Author Topic: Old poster's idea to fix lottery  (Read 2049 times)

Old poster's idea to fix lottery
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:50:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Keep it a lottery

hooowwweevvverrr

with two months to go announce which bottom 14 teams will be eligible for the draft lottery which will be weighted

After the season flip a coin to decide if the order of the weight will be based on wins or losses....

meaning 50% of the time the team with the best win percentage of the bottom 14 teams in the last two months will get the best odds.....the other half of the time it will go the other way

Re: Old poster's idea to fix lottery
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Or just reward the team that flopped the least

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I resubmit my concept.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 09:19:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Because I have nothing better to do. Tell me what you think about this idea:

The actual implementation of the draft lottery itself (the amount of "ping pong balls" distributed and the way the are drawn) would work the same way, but the way we determine the slots for the lottery would.

The selection of the Lottery Slots would take place in a separate raffle. The bottom 5 teams would receive a number of "raffle tickets" equal to the amount of wins they finish with. Those raffle tickets would then be used to determine the slot for the Draft Lottery for the top 5 lottery positions. The lottery would then go as usual. We could do a separate raffle to determine Lottery Positions 6-10 as well. 

Picks that have been traded would exempt from this part of the process and fall into their natural slot.

This incentivizes competition throughout all tiers of the standings, while still guaranteeing the lower teams an advantage in the lottery.

Last year that would have amounted to this break down in "raffle tickets" to determine who received the first slot for the draft lottery:

TEAM           -       WINS   -   %
Jazz           -       25   -   23.4%
Celts           -       25   -   23.4%
Magic   -       23   -   21.5%
Sixers   -       19   -   17.8%
Bucks   -       15   -   14.0%
Yup

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Teams are currently scratching and clawing to be the worst they can be just to gain a few percentage points better odds of winning the lottery.  Most of the time the best odds lose anyhow.  Why not have them scratch and claw to better their odds by winning some games?
Yup

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:32:34 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm of the belief that something should be broke before you bother trying to fix it. 

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 09:47:26 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Keep it a lottery

hooowwweevvverrr

with two months to go announce which bottom 14 teams will be eligible for the draft lottery which will be weighted

After the season flip a coin to decide if the order of the weight will be based on wins or losses....

meaning 50% of the time the team with the best win percentage of the bottom 14 teams in the last two months will get the best odds.....the other half of the time it will go the other way
i like the basic idea of rewarding wins instead of loses. a very similar idea was to start the "most wins get the best pick" clock once the first team was eliminated mathematically from the playoffs. only those wins after the elimination count. as each team is eliminated, its "win clock" starts.

at the end of the season, the team with the most non-playoff wins, gets the first pick and so on.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I'm of the belief that something should be broke before you bother trying to fix it.

You don't think the tanking is out of control?
Yup

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

You don't think the tanking is out of control?

I think the use of the term tanking is out of control; the only team that's really flouting the rules is Philly.  Other teams are just rebuilding as teams have done for a long time - there's maybe a greater tendency to prefer future assets now, but the league can't really point fingers since they scuttled the first Chris Paul trade to do exactly that.

I do support flattening the odds in the lottery, but that's just because I dislike the weighting on the current system, not because of how teams are behaving now.