Author Topic: Paul George Broken leg in USA scrimmage  (Read 15814 times)

Re: Paul George Broken leg in USA scrimmage
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2014, 02:51:47 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
USA is a way too much risk for the reward for "STAR" players. Teams have too much invested in certain individuals for this. It's stupid from an investment standpoint. Hopefully teams restrict their most important nba assets from participating in non nba events. It's insane honestly.

Indiana just lost lance and potentially paul George on five weeks! Are you kidding me?! Their 2014-15 season is done if he's out!

Yo if this is theisman type stuff then id never let players play in "charity" games! Stupid. Just dumb.

… this could've happened anywhere. Literally anywhere. Are you going to propose that the NBA ban players from offseason pickup games, too?

Yes.

If I'm an owner.. Yes.

I pay you a fifth my salary cap to lead my team to a title. To sell jerseys. To fill my stadium. Not to sit on the bench in a suit. It's business... That's all.

They're players, not property and it's the offseason: they have the right to play basketball during the summer if they want to.  As in, they literally have the express right to play free basketball and their teams cannot bar them from doing so, outside of specific health-related reasons.

You're paying them during the season to lead your team to a title? Cool, and they're using their down time to do something they're allowed to do and have done their whole lives largely without incident since… you know, this was a freak accident. There's not some epidemic of NBA players getting hurt over the offseason.

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2014, 03:40:09 AM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
This whole Team USA thing has Bugged me for many many years---Ridiculous to have our BEST NBA players, playing in what should be College-type games...I really hope teams get on the same page--and stop this nonsense.

When it was just The Olympics, I was okay with it (barely)---but Why the hell are they using NBA players in USA games every year---?

PG has financial security. Wouldn't it have been worse if this happened to a star college player (Okafor, Towns, Jabari or Smart last year..) who doesn't?

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2014, 03:45:03 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Ridiculous that the basket stanchion is so close to the court.
The owner of the facility should be sued.

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2014, 03:52:08 AM »

Offline Asher77

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
We saw the same thing in summer league when our player Bertans did a face plant. I have no idea why these players or teams would risk themselves with non uniform basket support depth. I know the $ is out there to prevent this.

Hope Paul recovers

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2014, 03:52:43 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
Ouch!

That is tough to watch, I just showed my girlfriend and she screamed!

I've seen a few of these types injuries before, and PG won't be back this season.
If there is any damage to his knee as well it could be a years worth of rehab, plus time to get back to game readiness.... man I really feel for the guy.

I don't really agree with the people saying Team USA shouldn't have it's best NBA players taking part in the FIBA World Champs.
Yes its not the Olympics, but I would have thought representing your country (in any sport, not just basketball) at the highest level would be every players dream?
All the guys at the training camp are there because they want too be, none of them were forced into taking part, and unfortunately freak accidents happen.

Wishing Paul a safe recovery, hopefully he can make it back and perform at the elite level again. 

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2014, 05:05:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
USA is a way too much risk for the reward for "STAR" players. Teams have too much invested in certain individuals for this. It's stupid from an investment standpoint. Hopefully teams restrict their most important nba assets from participating in non nba events. It's insane honestly.

Indiana just lost lance and potentially paul George on five weeks! Are you kidding me?! Their 2014-15 season is done if he's out!

Yo if this is theisman type stuff then id never let players play in "charity" games! Stupid. Just dumb.

… this could've happened anywhere. Literally anywhere. Are you going to propose that the NBA ban players from offseason pickup games, too?

Yes.

If I'm an owner.. Yes.

I pay you a fifth my salary cap to lead my team to a title. To sell jerseys. To fill my stadium. Not to sit on the bench in a suit. It's business... That's all.

I'd guess that every healthy player in the league plays basketball in the offseason. We see videos of Celts players doing it all the time.

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Ridiculous that the basket stanchion is so close to the court.
The owner of the facility should be sued.

Sue for what?

FIBA and college rules have the stanchion closer to the out-of-bounds line than NBA rules do

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2014, 08:17:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
So much for a Pacer s title this year. They could still make the playoffs with teams like the 76's and C's .   

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
George is 24, he will be 25 when he is "healed".  He is signed through 2019 when he will be a free agent and in his "prime".  This injury shouldnt effect his income ever as long as he gets back to 100% in the next 4 years.

This is the reason many have backed out of team USA but there will always be players willing to take the risk for their country, that's what the Olympics are all about.  Just because a star gets injured on TV doesn't mean cancel the men's basketball program in this country.

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
This will affect his career a lot.  He was getting better every year and would have stayed on that trajectory.

Now he will not play at all for almost a year and then need several months just to get close to the same physical condition.  Then you factor in the mental part.

He may return to all-star level in a couple of years but I doubt he will ever get back to the same path he was on to superstardom.  Even if he is 100% recovered, the time he lost and the mental aspect will be too much of a deterrent.

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2014, 10:51:28 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I will never figure out how team wouldn't, in their contracts, restrict players from engaging in these meaningless exhibitions.

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I will never figure out how team wouldn't, in their contracts, restrict players from engaging in these meaningless exhibitions.

Teams benefit from it too.  Extra playing time against the best players in the world help them develop.  If you've got an Olympic star, your team might benefit from more popularity and jersey sales.  If your star (like Paul George) is on your team long-term, he can help recruit other stars to your team when they're free agents and looking for trades.  The NBA as a whole benefits too, because the more your star players are on tv, the more eyeballs you get during your season.  That gets back to the owners by national tv deals and revenue sharing.  I don't know what the relationship is between USA basketball and the nba, but I'm sure there's some financial relationship there as well.

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2014, 11:27:26 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The whole thing shouldn't be nixed because of one bad injury.  This could've happened during an NBA game. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2014, 11:30:02 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Per Woj:

Owners and GMs united tonight: Paul George injury could be tipping point for use of stars in international play. "Game-changer," GM told me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/495436105752526849

This year was probably the best opportunity Indy had to win a ring. Sad.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
That Indiana team, even at their peak, were missing something.  They weren't going to win a championship. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell