Author Topic: Are the Pelicans now a threat to steal the 7th/8th seed in the West?  (Read 3446 times)

Re: Are the Pelicans now a threat to steal the 7th/8th seed in the West?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Tyreke Evans and Jrue Holiday didn't coexist well together last year. Watching this team, they excelled when one of them was on the floor but when both were on the floor they both tried to initiate and run the offense and it led to some strange offense at times. Gotta define their roles much better or move one.

And that's where I hope Monty Williams can grow as a coach. He reminds me a lot of Doc in that he seems to be great with player personalities but he doesnt have the most imaginative offense.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Ajinca is a pretty solid 4th big man.  Good size, doesn't make mistakes, can fill in when needed.  Even Jeff Withey is a pretty solid 5th big man.  I don't have any issues with their bigs.  Now they definitely are light in the back-court and on the wing, though I do like the Jimmer signing and bringing in Russ Smith, though I don't think Smith is ready for the full on back-up role.  Rivers and Babbitt are definitely sub-par back-ups at the 2 and 3.  They need one more solid MLE type player for that role.  Would really help the team out a great deal.  Maybe they can bring Shawn Marion in for some quality depth.  Heck even the knucklehead that is Michael Beasley would help the Pelicans out a great deal.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Starting 5 this season (presumably):

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Eric Gordon
SF Tyreke Evans
PF Anthony Davis
C Omer Asik

Bench:
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers
Greg Steimsma
Luke Babbit
Alexs Ajinca
Jeff Withey

Tyreke Evans is not a talented enough defender to handle the League's small forwards. They are going to be asking A LOT of Davis and Asik defensively. Basically they have two great defensive players, and three shooting guards who don't play defense.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I think they are, I don't think they make it though.

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Starting 5 this season (presumably):

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Eric Gordon
SF Tyreke Evans
PF Anthony Davis
C Omer Asik

Bench:
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers
Greg Steimsma
Luke Babbit
Alexs Ajinca
Jeff Withey

Tyreke Evans is not a talented enough defender to handle the League's small forwards. They are going to be asking A LOT of Davis and Asik defensively. Basically they have two great defensive players, and three shooting guards who don't play defense.

depends if those small forwards can post him up and abuse him. Most couldn't post him and abuse him. Remember the question is can they make the playoffs- there are plenty of playoff teams without elite small forwards. The West have got...the Clippers (Matt Barnes), the Grizzlies (T Prince), the Rockets (Ariza), the Mavs (Parsons), Portland (Batum)....that's off the top of my head. Now yeah they might have size/ length on Evans but he could burn every one of them to the hole- it just makes it a different kind of match up.

If they came up against Durant or Lebron then yeah he'd struggle mightily, but he sees them 4-6 times a year at most. It won't be their concern because there's no huge disadvantage. Other teams will also be so busy trying to stop Davis that he'll get so many open looks and cuts.

I know what you're saying but it's not as relevant to them making the 7th/8th seed. It's more relevant to a team looking to be a contender.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Davis is my favorite power forward in the league right now.

Fear the Brow....ooops now I have to pay AD 50 bucks.

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
This team will crack the top 5 or 6 I believe.  I just think the defense of Davis & Asik is going to really shut teams down.  The Pelicans will be top 3 in Defense in the NBA this year.   Davis is such a beast. I really see them winning 45+. 
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think they are a playoff team. With some tweeks they can be a contender.

1. Gordon has to stay healthy

2. Evans should be the 6th man and a 3-D SF needs to start over him. Or he needs to be traded for a starting SF. Why not trade Rivers + Withey to LAC for Dudley? Doc gets his son and NO gets a vet SF. Withey has potential but I think P Young is a steal and will earn minutes.

3. They need a vet perimeter player on the bench. Jimmer might be a nice addition but an end of his carrear playoff tested vet would be good on that bench. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 11:46:33 PM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
I don't think they are a playoff team yet but they got a one rising franchise player.

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I hope the Pels make the playoffs. I want to see Davis take another step towards his potential!