Author Topic: Barring Rondo's injury, how good could our 2012-13 team had been?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
You guys think we would have made another deep playoff run with a healthy Rondo that season? I know we were in a bit of a funk with a 20-23 record prior to his injury but you think we would've readjusted in time to make some noise in the playoffs? Most likely we wouldn't have had the 7th seed and even if we did, I think we could've taken down the Knicks in 6 games.

Re: Barring Rondo's injury, how good could our 2012-13 team had been?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:01:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Should've been very good. Terry and Lee misused, Lee's shot was not on its usual form, Bradley was missing half a season, Darko looked promising until he got injured and then neglected, Doc fell in love with Jason Collins for some odd reason.

I don't know, from top to bottom that team severely underperformed.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think if Rondo was healthy, that we would have at least 7-8 more wins.

We also would've for sure beat the Knicks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
If we stayed as the 7 seed, we'd have slapped the Knicks around. We have a tendency to do that. Playoff Rondo could have possibly sent us back to the ECF, depending on what seed we had. Wouldn't get past that and Miami, though.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:29:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I was very optimistic about that team headed into the season, but quickly soured on them.  I don't think the pieces fit together nearly as well as most had hoped.  Just not enough energy and athleticism.  Terry was far less than what he had been two years prior.  Rondo failed to take up the mantle of the team's leader in a way that actually translated into wins.

I think if Rondo and Barbosa hadn't gone down, the team would have finished closer to 45-47 wins, and they may very well have won that first round series against the Knicks because that Knicks team was primed for a collapse.

Nevertheless, that team was a far cry from a contender.  They needed Rondo and Jeff Green to be the two best players on the team, and they weren't.  As in the past, that placed too much of a burden on Pierce and Garnett, who really needed to be picking their spots the way Ginobili and Duncan have been for the Spurs the last 3-5 years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Based on the timing of certain comments, I think it is possible that Rondo's injury may have been the deciding factor in Ainge not signing Kenyon Martin.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:54:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Probably similar to the year before. The team had problems but worked through a lot of them as the season progressed but they didn't have Rondo to lead them in the playoffs. Players like KG and Bass (especially) would have been more effective in the playoffs with Rondo and the historically bad offense wouldn't have happened.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:25:22 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I think the team could have beaten the Knicks, but would have lost to Indiana. At the very least, records in offensive impotency wouldn't have been set.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 01:29:27 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Let's see, Terry was awful, but he was also completely misused, so there's that ;D  I wish that we had given Darko a chance, but looking back, why not sign Nazr Mohammed, or who I wanted at the time, Elton Brand, instead?  At least you know what you're getting out of those two every game.  Barbosa's injury really hurt us as well, but you're forgetting the loss of another guy who could have been a tremendous help off the bench - Sullinger.  We just couldn't catch a break that year.  Having said that, with a starting lineup of Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, Bass, and KG, I don't care what our record is, especially against the Knicks, who we would have beaten with Rondo, I like our chances.  If we had then gone up against Indiana - who knows?  We might have squeaked by them, but probably not.  Even if we had, though, I don't think that we could have won two games against Miami, let alone beaten them, not with Ray playing so well for them in addition to his divulging his intimate knowledge of all of our players and plays.  It might have been like facing Thibs.  Ugh.  I do think that we could have definitely made some noise, though. 

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 01:33:04 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
With Rondo minus Jared Sullinger and Barbosa?

7th seeded Celtics would beat the 2nd seeded Knicks. And then get decimated by the 3rd seeded Pacers.

With Rondo, Jared Sullinger, and Leandro Barbosa?

We'd crush the Knicks, and would probably lose to the Pacers in 7 games.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Based on the timing of certain comments, I think it is possible that Rondo's injury may have been the deciding factor in Ainge not signing Kenyon Martin.

Good post LooseCannon. I was always under the impression that KG didn't exactly "like" Martin based on stuff I've read over the years but perhaps Rondo's injury had more to do with it.

IIRC, wasn't there rumors before Rondo's injury about a possible RR-Dwight swap with the Lakers?

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Good post LooseCannon. I was always under the impression that KG didn't exactly "like" Martin based on stuff I've read over the years but perhaps Rondo's injury had more to do with it.

IIRC, wasn't there rumors before Rondo's injury about a possible RR-Dwight swap with the Lakers?

Close.  I believe the rumor was a swap of Pau Gasol for Rondo, haha, and yet people on here actually endorsed the deal ::)  Sigh.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There was talk of it.