Author Topic: 76ers fighting NBAs lottery changes  (Read 24302 times)

Re: 76ers fighting NBAs lottery changes
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
The 6ers are starting to p--- me off

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2014, 10:38:25 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
While I don't necessarily object to the actual rule changes proposed, for defining how the lottery odds should work, I'm inclined to think that any such changes have to be introduced gradually and should not be introduced all of a sudden.

The reason is that these changes would alter the value of future draft picks that have been traded between teams.

For example, suppose Team A held the unprotected 2015 pick of Team B, who looked very likely to be one of the worst teams in the NBA next year.   These sort of rules would totally warp the value of that pick.

If they are determined to make these sorts of changes to the lottery odds, they should be planned well ahead of time so that they can be factored into valuations.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think the 76ers may have messed up.

They picked an other injury riddled center, when they could have gone with Exum,Smart,Gordon,Randle. They could have tanked again and gotten a healthy big man in next years draft.

But now they have one PF and two centers going into a draft heavy with Bigs. I could see teams lowballing them when they want to make a move to free up who they want to keep.

I get taking Embiid because he was the best prospect. But some times you have to go what going to be the best for the team future. Because what happens if both Noel and Embiid can't stay on the floor. When you have one risk, you really should take an other at the same position when you could get a healthy one next draft.

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
The 76ers, sources said, are hoping to get the NBA to delay plans for at least a year because it acts as a de facto punishment while just playing by the rules that have been in place.

That's a pretty good point in favor of the 76ers, IMO.

The other 29 teams are playing by the rules that have been in place as well. I don't think that claiming the league should delay attempts to prevent tanking because a team isn't trying to put a competitive team on the court and they want a high draft pick will fly. That's kind of like arguing for a delay in increasing the penalty for stealing because you'd planned to rob the liquor store to cover your electric bill.

Tanking for better odds of a high pick is allowed in the NBA.  Robbing the liquor store is not allowed...

If tanking's allowed then an owner could tell the press his team deliberately lost games down the stretch to improve their draft position without fear of punishment from the league. I doubt that's the case.

You would agree, I assume, that 'tanking' has occurred in the NBA?  Everyone knows it, the league accepts it (as long as you don't come out in public and say that you're 'tanking') and it is surely the best, if not the only, way to rebuild quickly, or maybe at all. 

On the other hand, if you walk into a liquor store, point a gun at the cashier and demand money, the police and district attorney are not going to look the other way.  If you are apprehended, and they will attempt to identify and locate you, you will be charged with a crime.

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2014, 10:49:46 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
While I don't necessarily object to the actual rule changes proposed, for defining how the lottery odds should work, I'm inclined to think that any such changes have to be introduced gradually and should not be introduced all of a sudden.

The reason is that these changes would alter the value of future draft picks that have been traded between teams.

For example, suppose Team A held the unprotected 2015 pick of Team B, who looked very likely to be one of the worst teams in the NBA next year.   These sort of rules would totally warp the value of that pick.

If they are determined to make these sorts of changes to the lottery odds, they should be planned well ahead of time so that they can be factored into valuations.

Spot on, 5M.  Thanks for the post. 

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

When Orlando won the 1993 lottery as the best non-playoff team, it took them about four months to re-weight the odds.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Well, of course they are.

People who think the system doesn't need to be changed are kidding themselves about how some teams obviously operate, or else just don't care that there are 10-15 teams in any given season who enter the year with no hope of doing anything of consequence, and at least a handful who actively punt the season in a calculated way. 

And every now and then you get teams like the Sixers who try to take it to a total extreme.  The actions of the Sixers reflect badly on the entire league. 

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
all those that claim the lottery is not fixed, can you explain how Cleveland won the lottery 2 years out of four that the King was gone?

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
all those that claim the lottery is not fixed, can you explain how Cleveland won the lottery 2 years out of four that the King was gone?

One of the numerical combinations assigned to them was drawn first hth.

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2014, 12:34:56 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I mean, the only way to get rid of tanking is to give all the lottery teams equal odds, but that introduces an absurd degree of unfairness to the process, which is worse. So...a Western team like Phoenix deserves to get the #1 pick as much as the wretched Bucks, who tried this season, but were simply garbage? Really? That's not a way to improve bad teams at all. I think the unfairness is far worse than tanking because it is too random. Also, as many have mentioned, there could be ways to limit tanking w/o implementing a lottery - you can't get a top 3 pick 2 years in a row, etc. I still think the best way is to just base it on record. Its not like all garbage teams tank. Some are just bad, and you punish them by letting teams like the Cavs, run worse than Crazy Eddie's stores in the 1980s, keep getting top picks over them.

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2014, 12:41:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The 76ers, sources said, are hoping to get the NBA to delay plans for at least a year because it acts as a de facto punishment while just playing by the rules that have been in place.

The other 29 teams are playing by the rules that have been in place as well. I don't think that claiming the league should delay attempts to prevent tanking because a team isn't trying to put a competitive team on the court and they want a high draft pick will fly. That's kind of like arguing for a delay in increasing the penalty for stealing because you'd planned to rob the liquor store to cover your electric bill.

Tanking for better odds of a high pick is allowed in the NBA.  Robbing the liquor store is not allowed...

If tanking's allowed then an owner could tell the press his team deliberately lost games down the stretch to improve their draft position without fear of punishment from the league. I doubt that's the case.

You would agree, I assume, that 'tanking' has occurred in the NBA?  Everyone knows it, the league accepts it (as long as you don't come out in public and say that you're 'tanking') and it is surely the best, if not the only, way to rebuild quickly, or maybe at all. 

On the other hand, if you walk into a liquor store, point a gun at the cashier and demand money, the police and district attorney are not going to look the other way.  If you are apprehended, and they will attempt to identify and locate you, you will be charged with a crime.

While this is a fairly pointless discussion, all you're basically saying is that if you're caught red-handed doing one thing you're in trouble, but if they don't have proof you did something else you get away with it. Obviously the fact that it's hard to prove something doesn't mean it's "allowed" to happen. That's like saying you're allowed to cheat on your taxes or commit perjury, since both of those things happen on a regular basis without punishment.

« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:24 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

While this is a fairly pointless discussion, all you're basically saying is that if you're caught red-handed doing one thing you're in trouble, but if they don't have proof you did something else you get away with it. Obviously the fact that it's hard to prove something doesn't mean it's "allowed" to happen. That's like saying you're allowed to cheat on your taxes or commit perjury, since both of those things happen on a regular basis without punishment.

What I am 'basically saying' is that your original comparison of tanking in the NBA to robbing a liquour store is terribly flawed. 

The NBA front office knows that franchises are tanking but does not attempt to sanction such teams.  When the appropriate government agencies are aware of tax cheating or commission of perjury, criminal prosecutions often follow.  The NBA cannot 'prove' tanking, but in some (most) instances, the IRS, etc. is able to 'prove' a violation or criminal misconduct.  For that reason alone, your analogy left much to be desired...

« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2014, 01:45:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
And every now and then you get teams like the Sixers who try to take it to a total extreme.  The actions of the Sixers reflect badly on the entire league.
Its not just reflects badly on the league, but the league as a whole is unhappy with the 76ers because of how much money they're losing because of this. Their direct revenue has dipped a lot because of their approach to rebuilding their team.

« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Its not just reflects badly on the league, but the league as a whole is unhappy with the 76ers because of how much money they're losing because of this. Their direct revenue has dipped a lot because of their approach to rebuilding their team.
And yet a number of people think it was the right thing for Philadelphia to do given their situation at the time. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

lol its worse. They won 3 lotteries since Lebron.