Author Topic: if the Celtics had Aldridge how far could the team go?  (Read 4112 times)

if the Celtics had Aldridge how far could the team go?
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Be the last four team standing from the east?
Have a chance at the ring?

Aldridge/zeller
Sully/ko
Green
Ab/smart
Rondo/smart

Are we one complete front court player (like an aldridge) away to go all the way or still need more?

Re: if the Celtics had Aldridge how far could the team go?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think you'd still need one more piece but getting Aldridge would be a HUGE step in the right direction.

In the weak east, we would probably be a top 4 seed.

I am hoping Aldridge does hit free agency next summer and if so, at least we have a puncher's chance with our cap space.

Aldridge easily becomes our modern day "KG."

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think we'd be pretty good with him. anywhere in the top 4 range in the east. the team still would be lacking a good perimeter scorer and C of course.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think a lot of people underestimate just how strong the Blazers starting 5 are -- Batum and Wes Matthews aren't exactly slouches, even if they're not household names.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think LaMarcus would be the center if we had him on this team. I think the C's would be very good. Too bad we don't have him. If free agency next summer is an option, then I'll pray for that.

Aldridge
KO
Green
Bradley
Rondo
~~~~~
Sully/Bass/Zeller (bench bigs)
Turner/Smart/Thornton (bench littles)

That front line of LaMarcus, Kelly & Jeff would be really tall and highly skilled. Add a couple pit bulls in Rondo and Bradley (with Smart off the pine) and other teams would be quaking in their boots. 

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:02 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
The East is so unpredictable if The Celtics were able to get a top tier player like Aldridge they can slide in the 3-6 range.. However it will not happen..

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
If we just added Aldridge to this roster, I think we are a 6-8 seed. If we built around rondo and Aldridge, the sky is the limit. His game is crippled if he is having to play center because he dominates with center size as a 4. We would still need a rim protector IMHO.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We'd take the division for sure so it'd be at least a top 4 seed.  No real prohibitive favorite in the East this year.  Don't think he's enough to put us over the top--still need a real #2 scorer.  It's not Green and I don't think Sully/Kelly will be at that level next year.

of course the topic might as well be asking "how far would they go with SuperStar Player X" since we won't have any of the league's top players on the roster next year.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think the C's would be a top 6 seed, I'm not nearly as high on Aldridge as many are though.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think a lot of people underestimate just how strong the Blazers starting 5 are -- Batum and Wes Matthews aren't exactly slouches, even if they're not household names.

They're decent players but Batum is slightly over rated and Mathews is meh...
Problem for the Blazers is their coach's strategy relies too much on jump shooting when the team isn't good enough at jump shooting against playoff level defenses.
Is Batum really any different to Jeff Green? Mathews any better than Avery Bradley?

I'd say their biggest need is a bench scorer and a better SG than Wes Mathews.
Coach is great but I dunno how successful they can be with that strategy- I doubt they ever get to the WCF if they stay with the shooter mcgavin offense.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
2nd round max, still need another scorer and that rim protector to go all the way.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The East is weak right now, so yeah, that team would be a threat to come out of the East. Not a frontrunner but a threat. One of a handful of teams capable of pulling it off. A very high likelihood to lose in the Finals to whoever comes out of the West.

In the West, that team would be a low seed playoff team. 1st or 2nd round and out.

That Celtics team would be more of a 2nd tier side than a top team. Still need one more move to be one of the top 3-4 teams in the league. Either an interior defender or a top notch wing player.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
To answer triboy's original post, we are much further away than just Aldridge. He's a great player but Rondo+him is not enough. Smart could be an All Star one day (out of everyone on our roster), but he's 3 years away from that at best.

We'd need Aldridge and we'd need to add a solid defensive big like Asik. Good news is they are both free agents at the end of the year.
So Rondo, Aldridge, Asik, Green and Bradley- it's still not enough but you'd have to live with that team for at least a season while Smart, Sully and Olynyk get better.

You'd then hope that after a year, Smart can knock down the 3 pt shot at 35% and he can play Avery Bradley's role as the defensive pitbull- except he'll be on the rookie scale deal.

Green will be gone so you'd need to find another wing that can shoot the three and defend, with Bradley coming off the bench.

I'm saying that this team's current roster with Aldridge added would still need Smart to become a top 20 NBA player to be a true contender- before Rondo turns 31 ideally. That's 3 and a half years from now. Pretty unlikely but possible.

You need that third star player who is at least an All Star caliber player, and a big man to patrol the paint so Aldridge can drag his defender out to 15 feet and work his magic.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Chambers how many stars do you need ?

Look at the spurs. They dont even have a top 10 player in their roster anymore and still won last season. You dont always need to create a lebron, wade, bosh like team to be the best
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:40:50 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Chambers how many stars do you need ?

Look at the spurs. They dont even have a top 10 player in their roster anymore and still won last season. You dont always need to create a lebron, wade, bosh like team to be the best

While they might not have a top ten player on their roster individually, the Spurs have had over a decade of three sure fire Hall of Famers (including one of the best power forwards to ever hit the NBA) playing together in the same system under the same coach, which essentially amounts to the same thing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.