Author Topic: New Poster's Idea To Fix Lottery/Tanking  (Read 6516 times)

Re: New Poster's Idea To Fix Lottery/Tanking
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think lottery hurts rebuilding in general. Teams don't tank unless they feel they can not win or compete. By giving a middle of a pack team a shot at top picks you only hurt the poor teams that are worse than them.

That's the whole point of the lottery: punish tanking by decreasing the value of being a bad team.  Even if you make it so that tanking is not a good idea, teams are still going to try.

That is why it shouldn't be around is what I say. It doesn't work and we can all agree teams are still tanking.

You can't stop teams from tanking.  You can only make it so that tanking is a bad strategy.

My idea would be to tweak the revenue sharing formula to reward teams that do well with limited resources.  Make tanking cost teams some actual money.

That is pretty hardcore because tanking teams already lose $ by losing attendance.

Re: New Poster's Idea To Fix Lottery/Tanking
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think lottery hurts rebuilding in general. Teams don't tank unless they feel they can not win or compete. By giving a middle of a pack team a shot at top picks you only hurt the poor teams that are worse than them.

That's the whole point of the lottery: punish tanking by decreasing the value of being a bad team.  Even if you make it so that tanking is not a good idea, teams are still going to try.

That is why it shouldn't be around is what I say. It doesn't work and we can all agree teams are still tanking.

You can't stop teams from tanking.  You can only make it so that tanking is a bad strategy.

My idea would be to tweak the revenue sharing formula to reward teams that do well with limited resources.  Make tanking cost teams some actual money.

That is pretty hardcore because tanking teams already lose $ by losing attendance.

Made up for, in part, because of the revenue sharing the NBA provides. Plus, they make money in other team's road games.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.