Author Topic: Are the Pelicans now a threat to steal the 7th/8th seed in the West?  (Read 3442 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Starting 5 this season (presumably):

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Eric Gordon
SF Tyreke Evans
PF Anthony Davis
C Omer Asik

Bench:
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers
Greg Steimsma
Luke Babbit
Alexs Ajinca
Jeff Withey

Depending on Davis' improvement is it save to say that they are better than last years Timberwolves? Are they better than last years suns?
I actually didn't put them in the top 8 in the West but they are actually pretty close if they don't finish top 8.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Are the Pelicans now a threat to steal the 7th/8th seed in the West?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:37:20 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Eric Gordon
SF Tyreke Evans
PF Anthony Davis
C Omer Asik

Bench:
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers
Greg Steimsma
Luke Babbit
Alexs Ajinca
Jeff Withey

Depending on Davis' improvement is it save to say that they are better than last years Timberwolves? Are they better than last years suns?
I actually didn't put them in the top 8 in the West but they are actually pretty close if they don't finish top 8.

NO

bench player are not good
tyreke gordon holiday had injury problems
back-up SG SF PG are not good

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Eric Gordon
SF Tyreke Evans
PF Anthony Davis
C Omer Asik

Bench:
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers
Greg Steimsma
Luke Babbit
Alexs Ajinca
Jeff Withey

NO

Yeah, the bench is a big problem for New Orleans. One of the worst in the league 7th-12th.

However, their top 6 guys though are very impressive. They could get them to the playoffs despite the lousy bench. With a solid bench, this team could win 50 games.

I would love to see New Orleans sign a decent 3+D guy to play small forward. Say Thabo Sefolosha. Then move Tyreke Evans to the bench. A tight 7 man rotation with Tyreke and R.Anderson both potential candidates for 6th man of the year. That would be a very impressive basketball team.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Eric Gordon
SF Tyreke Evans
PF Anthony Davis
C Omer Asik

Bench:
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers
Greg Steimsma
Luke Babbit
Alexs Ajinca
Jeff Withey

NO

Yeah, the bench is a big problem for New Orleans. One of the worst in the league 7th-12th.

However, their top 6 guys though are very impressive. They could get them to the playoffs despite the lousy bench. With a solid bench, this team could win 50 games.

I would love to see New Orleans sign a decent 3+D guy to play small forward. Say Thabo Sefolosha. Then move Tyreke Evans to the bench. A tight 7 man rotation with Tyreke and R.Anderson both potential candidates for 6th man of the year. That would be a very impressive basketball team.

Shawn Marion And Ramon Sessions  ;)

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
bench is trash! the West is so strong, the Pelicans might squeak with 8, but they will struggle so much in the postseason

my top West teams are

1. Spurs
2. Thunder
3. Clippers
4. Trailblazers
5. Dallas
6. Rockets
7. Golden State
8. Struggle between Pelicans, SacTown and Memphis

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think the Peliees are 100% a threat to get into the playoffs or even steal a series. They're not a top 8 team right now, but they're a threat for it, sure. They need a healthy Ryno, and that alone gives them maybe the best 3-man bigs rotation in the West. That alone makes them immensely dangerous.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:25:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think they're another move or two away.  The starting lineup doesn't entirely fit that well together, and they have pretty crappy depth.

But Holiday at point, Davis at PF, and Asik at C is a great start.  That's 30 wins right there, if everybody is reasonably healthy.  Just gotta get the right pieces together, and give them time to gel, to build it up to 45-50.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:27:38 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I am not convinced that Asik is a fit next to brow. Ideally want someone who can shoot the 15ft jumper. But at least they can be a dominant defensive pairing... without roster upgrades I'd describe them as a solid underdog for the 8 seed, given strength of the West. They could rival last year's Suns for best team ever to miss the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:52:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Eric Gordon
SF Tyreke Evans
PF Anthony Davis
C Omer Asik

Bench:
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers
Greg Steimsma
Luke Babbit
Alexs Ajinca
Jeff Withey

NO

Thabo already signed with Atlanta. Ideally, they'd be able to trade Eric Gordon for an SF and move Tyreke to his more  natural SG position but his trade value has to be really, really low. There's not a lot left on the FA market, any upgrade at the 3 will likely come via trade. I'd love to see them make a play for Thad Young and just going with a big lineup of Holiday/Evans/Young/Davis/Asik.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Thabo already signed with Atlanta.
I missed that one. Nice signing. 3 years, $12 million.

Thabo gives them a nice 1-2 punch with DeMarre Carroll as defensive stoppers on the wing.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 07:13:22 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Thabo already signed with Atlanta.
I missed that one. Nice signing. 3 years, $12 million.

Thabo gives them a nice 1-2 punch with DeMarre Carroll as defensive stoppers on the wing.

Pelicans are pretty much done as far as what they can offer... vet. minimums and I think they have the room exception left, nothing else.

They pretty much lost all buying power in order to trade for Asik (seemingly a one year rental for the time being) and losing a 1st round pick while doing so, so for their sake I hope Asik pans out and they have plans for to sign him for more years.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 07:38:39 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Love the starting lineup if they all can stay healthy..also don't like the bench too well..need some help there
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:08:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Anthony Davis is a beast.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 08:11:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
good top 6 when healthy.  rest of the team sucks.  outside chance of making the playoffs.  could really use a couple of vet mins that are actually still serviceable to solidify the bench. 

C's have plenty of role players they could send them to fill out that bench but there's noone there that I'd want back (that they'd be willing to give up)

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 08:24:55 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think they are still a year away and that's even with Davis progressing farther and possibly becoming a 25PPG, 13 RPG, 3-4 BPG, 1-2 SPG type player that I am sure he eventually does become. They need a good MLE addition next year and they need to move Gordon or Evans for a true SF or if the SF comes via free agency next season then for bench help.

Tyreke Evans and Jrue Holiday didn't coexist well together last year. Watching this team, they excelled when one of them was on the floor but when both were on the floor they both tried to initiate and run the offense and it led to some strange offense at times. Gotta define their roles much better or move one.