Author Topic: Evan Turner And The Shot Chart Of Infinite Sadness (via The Classical)  (Read 2751 times)

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

You are looking at Evan Turner’s shot chart from the 2013-14 NBA season. On the surface it is simply a jarring, [dang]ing, fairly objective visual-spatial representation of his relative shortcomings as a basketball player. This is also true at several levels below the surface. That is what you’re looking at, there: Evan Turner’s awful, awful season, as represented by (mostly blueish or blue) dots.

And yet, it’s not just that. At least, it’s not just that for me, as someone who came to love watching Turner play during his time at Ohio State. I admired his versatile game and the palpable way that his uncommon force of will was present in his game. My fantasy in that year’s draft was that the Pacers would trade Danny Granger and the 10th pick (which wound up becoming Paul George) to the 76ers for the chance to move up and take Turner. I should note, here, that I’ve never held a front office job in the NBA.

Everything The Classical publishes is good. This is no exception.
http://theclassical.org/articles/evan-turner-and-the-shot-chart-of-infinite-sadness
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Re: Evan Turner And The Shot Chart Of Infinite Sadness (via The Classical)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Good article.  Funny too, albeit weird for me since I was a classmate of the author's from grades 4-12, and have my own memory of some of the Turner-corollary events.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 02:35:46 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I happen to like the color blue, so there's that.

If this is the shot chart for Evan Turner on the Celtics in 2014-2015, it will truly be that of infinite sadness. I pray it won't be like this. That Philly team was a free for all mess aiming at total dysfunction and a #1 overall pick. I anticipate the C's being at least 1 tier above that, with some semblance of coaching, structure and teamwork.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I happen to like the color blue, so there's that.

If this is the shot chart for Evan Turner on the Celtics in 2014-2015, it will truly be that of infinite sadness. I pray it won't be like this. That Philly team was a free for all mess aiming at total dysfunction and a #1 overall pick. I anticipate the C's being at least 1 tier above that, with some semblance of coaching, structure and teamwork.

I'd actually like just the Philly shot chart.  That team was horrible, but his time in Indiana made his half-season in Philly Hall of Fame material.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
I have faith in the guy and I wish him all the best, I got a feeling he will make an impact. He has that something.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I have faith in the guy and I wish him all the best, I got a feeling he will make an impact. He has that something.

I agree.  Hope he proves all the negative nancy's and debbie downers wrong

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The most i watched of Evan Turner was during the Celtics Sixers playoff series a few years ago. Turner was far from perfect, yet i saw a lot of potential there. I saw flashes of Boris Diaw with the way he scored around the hoop and played with versatility. He probably wont ever live up to being a number 2 pick however.

If he has any desire to reach his potential through hard work, and if coach Stevens is really great at improving the game of the young players, than this should be a good fit.

I like that Ainge is experimenting with low cost, high potential players at this stage. It reminds me of when Joe Dumars starting building a team around Chauncey Billups and Jerry Stackhouse while many chuckled at him. Too bad we don't have a Ben Wallace.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If Evan was a perfect player, we wouldn't have been able to afford him. Everyone wants young talent, but only if it's a guaranteed sure thing. Sometimes you have to take risks. Evan is a low cost risk, who at 25, can still make an impact in this league. Hold the whining until he gives us something to whine about.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 04:16:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If Evan was a perfect player, we wouldn't have been able to afford him. Everyone wants young talent, but only if it's a guaranteed sure thing. Sometimes you have to take risks. Evan is a low cost risk, who at 25, can still make an impact in this league. Hold the whining until he gives us something to whine about.
That's right. He is coming into a new and hopefully more supportive and structured environment. He may blossom here under BS.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So where can you find these shot charts for other players?

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
So where can you find these shot charts for other players?

stats.nba.com

http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player

Google.com
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
I fail to see the downside to turner. If he's good, we have a solid bench player. If he's bad we bench him and don't play.

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 06:02:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I fail to see the downside to turner. If he's good, we have a solid bench player. If he's bad we bench him and don't play.

The whole team forfeits the season if Turner plays badly?

Do we take the ball and go home, too?

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 06:30:10 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

The whole team forfeits the season if Turner plays badly?

Do we take the ball and go home, too?

Lol.  You know they were saying don't play "him."
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 07:45:24 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
worst part about the signing is that he's a guard. We have too many guards, including many young guys who need minutes for their development. Assuming he isn't good (which he won't be), I hope he will be really really bad so that he won't steal minutes from the guys with actual potential. Worst case scenario he plays OK enough to earn 20mpg, helps us win like 2 games more than we would've without him, and impairs the development of Smart and AB (and even Young). Either way it is probably the end for CJ. Sigh...