Author Topic: What is the next move to make  (Read 9403 times)

Re: What is the next move to make
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 10:06:57 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I don't get why so many people want Perk so bad... I'll keep Bass (who is underrated for sure). I'm not saying Bass is all that but he's better than Perk! I don't care what everyone says. 0.0

Perk= Mythical god on CB.

Oh and on topic, a little trimming down and use our non-guarantees and maybe some second rounders to snag an under appreciated/utilized talent.

Agreed.

Bass should be #1 on the trading block, but not for Perk unless solid compensation.

+1
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I know this isn't about Perk but I think he would have been an excellent fit with LBJ and Mia. He would have been better with them than with OKC and with the team we are building.

People want a rim protector/paint defender but Perk would not be the guy we need. DJordan would be our type if that's what we really want but I doubt we do b/c we seem to want a stretch 4 and 5. I think we are making a team with strong perimeter defense and can afford our bigs to be less talented in that arena. If we really wanted a big who could only/mainly protect the rim, we would have one... even if he was on the lower level of bigs.

Really, after all these seasons, you would think people would start to think that MAYBE the type of big they want probably isn't the type of big DA wants.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Move Brock Holt to SS. Oh wait, wrong team...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 11:09:34 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Our next move is tank baby tank.

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 11:17:55 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Don't think it's because people are overrating Perk.

Just that people think Bass is junk.

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 11:19:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
In fact, I think the next move to make is figuring out how to move Bass.

Obviously Bass is a superior player to Perk at this stage, but this doesnt change the reality of what's needed on our roster now. It does impact the reality of what DA might get back for Bass. But the fact that GS wouldnt take on Bass, giving us the trade exception doesnt bode well for the Bass market. DA may have to wait for the season when injuries start impacting other rosters....

I think that timing had a lot to do with Golden State not doing a deal.  Luxury tax implications probably also played a role.  They might consider it if they still had their trade exception now, although they'd probably still hold off to maintain flexibility until Kevin Love gets traded (if he gets traded).

If the alternative is swapping expiring contracts, it may make more sense to keep Bass around in the hopes of either flipping him at the deadline to a team with a hole due to injury or otherwise getting a Humphries-like return for him in a sign-and-trade, or possibly even bringing him back as a back-up in a scenario where one of Olynyk/Sullinger is the starter and the other is traded in a package for a second star to pair with Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Don't understand the Bass hate.  He's one of the better more consistent players on the team.  We need a rim protector and a young PP.

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Green will be gone after this season. Bass will likely be gone too.
Danny tried to trade Bass for a trade exception to the Warriors recently. He's a great solid role player, just doesn't have a place on this rebuilding team any more because of his age and expiring contract.
Do people know that from 2010-11 when he was traded here, he was the best shooter in the NBA from 5-15 feet for two season straight? ie the best elbow jumpshooter in the NBA. He was 1, KG was 2 and Dirk Nowitzki was 3.
Bass is a huge part of our 2011-12 Eastern Conference Finals appearance and the ability to use two stretch big men that could drain that jumpshot and bring defenders away from the basket.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
The next move is to do nothing, I guess. Just make the cuts of the non-guaranteeds.
- LilRip

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 11:07:40 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
[Bass is] a great solid role player, just doesn't have a place on this rebuilding team any more because of his age and expiring contract.
Do people know that from 2010-11 when he was traded here, he was the best shooter in the NBA from 5-15 feet for two season straight? ie the best elbow jumpshooter in the NBA. He was 1, KG was 2 and Dirk Nowitzki was 3.
Bass is a huge part of our 2011-12 Eastern Conference Finals appearance and the ability to use two stretch big men that could drain that jumpshot and bring defenders away from the basket.

Agreed. There is no Bass hate here. This is about the immediate needs of this roster. But I agree, patience is a virtue in terms of moving Bass for something more than a salary dump.

Also, not sure I agree with Shak about DA not wanting a traditional big man. I agree that they are not trying to build an inside out game but they need someone who can play that role when needed, even if in a limited role. Let's not forget that DA was also responsible for drafting Perk and BigAl, and Perk played a crucial role in both our recent finals appearances, and in fact his injury in the 2010 finals cost us the series.

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 11:56:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
in fact his injury in the 2010 finals cost us the series.

Not even close to being true.   We were up and had a melt down combined with David Stern reffing and like 20+ FTA by the Lakers in the final quarter.   I doubt Perk would have helped in our inability to score down the stretch.

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 12:14:13 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Green will be gone after this season. Bass will likely be gone too.
Danny tried to trade Bass for a trade exception to the Warriors recently. He's a great solid role player, just doesn't have a place on this rebuilding team any more because of his age and expiring contract.

I didn't know that - just another good reason to read these boards. It's upsetting sometimes to hear some fans complain about guys like Bass who are solid contributors and execute their roles to a T - but are caught in a situation like ours where they lack the superstar for them to support. Bass in New Orleans could help them make the finals. Just like Posey helped us win a banner. He wasn't the best player on the roster, but he did the little things with no fanfare or accolades.

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The next move is to do nothing, I guess. Just make the cuts of the non-guaranteeds.
I think so. They have to get to max 15 for roster can be done by cutting Bogans Babb and CJ.

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think so. They have to get to max 15 for roster can be done by cutting Bogans Babb and CJ.

I wouldn't be surprised of something like Bass, Bogans, maybe Babb and Johnson for 1 player.

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »

Offline brandonmm94

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
How would you guys feel about trading rondo and green with the nuggets and getting back ty lawson, mozgov, and gallinari? kind of a long shot, but I think this trade could help out both teams and it did work on the trade machine..