Author Topic: Pacers Blow It Up/Dream Scenario.... Would you do it?  (Read 7395 times)

Pacers Blow It Up/Dream Scenario.... Would you do it?
« on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:49 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Let's work on the assumption that the Pacers decide to blow the team up after George's injury.  Although it's pretty far-fetched and improbable, there are a couple of reasons to go that route. West is going to be 34 years old, so he's not going to want to play on a team with no chance at competing. They've soured a bit on Hibbert after the playoff performance, and George will take at least a full season to get back to 100% after missing all of next season. Those are all valid reasons to blow things up this year, along with a big-man heavy draft in which the Pacers own their own draft pick. So though this dream will never come to fruition, let's play a little game: would you do it?

To Boston: Hibbert, West

To Pacers: Bass, Anthony, Bogans, Faverani, Johnson, Babb, Sully, Smart, Bos 2015 1st, Bkn 2016 1st

Why Boston does it: Duh, taking advantage of an unfortunate situation and ending up with a contending/fringe-contending team with a great starting unit and solid bench. This would leave us with a depth chart of:
PG: Rondo, Pressey
SG: Bradley, Turner, Thornton
SF: Green, Wallace, Young
PF: West, Olynyk
C: Hibbert, Zeller
Yes, we'd be losing two great prospects in Smart and Sully, but to get a chance to compete now with that lineup might be worth it.

Why Indiana does it: Indy would be getting everything you can ask for when trading star players: cap space, unguaranteed contracts, draft compensation, and young propects. They would save 7 million off the bat by cutting the unguaranteed contracts, and they would create a ton of cap space for next offseason's great free agent class (right before PG would come back, too). Also, they'd get a late first rounder to add to their, more than likely, high draft pick of their own, along with the potentially great draft pick from Brooklyn. Finally, they'd get their point guard of the future and a promising prospect in Sully, too.

Remember, this is a dream scenario that is highly improbable.  But if it would come to fruition, would you do it?

Re: Pacers Blow It Up/Dream Scenario.... Would you do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:46:23 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I like the idea but not for what your proposing because we would be giving up way too much in that deal for rentals... Take out Sully, Smart Boston 1st rounder and add picks from Cleveland, Philly and the Clippers and that more along the lines of fair to me.

The Pacers get a bunch of picks, instant cap space, expiring deals and a team destined to have a high lottery pick.

The Celtics get the 1 year rentals of West and Hibbert, and enter into next offseason with 4/5 of their starters in free agency.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 03:41:05 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
that is too much and west is getting old

hibbert would not be our guy, he deserves a defensive coach

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 03:47:01 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I thought it said both Hibbert and West had two years left on their deals. If they're expiring, then, yes, it's too much. However, I'm pretty sure the trade machine had both Hibbert and West at two years left apiece on their deals, which makes my offer more reasonable.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 04:54:07 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
My gut tells me we will end up with a half way decent pick and draft Karl Towns Jr....center issue fixed.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 08:22:37 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
that is too much and west is getting old

hibbert would not be our guy, he deserves a defensive coach

Is Brad Stevens an offensive coach?  Real question.

Love the idea.  Even for a one year rental, I really don't think it's a lot (maybe I'd take out Sully since they are getting Smart (no pun intended)).

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'd part with Sully and a pick and all the expirings. Not smart though. They could have Turner back or Zeller...

Btw, this sucks. I like Paul George a lot. Hope he gets back 100%.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Not sure what I think of Hibbert. He's been so good at times but then he disappeared when it mattered. If it turns out to be for a reason that we can explain and probably won't happen again its one thing. But if its just his psychological makeup that he doesn't perform under pressure, let's stay away.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
i don't think that starting lineup is a contender and giving way too much.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Unless we're getting George back himself in some blockbuster deal, I wouldn't like to trade Smart.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I agree let's trade for George, not the other pacers.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
only guys i'd want would be West or Hibbet, and i'd only want them on the cheap or if a deal involved Wallace, bass, green, some mix of them or all.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I love David West, but he's old enough now that I don't know if he's really worth acquiring for our team at this point in its development.

I hate Hibbert, though. May be my least favorite player in the league. I hate his attitude. And he is unbelievably overrated: he is a completely average player that tricked everyone into thinking he was good because he had one good stretch in the playoffs. Everyone was surprised last season when he wasn't very good, but then you look at his career and realize he has NEVER been that good.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree let's trade for George, not the other pacers.

Yeah, I also agree. I actually think the Pacers still want to compete. Since Rondo's name is thrown around here so much, would people consider a Rondo/Green for George swap? Green would be able to step in as a solid replacement for George and Rondo would be a massive upgrade for them.

I get that we would also be taking a chance here and it would probably be in bad taste for Indy to trade George, but this would seem to satisfy a lot of each team's future needs.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Unless we're getting George back himself in some blockbuster deal, I wouldn't like to trade Smart.

Wouldn't want George now.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell