Author Topic: Should we pursue and go after Kevin Love in 2015 as a FA?  (Read 1412 times)

Should we pursue and go after Kevin Love in 2015 as a FA?
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:19:24 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
However according to a report from the Lake County News-Herald late Thursday, the Minnesota Timberwolves star will not sign a contract extension with any team he’s traded to, a development that raises the stakes for Cleveland and James.

Love can reportedly earn more money by hitting the open market after next season, and then re-signing with the team he’s traded to. It was originally believed that Love would agree to a sign-and-trade to the Cavs, with the Wolves getting a package built around former Kansas star Wiggins and 2013 No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett. Furthermore, a report from ESPN Thursday said Cleveland and Minnesota have engaged in lengthy discussions and officials around the league stated it was a matter of “when” not “if” the three-time All-Star would join James and the Cavs.

Love added to the speculation that a trade was looming when he pulled out of his obligations to USA Basketball last week. Love and James were teammates on the 2012 Olympic team that captured the gold medal in London.

The same outlet that first reported Cleveland’s willingness to let go of Wiggins, the News-Herald also reported that the two teams were working on a “framework” for a trade that would send Love and possibly forward Corey Brewer to the Cavs with Wiggins, Bennett and a 2018 first-round pick to Minnesota.

I think Love wants to play with a great player like LBJ, but I think hes also a player that wants to be either 1A, or 1B. He may be 1B, or the third option depending on how they use him collectively. If they try to apply a similar scheme in offensive play with Love being more of a Bosh type, and only stretching the defense, then I don't really see Love getting the spotlight that hes been looking for.

Cavs also aren't a big market franchise, even though their net worth just got 500 million dollars more richer.

Should we pursue Kevin Love? I think Love is still a big fan of Larry Bird. If he believes the Celtics can be competitive enough to bring in another 3rd superstar, I can see him coming over to here. If he joins the Lakers, I don't see a team of Kobe, Love, and not enough cap space to bring in another 3rd superstar working unless they take a decent pay cut.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Should we pursue and go after Kevin Love in 2015 as a FA?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:08:30 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
If he's looking for big money and willing to walk away from being on a Lebron James team, then I don't see how he ends up in Celtic green.

You can't pay him max...with Rondo then expecting the same for his new contract because, you know, he HAS worn the green all these years...and still be able to bring in the support necessary to make this team a champion.

Now, if he wants to come to Boston next year...to be part of the Celtic tradition, to take a lower than max salary to try to give the team the flexibility to repeat the success we had with our last Big Three...and Rondo signs on to the idea, with both giving up salary to bring in another superstar...I'm good with that.

If he's all about the benjamins, then he'll end up elsewhere IMO.

Rak

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:12:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, we should not.

I do not like the side of Love we have seen in the offseason.   He will probably sign in CLE because LJ gives him a chance to win a ring.   But I could see him bolting to Cali if things do not work here.

I think he used us and little more.  Didn't even buy us a drink.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:00:11 AM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Danny will definitely try because Love  is the type of player that complements Rondo's skills set.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:03:00 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No, we should not.

I do not like the side of Love we have seen in the offseason.   He will probably sign in CLE because LJ gives him a chance to win a ring.   But I could see him bolting to Cali if things do not work here.

I think he used us and little more.  Didn't even buy us a drink.

And what side of Love have you "seen" this offseason?

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 02:34:16 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If he's looking for big money and willing to walk away from being on a Lebron James team, then I don't see how he ends up in Celtic green.

You can't pay him max...with Rondo then expecting the same for his new contract because, you know, he HAS worn the green all these years...and still be able to bring in the support necessary to make this team a champion.

If you can sign Love and all you give up is cap space, you totally give him a max deal.  Then you take Sully or KO, Wallace's then-expiring deal and a couple of draft picks to bring in anyone else you need.

Mike