Author Topic: Is Hibbert available now that George is hurt?  (Read 8182 times)

Re: Is Hibbert available now that George is hurt?
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think it's much more likely that the Pacers would trade for a SF, as opposed to trading away Hibbert. I could see them making a play for Green, given our depth at the position (Turner, Wallace, Young), and offer future picks as bait.

They could trade us the expiring contracts of both Scola and Copeland, along with a future pick or two, for Green.

They signed Miles and Stuckey this off-season so they could still have a competitive team of:

Starters
PF- West
SF- Green
C- Hibbert
PG- Hill
SG- Stuckey

Bench Rotation
PF/C- Allen
C- Mahinmi
PG- Watson
SF/SG- Miles

any trade https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=252734118250591&id=177465549110782we make is going to involve us trading more players than we bring back right now...

Not necessarily.  If we get the right players/picks in return, Danny will cut a guaranteed player if that's what makes sense.

The big deal for Indy is that they can only add about $2 mil in salary before hitting the luxury tax.  My ideal trade is Green for Mahinmi, Copeland, and their 2015 pick. (EDIT: I think they'd need to swap Donald Sloan for Phil Pressey to get them completely below the luxury tax, as they'd be about $30k above it.) Keeps them below the luxury tax, and gets the C's further away from it.  Probably end up buying out Anthony with that trade, but maybe also trade Bass somewhere, or waive Fav if he isn't healing as well as his 90% comment would indicate.  I guess they could even waive Copeland if they weren't interested.

Perhaps, also, Indy would be willing to go above the luxury tax, since presumably an insurance company will pay Paul George's $16 million salary this year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:22:52 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think it's much more likely that the Pacers would trade for a SF, as opposed to trading away Hibbert. I could see them making a play for Green, given our depth at the position (Turner, Wallace, Young), and offer future picks as bait.

They could trade us the expiring contracts of both Scola and Copeland, along with a future pick or two, for Green.

They signed Miles and Stuckey this off-season so they could still have a competitive team of:

Starters
PF- West
SF- Green
C- Hibbert
PG- Hill
SG- Stuckey

Bench Rotation
PF/C- Allen
C- Mahinmi
PG- Watson
SF/SG- Miles

any trade https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=252734118250591&id=177465549110782we make is going to involve us trading more players than we bring back right now...

Not necessarily.  If we get the right players/picks in return, Danny will cut a guaranteed player if that's what makes sense.

The big deal for Indy is that they can only add about $2 mil in salary before hitting th luxury tax.  My ideal trade is Green for Mahinmi, Copeland, and their 2015 pick.  Keeps them below the luxury tax, and gets the C's further away from it.  Probably end up buying out Anthony with that trade, but maybe also trade Bass somewhere, or waive Fav if he isn't healing as well as his 90% comment would indicate.

Another mid to late first?  Adding guaranteed salary (when Green's a good bet to opt out)?

No thanks.

Hibbert's the only guy I want on Indy.

Either Who's package of Wallace/Smart or a Bass/Bogans/Anthony/picks deal.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Starters
PF- West
SF- Green
C- Hibbert
PG- Hill
SG- Stuckey

Bench Rotation
PF/C- Allen
C- Mahinmi
PG- Watson
SF/SG- Miles

The big deal for Indy is that they can only add about $2 mil in salary before hitting th luxury tax.  My ideal trade is Green for Mahinmi, Copeland, and their 2015 pick.  Keeps them below the luxury tax, and gets the C's further away from it.  Probably end up buying out Anthony with that trade, but maybe also trade Bass somewhere, or waive Fav if he isn't healing as well as his 90% comment would indicate.

Another mid to late first?  Adding guaranteed salary (when Green's a good bet to opt out)?

No thanks.

Hibbert's the only guy I want on Indy.

Either Who's package of Wallace/Smart or a Bass/Bogans/Anthony/picks deal.

Guaranteed salary matters nada for next year.  If it did, the Celtics would have structured AB's deal differently, and wouldn't have signed Turner for two years.  I don't know what free agent you're after next summer that's going to make an iota of difference whom we'll be able to have the cap room for.  2016 is the year for the Celtics and the rest of the league.

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2014, 12:01:22 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Wow, what a bunch of vultures. It hasn't even been 24 hours and people want to pick apart the Pacers and strip them to the bones.

Lets wait until Bird has a chance to look things over and decided what he wants to do. I also don't think Bird will trade Hibbert if he goes into tank mode with George is out. I don't think he makes that much of a difference when it comes to winning games. Sure he clogs the lane, but he wont make up for Stephonson and Gerorge's scoring.

I also think we could get a better Center in the draft if we go tank mod one more year. It would mean Rondo gone now because he makes us too good with Indy out.

But with people willing to give up Smart for Hibbert is dumb. Centers don't make as much of a difference like they did 15-20 years ago. You just need one that can change shots, rebound, runs the floor well and has good hands. But not necessarily be amazing any of them, just good. What Smart has already over Hibbert is a winning attitude, and leadership qualities. Thats much harder to come these days.

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Is Turner's 2nd year guaranteed? 

If 2015 meant nada, we could have just taken Jack from Cleveland and grabbed Karasev to go along with Zeller and the pick.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
You don't want Hibbert.  Although he's been unrightfully picked as an all-star his advanced stats - his per and winscore are crap... in other words - he's not that good. He'll frustrate you ala jeff green.

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Is Turner's 2nd year guaranteed? 

If 2015 meant nada, we could have just taken Jack from Cleveland and grabbed Karasev to go along with Zeller and the pick.

1) Tuner's deal has been rumored to be for 2 years, guaranteed.  Details will not be confirmed (by unofficial sources) until a contract is signed, which is being held up for now as the Celtics look to shed salary so that they can sign him with the regular MLE (not the full value of it, but so they can preserve the remainder for post-training camp or mid-season use.)
2) Jack has a small amount guaranteed into 2016-2017.
3) The Celtics might not have thought Karasev was worth paying Jack $6.3 mil next year.  You still want to get value for giving up your cap space, and Karasev might not have been enough.
4) I didn't say 2015 means nada, I said that cap space in 2015 means nada towards the Celtics plans.  Assuming they keep Rondo but no other unrestricted free agent, they project to have $8-12 million in cap room, depending on what their draft picks are, where the cap ends up, what they do with non-guaranteed players like Fav and Pressey, etc.    While that's not nothing, it's top end role-player money, not star money.  If giving up Jeff Green and reducing that flexibility by $4 million for a role-playing big got them an unprotected first, given that Indy risks some drop-off next year, sign me up.  If it's more than top 5 protected, I would be not interested.

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/5/6/5686548/roy-hibbert-david-west-rasual-butler-private-meeting-pacers-wizards

Nope. You can't be that tall and not grab a rebound. In a playoff game. I'd rather have DeAndre Jordan for a center with a huge contract. Even if he doesn't (and probably won't) score, you know he'll grab 10+ rebounds and 2+ blocks
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)