Author Topic: Is Kyle Korver is one of the most underrated players in the league  (Read 4996 times)

Re: Is Kyle Korver is one of the most underrated players in the league
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 08:03:36 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Would you say he's the new Ray Allen?

Or maybe a slightly better defensive version... but less skilled at creating his own shot?

WHAT!? :o  No, absolutely not.  Ashton Kutcher's lookalike is terrible defensively.  Don't you remember when he was in Chicago?  His was the match up in addition to Boozer, that every team keyed in on, and rightfully so.  The guy can't guard a brick, nor can he dribble or pass, especially not at the Ray Allen level. 

Good grief, people. 

While he looks clumsy and slow afoot, I don't think he is as bad defensively as you make him out to be.  Some of the experts say he is actually not a net negative due to his effort, length, and intelligence. 

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 08:22:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think most fans who pay attention have him properly rated.  He's a role player who has to be covered at all times, meaning he puts pressure on a defense.  He's got one elite skill which is very important.  Everything else -- defense, passing, rebounding, etc. -- isn't much to write home about, but that one skill makes him a very good player to have on your team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

Or maybe a slightly better defensive version... but less skilled at creating his own shot?

What?!  :o Your statement looks as silly as Rondo with antlers in your avatar. i know the problem with you probably you're a "pure" celtics fan and don't know much about pre-celtic Ray Allen. But even then it's blasphemous!  ::)

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 08:51:34 AM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
BTW Korver is a pretty good player. Definitely underrated.

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think most fans who pay attention have him properly rated.  He's a role player who has to be covered at all times, meaning he puts pressure on a defense.  He's got one elite skill which is very important.  Everything else -- defense, passing, rebounding, etc. -- isn't much to write home about, but that one skill makes him a very good player to have on your team.

Yup. That's why its not a surprise he's on the Team USA shortlist for the World Cup.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:35 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

But judging from the posts in this thread you guys are overrating the hell out of him. Woulda thought he was the second coming
This.

People actually rate him pretty perfectly.  They say he's an awesome shooter.  Considering that's basically all he is, unless you say he's a bad shooter, you're not underrating him.

When you take one-dimensional players that people actually understand and start claiming they're underrated, that's how you make a player overrated (see Noah).

BigAl is correct, that's started to happen in this thread.  I've never really heard a poster sell Kyle Kover short on these boards, but now we've got people saying he's the perfect 3 and D guy, the perfect 3rd option, the next Ray Allen, etc.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He's probably underrated by people who think that Jimmer Fridette can be the next Kyle Korver.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I took my son to the Atlanta game last year and we were courtside for the warmups (before we went to our actual nosebleed seats).  Korver was the only Hawk on the court practicing before the game and I was amazed by his shooting.  He was hitting EVERYTHING beyond the arc.  It really was something to see up close.  He was also a lot taller than I expected...I didn't realize that he was 6'7".  On the way to the lockerroom, he signed autographs and talked to the kids.  Seemed like a good dude.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 10:12:36 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

WHAT!? :o  No, absolutely not.  Ashton Kutcher's lookalike is terrible defensively.  Don't you remember when he was in Chicago?  His was the match up in addition to Boozer, that every team keyed in on, and rightfully so.  The guy can't guard a brick, nor can he dribble or pass, especially not at the Ray Allen level. 

Good grief, people. 

While he looks clumsy and slow afoot, I don't think he is as bad defensively as you make him out to be.  Some of the experts say he is actually not a net negative due to his effort, length, and intelligence.

Maybe not, but I can only reference what I've seen, and whoever he was guarding felt like he had a mismatch against him, imo.  At least, that's how I saw it.  He was constantly exploited defensively by whoever the Bulls were playing.  It was almost like a sigh of relief seeing him coming into a game for Chicago's opponents, like, "oh thank god.  Finally, someone who isn't an elite defender on this team," ;D