Author Topic: Why is Love not traded yet?  (Read 5285 times)

Why is Love not traded yet?
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Even the talk of him going to the Cavs have quiet down.  What is going on? 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:35:06 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: Why is Love not traded yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Even the talk of him going to the Cavs have quiet down.  What is going on? 

Quiet down? It's on ESPN's front page.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
Oh, I don't really hear much about it anymore.  Maybe I'm just slow on my news these days ;D.  What's the hold up though?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Wiggins still can't be traded, for one.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The foundation of a trade sounds like it's in place.  It can't go through for another three weeks or so, so there's not a ton to talk about.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

Oh yea, forgot about that one.  So Wiggins has been signed?  I also thought they haven't being able to come to terms as far as what Cavs want.  Weren't the Cavs asking for more than just Wiggins? 

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's been a done deal for a while now.  Love will be a Cav.  They aren't legally allowed to confirm it publicly until wiggins can be traded.

That team should own the Eastern Conference with an iron fist for the foreseeable future. Maybe in 5 years philly can give them a fight.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:43:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Oh yea, forgot about that one.  So Wiggins has been signed?  I also thought they haven't being able to come to terms as far as what Cavs want.  Weren't the Cavs asking for more than just Wiggins?

The details are still variable, but Wiggins signed last week, and he's the cornerstone of any Cleveland/Minny deal, so Roy's prediction of three weeks or so is accurate.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If wiggins is involved, cavs need to pry away dieng from the wolves somehow (especially if love wont pickup the option)

To cavs: love, dieng
To wolves: wiggins, bennett, waiters, 1st

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They could agree a deal in principle involving Wiggins and announce it right now before Wiggins is eligible to be traded.

Sacramento and Houston did that a few years ago when trading Artest there for Donte Greene. They agreed a deal and then had to wait a few weeks until Greene was eligible to be traded after signing rookie contract during summer league.

I am surprised that that hasn't happened yet. I wonder what the hold up is.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
My guess is Cleveland are looking for third and maybe fourth teams to enter the deal to give them value for Bennett and/or Waiters and/or T.Thompson.

That Cleveland have agreed Wiggins for K-Love but are trying to find way to get better value for Bennett and Co than using them solely as cap filler to make deal possible without giving up Varejao. Trying to get 3rd and 4th teams in to give them expiring contracts + future draft picks for Bennett and maybe others. Keep the draft picks (or most of them anyway) for themselves and give Minnesota only Wiggins, expiring deals and maybe a pick.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The foundation of a trade sounds like it's in place.  It can't go through for another three weeks or so, so there's not a ton to talk about.

But there's no reason an agreement in principle can't be leaked to the media.  Trades are "announced" that way all the time.  That it hasn't happened in this case, with all the attention, probably means there's some significant steps that have yet to be taken.  Whether it's Love agreeing to opt in for the final year of his current contract or a search for a 3rd or 4th team to get involved, it doesn't look like this deal is done.

It probably will, though.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It's borderline absurd to ask the Cavs to give up Wiggins plus other prospects for a guy who won't at least opt in to he last year of his contract, nevermind sign an extension. Love still insists on being a free agent next summer. My guess is this is the major holdup.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
They could agree a deal in principle involving Wiggins and announce it right now before Wiggins is eligible to be traded.

Sacramento and Houston did that a few years ago when trading Artest there for Donte Greene. They agreed a deal and then had to wait a few weeks until Greene was eligible to be traded after signing rookie contract during summer league.

My guess is everyone knows what the deal is, but there's no reason for Minnesota to accept it much before it can officially occur.  There's always the chance that some other team at the last minute swoops in.  Might as well give yourself the biggest window possible for another team to make a move.

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's being reported that the league won't allow it:

NBA officials are adamant that there can be no acknowledgement of a trade, from either the Wolves or the Cavaliers, until the 30 days pass from Wiggins' signing.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11289379/minnesota-timberwolves-talking-kevin-love-trade-only-cleveland-cavaliers

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes