Author Topic: Thank you Otis Smith and the Orlando Magic  (Read 4529 times)

Thank you Otis Smith and the Orlando Magic
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:59:21 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Had Otis Smith taken the Nets offer of 3 First round picks and Lopez for Dwight Howard in 2012. We wouldnt be in the position that we are in with all these draft picks. Right now we would have a broken down KG Pierce would leave via free agency. Just goes to show you sometimes those deals come to you vs you have to go look for them. We as Celtics fans must say thank you to my man Otis.

Thanks Otis

Re: Thank you Otis Smith and the Orlando Magic
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:12:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Otis says "you're welcome."

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:36 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm not going that far but I will say, things like this are one reason Danny doesn't hop on everything and give up something he doesn't really want to. He feels, he can afford to wait for what he wants and always will have backup plans. I know people will say they don't see backup plans and that he doesn't have one after missing out on all the FA/RFA but I believe he is biding his time to implement them or maybe he hasn't even tried plan A. Like, maybe everyone thinks Love was plan A (probably close to only realistic big name "available" to us) but he may not have been. Maybe DA wants him but not as badly as others, who knows what he really thinks of guys like Sully and KO.

I'm going to give him time like every other team and championship teams had to do... Rome (most NBA champions) weren't built in a "day".
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:17:52 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Otis got a better deal by waiting too

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:31:25 PM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I still don't think the deal was that great, until Danny does something with those picks. Brooklyn is still a good/ok team with Dwill, JJ and Lopez. We are paying for it too at the moment with Wallace's contract, and taking on Hump last year to which took away playing time from Sullinger and Olynyk.

If we just let Pierce and KG's contracts expire, then we could have been in a position to sign a free agent this year, which may have been better value than the picks. Even next year, remove Wallaces contract and we have ample room to sign another max player with Rondo. Yes I know, who signs in Boston? But still, when did we have cap space last?

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 01:26:44 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I still don't think the deal was that great, until Danny does something with those picks. Brooklyn is still a good/ok team with Dwill, JJ and Lopez. We are paying for it too at the moment with Wallace's contract, and taking on Hump last year to which took away playing time from Sullinger and Olynyk.

If we just let Pierce and KG's contracts expire, then we could have been in a position to sign a free agent this year, which may have been better value than the picks. Even next year, remove Wallaces contract and we have ample room to sign another max player with Rondo. Yes I know, who signs in Boston? But still, when did we have cap space last?

Did you see how bad Brooklyn was last year. And they lost Livingston( a brightspot) and PP. And the East has gotten more balanced with good teams with Cleveland joining the ranks of the top teams.

Also KG would still be under contract so we'd still have the same capspace. Next year would be different, but not this year, and there was no realistic FA to go after that would make a difference.

When you can get  3 first round picks for guys in their mid to late 30's,no matter were they land, thats a good deal. Make them unprotected, that's a heck of a steel. 2016's is the best chance to be good, with capspace tied up and not picks to deal out for trades, the Net could be hurting unless they make some good moves.

Oh, and we also have that one pick we get to swap in 2017. DA got more from this deal than a lot of teams have gotten for Star players. Even it they aren't in the lotto.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 01:48:58 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Although Wallace's albatross of a contract hurts us short term.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think Danny ripped off the Nets and I TRUST IN DANNY!

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Obviously, we are in a better position because of the picks, but for now, they are not as valuable as most think.  We'll still have to get lucky by hitting on a mid round pick (a star, not just a rotation guy like Sully), or by having the Net's tank and have those picks get in the lottery.

But as it stands, a bunch of picks between 15-20 ain't getting it done. 

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

What free agent do you honestly think we could have signed with no supporting cast?  The only thing cap space does for the Celtics is allow us to sign guys long term that we get in a trade and the only way we're swinging a trade for a big name is with unprotected draft picks.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 04:36:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Did you see how bad Brooklyn was last year. And they lost Livingston( a brightspot) and PP. And the East has gotten more balanced with good teams with Cleveland joining the ranks of the top teams.

Also KG would still be under contract so we'd still have the same capspace. Next year would be different, but not this year, and there was no realistic FA to go after that would make a difference.

When you can get  3 first round picks for guys in their mid to late 30's,no matter were they land, thats a good deal. Make them unprotected, that's a heck of a steel. 2016's is the best chance to be good, with capspace tied up and not picks to deal out for trades, the Net could be hurting unless they make some good moves.

Oh, and we also have that one pick we get to swap in 2017. DA got more from this deal than a lot of teams have gotten for Star players. Even it they aren't in the lotto.
I agree that it is a common misconception that we would have had more cap space without Wallace's contract. The league minimum for team payroll means we probably would have for example, kept KG and been paying him instead as you said.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm not going that far but I will say, things like this are one reason Danny doesn't hop on everything and give up something he doesn't really want to. He feels, he can afford to wait for what he wants and always will have backup plans. I know people will say they don't see backup plans and that he doesn't have one after missing out on all the FA/RFA but I believe he is biding his time to implement them or maybe he hasn't even tried plan A. Like, maybe everyone thinks Love was plan A (probably close to only realistic big name "available" to us) but he may not have been. Maybe DA wants him but not as badly as others, who knows what he really thinks of guys like Sully and KO.

I'm going to give him time like every other team and championship teams had to do... Rome (most NBA champions) weren't built in a "day".
Indeed. For some perspective, look at all the moves made this offseason and the upgrade in overall talent WITHOUT sending out Rondo, Sully, Olynyk, Green, Bradley, Bass or any key picks I think that is pretty impressive.   8)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:58:19 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Had Otis took that trade offer for Dwight Howard, how do we know Danny Ainge stands pat and does absolutely nothing?

How do we know that another offer from some other team doesn't present itself?

From where we stand now, it won't be heck of a lot if we lose Rondo to FA, continue to frown upon Jeff Green, poorly develop the young talent that we already have....etc.

More youth to this team is a recipe for "overcrowding" or just adding more to our "stack of chips" for future trades.

I am in the camp that teams do not win through the draft, the winning happens through trades or FA signings.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 11:46:51 PM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Although Wallace's albatross of a contract hurts us short term.

How? You think we would have been in on Chandler Parsons or something? Just for the sake of argument, if Gerald Wallace was off the books, who would we have signed?