Author Topic: Laker Homerism at its height..  (Read 7975 times)

Laker Homerism at its height..
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
being a Celtic fan in Los Angeles you just have to lol when the Laker homers run their mouths on sports radio. I think it was yesterday that two clowns on the Laker flagship station were going on about how the top ten BB players of all time will easily include 7-8 players. They ran off 8 names. Then they started thinking about players from other teams that were probably deserving so they changed their thesis to top 15 BB players of all time will include Lakers. When they rounded off their top fifteen some of the noticeable players they left off were Dr. Jay, Moses Malone, Hondo. Anyway it was just laughable to have them go on and on.

They concluded by saying it was easier to run off 8 Lakers for the top fifteen than finding 8 that would qualify from other teams.

Comments?

Re: Laker Homerism at its height..
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
You could make a case for Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Elgin, Mikan, and West. That's only six, but I'm not sure the concept is wrong. The Celtics really only have two who qualify off the top of my head: Bird and Russell.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
What can you expect? They are Laker fans, one of the most delusional fanbases next to any fans that affiliates with LeBron (Heat wagoners or Cavs wagoners).

They don't even know Jim Buss screwed them over. I was so happy when they signed Mike D'Antoni to coach Kobe, Dwight, and Nash because that meant their team is about to derail hard.

And I live in Los Angeles too, I see those type of people everyday! Interestingly enough, there are so many Clipper fans walking around in their red/blue jerseys now compared to five years ago lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A few years ago, when most Laker fans first learned how to speak, read and write, you just knew sooner or later they would start writing down all the stupid things they think and say. So nothing in what you are telling me surprises me.

The world was a better place when Laker fans were illiterate grunting beach cave dwellers, you know, like back in the 1980's.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:59:11 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
You could make a case for Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Elgin, Mikan, and West. That's only six, but I'm not sure the concept is wrong. The Celtics really only have two who qualify off the top of my head: Bird and Russell.

Plus Shaq and Kobe.

For an unbiased list, Slams's top 500 of all time in 2011 had 7 Lakers in the top 15, with Mikan at 29.

And Bill Simmons in 2010 had those same 7 in his top 15, with Mikan again at the outside looking in at 38.

If anything, it's probably homerism for anybody to argue against the Lakers here.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:06:55 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Teachable moment: There's no such thing as an unbiased list, exemplified by the fact that Slam list has Shaq ahead of Kareem. Not to mention that Slam and Simmons are both decidedly era-biased sources.

That said, I might've ranked Mikan too high -- he was just one of the first names to pop into my head
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Teachable moment: There's no such thing as an unbiased list, exemplified by the fact that Slam list has Shaq ahead of Kareem. Not to mention that Slam and Simmons are both decidedly era-biased sources.

That said, I might've ranked Mikan too high -- he was just one of the first names to pop into my head

Lol, how about we clarify a little, unbiased towards a particular team.  Unless you think living in LA has affected Simmons judgement.  And who knows what OG's Slam had on their panel.   ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 04:07:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Sure, but let's keep going with the clarification: Slam's always been partial to what we might as well call the Shaq era (mid 90's to mid '00's) and Simmons's undeniable erection for the 80's has been sticking out of the waistband of his writerly gym shorts since he started the original BostonSportsGuy blog.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Lakers do dominate the top 15.  They have employed the best (or close to best) players of each era since their move to LA. 

The reality is, especially in today's NBA, the Lakers' GM has the easiest GM job in all of sports. 

All you need to do is create cap space.  LA is never more than a few years from a legit rebuild.   They don't need to make great trades or make great draft selections.  it doesn't matter -- they will rebuild within 3-5 years every time because FAs will go there.   No other team can count on that as a fool-proof strategy. 

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Shaq & Kobe.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Placing Shaq ahead of Kareem does not make it 'biased'.

All such lists are biased by definition. If done by personal perspective, it is biased to what you value. If a list is done by formula, choosing a formula introduces bias.

So it is pointless to call a ranking list biased. They all are. What has meaning is trying to figure out what the bias is.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Placing Shaq ahead of Kareem does not make it 'biased'.

All such lists are biased by definition. If done by personal perspective, it is biased to what you value. If a list is done by formula, choosing a formula introduces bias.

So it is pointless to call a ranking list biased. They all are. What has meaning is trying to figure out what the bias is.

And if you'd managed to read further down the thread, you would have noticed I addressed my suspicions on what the biases were -- although I do appreciate you confirming that lists are biased when I addressed the statement (which was not mine) that the idea of an "unbiased list" was silly.

Of course, any list claiming Shaq was better than Kareem could reasonably use the "brain irreparably damaged as a youth" bias as an explanation. That I did not include at first, but I think I should now.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
if the Lakers are so great----how come they have LOST so many NBA finals---?

Nobody is even close.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I wonder, is Lakers' Wilt top-15 all-time?  He only played five years there, on the down slope of his career.  He still had a couple of great seasons, but I'm not sure if that constitutes all-time greatness.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 06:29:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Top fifteen un-LAKER

Tim Duncan, Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Moses Malone, Julius Erving. I am stuck, someone help me out.

I guess they weren't being too unreasonable when they dialed it down to 15. At 10 they were really unrealistic. They may have a better argument at 15.