Author Topic: Laker Homerism at its height..  (Read 8004 times)

Re: Laker Homerism at its height..
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 01:57:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Maybe they got better "star power", but we got a better team.
Imagine a 7 game series: (player must be at least 3 years on roster)
LAKERS:
Starting five: Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, James Worthy, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Bench: Norm Nixon, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich, Michael Cooper, Jamaal Wilkes, Elgin Baylor, Paul Gasol, Bob McAdoo, George Mikan, Shaquille O'Neal

CELTICS:
Starting five: Nate Archibald, Ray Allen, Larry Bird, Kevin Garnett, Bill Russell
Bench: Bob Cousy, Jo-Jo White, Dennis Johnson, Sam Jones, John Havlicek, Paul Pierce, Kevin McHale, Dave Cowens, Bill Walton, Robert Parish

LA Lakers

I think the Lakers go with

PG: Magic Johnson (defending SF)
SG: Jerry West (defending PG)
SF: Kobe Bryant (defending SG)
PF: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
 C: Wilt Chamberlain

Leaving Shaq off the team is a tough call. I gave Wilt the nod over Shaq because this team is loaded with scorers already so I thought Wilt's value as a lower usage facilitator (defense, rebounding, passing, team offense) trumped Shaq's overwhelming physicality and individual scoring prowess. That Wilt would enable his teammates better than Shaq would which Wilt was excellent at in the final years of his career playing with the Lakers. If this team wasn't so loaded in scoring, I think Shaq has a good case to be picked over Wilt.

Boston Celtics

PG: Bob Cousy (defending PG normally, in this case defending Jerry West)
SG: Paul Pierce (defending SG)
SF: Larry Bird (defending SF normally, in this case Magic)
PF: Kevin Garnett
 C: Bill Russell

I wouldn't put Nate Archibald or Ray Allen in the team. They had their best years elsewhere. Not in Boston. Neither player came close to reaching the heights that Cousy, Pierce or Havlicek did as Celtics. 

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Could you imagine having Shaq screening for you though?  You would have like 6 feet of clear space to take a shot whenever you wanted.

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Cousy's shooting though.

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 05:59:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Remind them that the LA Lakers are not close to Boston in titles and point out a lot of their titles were actually won in Minneapolis which does not count for LA.  All Mikan's career was there not in LA.   This will clam them up and knock there titles down to 11.  All of Boston titles were in Boston.

In fact, their names comes from the Land of Many Laker because of MIN motto "Land of 10,000 Lakes" hence Lakers.   I do not think that LA has many good lakes and if they do the water quality is probably bad with all that smog.   I think they should change their names give this fact.  Hollywood Smoggers sounds right.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:14:41 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Frankly there are a lot of Lakers greats. I disagree with 8 in the top 15 but not with 8 in the top 25

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Remind them that the LA Lakers are not close to Boston in titles and point out a lot of their titles were actually won in Minneapolis which does not count for LA.  All Mikan's career was there not in LA.   This will clam them up and knock there titles down to 11.  All of Boston titles were in Boston.

In fact, their names comes from the Land of Many Laker because of MIN motto "Land of 10,000 Lakes" hence Lakers.   I do not think that LA has many good lakes and if they do the water quality is probably bad with all that smog.   I think they should change their names give this fact.  Hollywood Smoggers sounds right.

lakes in LA? no, there are none. i spent about a month there recently, they don't even have any puddles. and i mean that literally, there's no standing or flowing water anywhere. they wouldn't have any water at all if they hadn't diverted a river towards LA, destroying tons of farmland and landscape in the process. there's already water shortages there, it's a problem that is just going to get worse and worse as that horrible sprawl increases.
the smog was surprisingly not as bad as i'd expected. the traffic though is ludicrously bad, it takes forever to get anywhere during the day, and the highways are fairly crowded even at night.

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Its okay to diss Lakers but please don't diss LA. It is a great city. I love Boston and will not say anything to disparage Boston, but I love LA too. ;D

I have to stick up for Los Angeles!!!!!!