Author Topic: Is Hibbert available now that George is hurt?  (Read 8119 times)

Re: Is Hibbert available now that George is hurt?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 01:45:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If Celtics swapped G.Wallace's contract for Hibbert's contract, they would still be in position to sign a max contract free agent.

How attractive would Boston be as a destination then?

That is a pretty nice foundation for a star to join. Two supporting stars in Rondo and Hibbert. A top playmaking PG who can get you the ball. A DPOY who protects the paint. Vacancy for a top scorer to round it out. Lots of quality role players in J.Green, A.Bradley and then Sully and Olynyk.

I think that is a very interesting situation to sell to big name FAs next summer.

I don't know... don't think Hibbert would sell any stars on joining us. Guy is more of a role player, not a star.

If you are a guy like K-Love - never had a shot-blocker alongside you or played on a strong defensive team -  I think a guy like Hibbert is something enticing to you.

Same with someone like Carmelo Anthony. He has seen first hand the value in having someone like Tyson Chandler next him. Knowing he has got a Roy Hibbert there. A guy who has won DPOY and anchored the best defensive team in the league 2 years running. I think guys like Melo respect that.

Players like LeBron who has been forced into small finesse lineups for years. I am sure he'd love to play with a true center who can protect the basket and do all of the things a prototypical center does that he never had in Miami.

I think Hibbert has some cachet around the league. I think a lot of players want to play with a center who can do the things Hibbert does for a team defensively.

Roy Hibbert - by himself - I don't think offers great interest from FAs but on a winning team alongside a star player in Rondo and with strong depth / supporting cast. A ready made team for a FA to walk into and immediately become a top challenger in the East. I think adding Hibbert makes a really big difference to how attractive a destination Boston becomes in next year's FA class.

I'm sorry, I hate to rain on your parade, but Hibbert has never won the DPOY award, but yes, he has anchored the league's best defense for the past 2 seasons.  I completely agree with your point about stars like Love wanting to play with a shot blocker, but it's not all about defense - Hibbert is an excellent inside player.  Don't undervalue (not saying that you are) the ability to score inside, especially in the postseason.  I'm a basketball purist, so I long for the days of true big men, and Hibbert is one of them, but I just don't see him coming here, via free agency or a trade :'(  which is why I want Oden.

Oh yeah, right. It was Marc Gasol and then Joakim Noah. I could have sworn Hibbert got one of those after all the high praise and attention he has gotten for his defense over last two years. No DPOYs for Hibbert (yet!).

Edit: I find those guy's DPOY season kinda forgettable to be honest. Indiana Pacers as a team and Roy Hibbert as an individual are the big story, the memory that stands out, as the most dominant defensive performance of last two years. In 5+ years time, when I think back at these past two seasons, I fully expect the team and the player that are going to jump to the forefront of my mind for their defensive performances are Indiana and Roy Hibbert.

Noah has been pretty much doing the same thing for 4-5 years now defensively. Playing on a middle of the pack team. Last year doesn't stand out as any better than previous years (as defender only). Marc Gasol playing in low media attention NBA city in Memphis + has less defensive talent around him so doesn't make quite as much noise as Indiana have done defensively (which helps shine more spotlight Hibbert). Individual performance just as good as HIbbert but I don't think he gets same attention as Hibbert. Why I find their DPOYs somewhat forgettable (unfairly or not).

Yeah, I don't know how, or why, Noah won it last year.  I hate that guy lol.  On the other hand, Gasol is a lot like Hibbert on both ends, but I'm kind of surprised that Deandre Jordan didn't win it this year.  Imo, he's much more deserving of the award than Noah.

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 01:59:40 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am really loathe to give up Marcus Smart. I was very high on him coming into the draft (had him 4th on my draft board) and obviously I still am today.

However, the idea of Hibbert + Rondo as two building blocks -- who I think supply excellent team orientated strong defense/rebounding foundation to build rest of team from. Players who can create team identity and winning culture -- armed with (1) enough cap flexibility to offer max contract free agent (2) loads of draft picks as well as (3) some good young players.

I can't help but think that would be a team well on track to becoming a title-contender and that it has the trade assets and flexibility required to get them the pieces they need to put them over the top in near future. As much as I like Marcus Smart, giving up on an opportunity as enticing as that is hard to do. This is why I find the idea so tempting.

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 02:06:26 AM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
i do not think Pacers will trade Hibbert because where will they find another 7'2" defensive anchor?

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 03:42:21 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
they need to sign shawn marion and make a run

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 04:48:31 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
They could have used Evan Turner . Hindsight is 20/20 but they def could have used him.

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
i do not think Pacers will trade Hibbert because where will they find another 7'2" defensive anchor?

A 7'2 defensive anchor that didnt do squat for them in the playoffs.  A 7'2 that was more of a disadvantage during the playoffs.  There is more reason to trade him than not to

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think it's much more likely that the Pacers would trade for a SF, as opposed to trading away Hibbert. I could see them making a play for Green, given our depth at the position (Turner, Wallace, Young), and offer future picks as bait.

They could trade us the expiring contracts of both Scola and Copeland, along with a future pick or two, for Green.

They signed Miles and Stuckey this off-season so they could still have a competitive team of:

Starters
PF- West
SF- Green
C- Hibbert
PG- Hill
SG- Stuckey

Bench Rotation
PF/C- Allen
C- Mahinmi
PG- Watson
SF/SG- Miles

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 08:34:21 AM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
yeah, they will likely go after an SF maybe not via trade but by injury-thing exception.

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
yeah, they will likely go after an SF maybe not via trade but by injury-thing exception.

Using the exception sounds great in theory, but there simply isn't much left at the position at this stage in free agency. Adding someone like Green, who will be playing on a very modest contract and will likely opt out at season's end, is a great consolation prize. The Pacers need to offset some of the scoring lost, and while Green is no world beater he will be put in a solid position with Indiana.

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I think it's much more likely that the Pacers would trade for a SF, as opposed to trading away Hibbert. I could see them making a play for Green, given our depth at the position (Turner, Wallace, Young), and offer future picks as bait.

They could trade us the expiring contracts of both Scola and Copeland, along with a future pick or two, for Green.

They signed Miles and Stuckey this off-season so they could still have a competitive team of:

Starters
PF- West
SF- Green
C- Hibbert
PG- Hill
SG- Stuckey

Bench Rotation
PF/C- Allen
C- Mahinmi
PG- Watson
SF/SG- Miles

any trade we make is going to involve us trading more players than we bring back right now...

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 09:02:24 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
They could really use Smart now that I think of it . Would you include Smart in a trade for Hibbert ?

No

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Wow, the guy has been injured for less than 24 hours and you are already talking about what the Pacers will do with their other players? They should re-name this site to Scumbags-R-US.

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Wow, the guy has been injured for less than 24 hours and you are already talking about what the Pacers will do with their other players? They should re-name this site to Scumbags-R-US.

Well considering some of the comments made when Rondo first got injured, and he's one of ours, it's not surprising.

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You cup cakes that can't handle the rest of us trying to look for a silver lining in this whole thing for our team should lose a TP. :-*

Anyway I would do Green and spare parts for Hibbert.

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 10:42:47 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
A playmaker like Rondo would be so good for Hibbert. Rondo would make Hibbert much more consistent offensively. Rondo was terrific at getting an old Shaq high percentage baskets right at the rim. I think Hibbert would be quite similar. Big target in the paint who will be hard to contain while Rondo is probing around the paint with his dribble penetration.

When Hibbert plays well offensively and he combines that with his defensive impact, he has a huge impact on games. Unfortunately that happens too infrequently. Partly though, I believe, because Indiana's guards do a bad job of both getting him the ball in the right places + also creating easy scoring opportunities in team offense.

I truly believe Rondo would bring out the best in Hibbert and allow Hibbert to play to his maximum on a much more frequent basis.