Author Topic: Lester getting traded to Orioles  (Read 6768 times)

Lester getting traded to Orioles
« on: July 30, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Boston Globe reporting. Please post here what we are actually getting back if you know. It better be a haul. Then we can sign Lester back when Baltimore can't afford him.

Re: Lester getting traded to Orioles
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I dont think lester is coming back. Especially if the orioles give him a max deal

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
They're trading him to a division rival? I hope he doesn't re-up with Baltimore in the offseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Dylan Bundy or Kevin Gausman only 1 can assume.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Okay, I know that this is probably going to lose me a lot of points with people on here, but as a huge Yankees fans, whose friends are predominantly Red Sox fans (and yes, I prefer Fenway to the old Yankee Stadium.  I haven't been to the new one because tickets are sooooo expensive, plus the rampant steroid use pretty much ruined the sport for me.), I have to ask - why are the Red Sox always so cheap?  They couldn't resign Lester?  Don't they know how great he is?  It's hard to find guys like that, no matter how good your farm system is.  I'm not saying to buy your players like the Yankees do (it makes me sick, quite honestly), but they couldn't at least come back with a better offer?  I mean, if you're going to trade the guy, why make a deal with a team in your own division.  I'm with you, rocknrollforyoursoul, I thought such a transaction was pretty much considered a cardinal sin in every sports.  Man, it seems like all of the Boston sports franchises are historically, and notoriously, cheap.  I don't understand why, though, but either way, it's both disappointing and weird.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Okay, I know that this is probably going to lose me a lot of points with people on here, but as a huge Yankees fans, whose friends are predominantly Red Sox fans (and yes, I prefer Fenway to the old Yankee Stadium.  I haven't been to the new one because tickets are sooooo expensive, plus the rampant steroid use pretty much ruined the sport for me.), I have to ask - why are the Red Sox always so cheap?  They couldn't resign Lester?  Don't they know how great he is?  It's hard to find guys like that, no matter how good your farm system is.  I'm not saying to buy your players like the Yankees do (it makes me sick, quite honestly), but they couldn't at least come back with a better offer?  I mean, if you're going to trade the guy, why make a deal with a team in your own division.  I'm with you, rocknrollforyoursoul, I thought such a transaction was pretty much considered a cardinal sin in every sports.  Man, it seems like all of the Boston sports franchises are historically, and notoriously, cheap.  I don't understand why, though, but either way, it's both disappointing and weird.

Something to do with not wanting to give him that much money cause of his age. He is 30 and he will decline and or revert back to what he was before last years all-star break.

This is just what I hear.. not a fan of the sox or the sport.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Something to do with not wanting to give him that much money cause of his age. He is 30 and he will decline and or revert back to what he was before last years all-star break.

This is just what I hear.. not a fan of the sox or the sport.

I think you're right. You don't want to give a 4-year (or longer) deal to a 30-year-old.

Also, Lester has said he'd be willing to take a discount to stay in Boston (though his idea of "discount" may be far different from the team's), and I wonder if he's backed off that idea.

Also, the Sox got snakebit big-time with the big contracts they doled out to Beckett, Crawford, and Adrian Gonzalez and are trying to avoid making such mistakes again. IF you're going to give out a big contract, it's safer to do so with a player who's in his early to mid-20s.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I think ever since the Beckett, Crawford, and Gonzalez trade the Red Sox have cold feet dishing out high money long term deals even to someone as reliable as Lester.  I really hope he stays here long term sort of like the Andy Pettite for our team, but it's not looking likely.  I don't think the Sox are being cheap they are just taking a different approach looking for short term deals that don't involve their young players. 

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I think ever since the Beckett, Crawford, and Gonzalez trade the Red Sox have cold feet dishing out high money long term deals even to someone as reliable as Lester.  I really hope he stays here long term sort of like the Andy Pettite for our team, but it's not looking likely.  I don't think the Sox are being cheap they are just taking a different approach looking for short term deals that don't involve their young players.

While I understand your point, I think it's important to point out that none of those guys are like Lester or Pedroia.  The guys that come from Boston's farm system don't seem to have any of those attitude problems, as in the case of Josh Beckett, or the inability to play in Boston (Crawford), and I don't remember what the deal was with Gonzalez, but my point here is that Lester is a high character, big game performer, whose been through so much over the course of his career, and, to me at least, I'd like to see guys like him stay in Boston.  Just because those deals in the past didn't work out doesn't mean that one for Lester will end the same way.  Each guy is different, and I would have thought that Boston's front office could make that distinction.  Lester shouldn't be punished because of the past mistakes of guys in the front office, some of whom aren't even there anymore (Theo).