thompson than in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which I really liked.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'd like to see a full length movie that covers the early stages of the zombie outbreak in the Walking Dead.   I don't have a special reason for why I'd like to see it made, other than the fact that I liked the freaky first stage and they really didn't cover it that much because the main character was unconscious for weeks.  I always liked the glimpses they showed in some flashbacks. 

I also would love to see this, but I bet Id hate to see it as well. Zombies...every time I try to wrap my head around the topic I'm always coming back to the thought of, 'But We Have Guns And Cars And Can Think...They'd Lose, Immediately.

I don't know why that's all in caps. I'm not going to dwell on it.

I dunno...Rocky? 

Two Submissions, Not In Any Particular Order:

1) The Princess Bride: I don't think anyone will ever in my lifetime be able to capture the brilliance of this movie. I think a faithful remake would be corny, a new take on it, I doubt it would work. The mix of characters, the absolutely perfect balance between honest fantasy story and witty self-awareness of how goofy the tropes can be..I don't think anyone will ever do it again, at least as well as the first movie did.

2) My Dinner With Andre: Classic movie. Must-watch for any cinephile. But how in the hell would you be able to remake it and say something the first one didn't? And if you just tried for a honest recreation, you're basically just doing a off-broadway show and filming it.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 10:26:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Another impossible movie to remake: Withnail And I. I just can't see it ever happening. Ever.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I also would love to see this, but I bet Id hate to see it as well. Zombies...every time I try to wrap my head around the topic I'm always coming back to the thought of, 'But We Have Guns And Cars And Can Think...They'd Lose, Immediately.

I don't know why that's all in caps. I'm not going to dwell on it.
.Rocky? 

Yeh, I spend enough time dwelling all of the legitimate apocalyptic swirling around in real life.  I don't like to think a whole lot about plausibility in my zombie productions.

I dunno...Rocky? 

Two Submissions, Not In Any Particular Order:

1) The Princess Bride: I don't think anyone will ever in my lifetime be able to capture the brilliance of this movie. I think a faithful remake would be corny, a new take on it, I doubt it would work. The mix of characters, the absolutely perfect balance between honest fantasy story and witty self-awareness of how goofy the tropes can be..I don't think anyone will ever do it again, at least as well as the first movie did.

2) My Dinner With Andre: Classic movie. Must-watch for any cinephile. But how in the hell would you be able to remake it and say something the first one didn't? And if you just tried for a honest recreation, you're basically just doing a off-broadway show and filming it.

Both would indeed be rough to do.  Who plays John Malkevich in the remake of Being John Malkevich?
Yup

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Another movie I wouldn't mind seeing is a spinoff to Breaking Bad documenting Jesse Pinkmans life post Walt. For me, I didn't get enough closure as I would have liked with the character, but obviously they can't do another entire season of Breaking Bad without Heisenberg. Anyone who watched BB would tell you that Aaron Paul is more than capable of holding his own in a leading cinematic role. What a great actor.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 10:45:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Another movie I wouldn't mind seeing is a spinoff to Breaking Bad documenting Jesse Pinkmans life post Walt. For me, I didn't get enough closure as I would have liked with the character, but obviously they can't do another entire season of Breaking Bad without Heisenberg. Anyone who watched BB would tell you that Aaron Paul is more than capable of holding his own in a leading cinematic role. What a great actor.

Similarly, any Friday Night Lights movie or a movie that follows Michael from the Wire would receive ticket purchase from myself.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Similarly, any Friday Night Lights movie or a movie that follows Michael from the Wire would receive ticket purchase from myself.

The Shield...what happens with Vic.

Blade Runner w/ the new CGI

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:50:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Instead we have to settle for this!  They're taking the prequel route.  See if it works...

Yup

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 10:55:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Blade Runner I'm sure they'll remake in the next 15 years. They're making a sequel now, or it's at least in development.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Blade Runner I'm sure they'll remake in the next 15 years. They're making a sequel now, or it's at least in development.

The Mad Max trailer looked promising
Yup