Author Topic: Why is Love not traded yet?  (Read 5307 times)

Re: Why is Love not traded yet?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
What about Boston getting involved and taking on Barea for Bogans while picking up that Cleveland 1st that was going to go to Minnesota. 

I would love to take Barea to Boston in this deal.

I wouldn't need a 1st round pick included. Barea is an expiring contract and I think he'd be a really good piece for this Celtics team.

It'd be nice for Rondo to have a true backup PG behind him. The number of scoring guards and combo guards who have failed as backup to Rondo in recent years has really annoyed me. They have never worked as well as intended. Having a backup PG who can run an offense and create for others -- and particularly get more dribble penetration for a Boston offense that was starved of it last season outside of Rondo -- would be a very good addition for the Celtics.

So I am happy with a straight swap of Bogans for Barea. Anything above that is bonus.

I mean, it's not our money, but there are luxury tax implications with that trade.  Is Barea really worth that?  You'd also have to cut a non-guaranteed player, presumably Pressey given the role Barea would fill.  I think it shouldn't be worth a pick for Minny to get rid of Barea, but it should be worth a pick for the Celtics to acquire him.

Oh nevermind then. I didn't realize Celtics were in luxury tax situation. Not worth paying tax for bench player playing on a non-contender.

Edit: According to Shamsports.com, the Celtics have $78.76 million in salary which includes the non-guaranteed payroll in the total figure. If they swap Bogans for Barea, that shaves $766k off salary. If they waive other non-guaranteed contracts (Johnson, Babb), Boston $1.713 million off salary. That would put them at $76.281 million which is a small bit below the luxury tax threshold of $76.829 million.

So that might be possible for Boston to swap Bogans for Barea and stay below LT threshold. If Shamsport salary figures are correct that is.

Oh, Evan Turner. He is not included in Shamsport figures. Not enough room.

Yeah, it would have worked pre-Turner.  Post-Tuner, while not knowing what they're paying him of course, I think acquiring Barea would put the C's about $2-3 million over the tax.

That said, the C's haven't yet signed Turner for a reason, and I think that's largely so they can try to move Bogans for something, and then sign Turner using the regular MLE and not the taxpayer MLE (thus preserving some of the MLE for a mid-season signing).  At a certain point, they'll just release Bogans and sign Turner, but I think they're waiting for the Love deal to occur.  I doubt it'd be for Barea, but who knows.

I think adding Barea and only getting rid of Bogans would put us into a tough spot of having 16 guaranteed contracts, thus requiring some sort of subsequent roster move.

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 05:46:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What about Boston getting involved and taking on Barea for Bogans while picking up that Cleveland 1st that was going to go to Minnesota. 

I would love to take Barea to Boston in this deal.

I wouldn't need a 1st round pick included. Barea is an expiring contract and I think he'd be a really good piece for this Celtics team.

It'd be nice for Rondo to have a true backup PG behind him. The number of scoring guards and combo guards who have failed as backup to Rondo in recent years has really annoyed me. They have never worked as well as intended. Having a backup PG who can run an offense and create for others -- and particularly get more dribble penetration for a Boston offense that was starved of it last season outside of Rondo -- would be a very good addition for the Celtics.

So I am happy with a straight swap of Bogans for Barea. Anything above that is bonus.

I mean, it's not our money, but there are luxury tax implications with that trade.  Is Barea really worth that?  You'd also have to cut a non-guaranteed player, presumably Pressey given the role Barea would fill.  I think it shouldn't be worth a pick for Minny to get rid of Barea, but it should be worth a pick for the Celtics to acquire him.

Oh nevermind then. I didn't realize Celtics were in luxury tax situation. Not worth paying tax for bench player playing on a non-contender.

Edit: According to Shamsports.com, the Celtics have $78.76 million in salary which includes the non-guaranteed payroll in the total figure. If they swap Bogans for Barea, that shaves $766k off salary. If they waive other non-guaranteed contracts (Johnson, Babb), Boston $1.713 million off salary. That would put them at $76.281 million which is a small bit below the luxury tax threshold of $76.829 million.

So that might be possible for Boston to swap Bogans for Barea and stay below LT threshold. If Shamsport salary figures are correct that is.

Oh, Evan Turner. He is not included in Shamsport figures. Not enough room.

Yeah, it would have worked pre-Turner.  Post-Tuner, while not knowing what they're paying him of course, I think acquiring Barea would put the C's about $2-3 million over the tax.

That said, the C's haven't yet signed Turner for a reason, and I think that's largely so they can try to move Bogans for something, and then sign Turner using the regular MLE and not the taxpayer MLE (thus preserving some of the MLE for a mid-season signing).  At a certain point, they'll just release Bogans and sign Turner, but I think they're waiting for the Love deal to occur.  I doubt it'd be for Barea, but who knows.

I think adding Barea and only getting rid of Bogans would put us into a tough spot of having 16 guaranteed contracts, thus requiring some sort of subsequent roster move.

Yes, I said that:

You'd also have to cut a non-guaranteed player, presumably Pressey given the role Barea would fill.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The deadline has passed for cutting Pressey before his contract became guaranteed for this season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
if Flip Saunders trades Kevin Love to Cleveland---WITHOUT getting Andrew Wiggins back...he should be executed.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The deadline has passed for cutting Pressey before his contract became guaranteed for this season.

I mistyped my response I realize now.  I meant on not non-guaranteed player.  This is why I shouldn't quickly post between meetings at work.

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »

fitzhickey

if Flip Saunders trades Kevin Love to Cleveland---WITHOUT getting Andrew Wiggins back...he should be executed.
Imagine a rotation of Kyrie/Wiggins/LeBron/Love/Andy

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 08:14:10 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Love isnt traded yet because the Cs will get him using Babb, Chris Johnson, Wallace and Bogans. Minny will also send out 5 draft picks to complete the deal. Taylor really wants Wallace and Bogans on his team.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Gotta wait till thirty days after Wiggins was signed. I think the fact that Love hasn't been traded yet  means that Wiggins will be part of a Love deal.

I also read that Bennett's agent pulled him from a pro-am game yesterday, meanwhile Love with drew from USA basketball for the summer.

I'd say Wiggins and Bennett are both going. Flip's got no reason to make the trade without getting Wiggins.
We shall see!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.