Author Topic: 76ers fighting NBAs lottery changes  (Read 24428 times)

Re: 76ers fighting NBAs lottery changes
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
All they have to do is add rules about HOW often you can pick from the top FiVE......

I hate this idea.  Making it possible for teams with a record such as Cleveland's to jump ahead of significantly worse teams in the draft order is how you make the idea of tanking less valuable.  Is anyone claiming that the Cavs tanked to get a better shot at the #1 pick?

I just think that if you won the lotto, you are not allowed to be in the top 3 the next 5 years

I think this sentiment is mostly just whining about the Cavs, as if fate somehow robbed the Celtics, when Cleveland winning this year is arguably how the lottery should work.

I admit, a part of it IS because of the Cavs, another part is...I just hate tanking. It sucks for fans watching their team sucks on purpose for a few years. I like to see gradual improvement and not major suckage every year. Or even 3-4 years at that. Being the laughing stock of the league is not fun. I rather see GMs construct a team to suck for ONE year for a pick, then actively and aggressively trying to improve the roster by making trades and signing FA

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The 76ers, sources said, are hoping to get the NBA to delay plans for at least a year because it acts as a de facto punishment while just playing by the rules that have been in place.

That's a pretty good point in favor of the 76ers, IMO.

The other 29 teams are playing by the rules that have been in place as well. I don't think that claiming the league should delay attempts to prevent tanking because a team isn't trying to put a competitive team on the court and they want a high draft pick will fly. That's kind of like arguing for a delay in increasing the penalty for stealing because you'd planned to rob the liquor store to cover your electric bill.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »

Online Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Does it matter? If Minnesota trades Love to Cleveland, then expect Minnesota to win the lottery once or twice over the next couple of years.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I rather see GMs construct a team to suck for ONE year for a pick, then actively and aggressively trying to improve the roster by making trades and signing FA

I'd rather see GMs never construct a team to suck specifically for a pick.  I can accept teams constructing a team that sucks as a secondary effect of clearing out bad contracts or letting young players develop, but if you're going to tank for picks, I want the odds to make it so that you will have to be miserable for several years and wreck your fan base if you want to plan to suck for as long as you need to get a #1 pick.

You can adjust the rules so that tanking is a bad idea.  You can't adjust the rules so that GMs don't pursue bad ideas.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I rather see GMs construct a team to suck for ONE year for a pick, then actively and aggressively trying to improve the roster by making trades and signing FA

I'd rather see GMs never construct a team to suck specifically for a pick.  I can accept teams constructing a team that sucks as a secondary effect of clearing out bad contracts or letting young players develop, but if you're going to tank for picks, I want the odds to make it so that you will have to be miserable for several years and wreck your fan base if you want to plan to suck for as long as you need to get a #1 pick.

You can adjust the rules so that tanking is a bad idea.  You can't adjust the rules so that GMs don't pursue bad ideas.
And yet Philadelphia is probably better positioned to win a title in the next 5 years than Boston is.  Philadelphia has the reigning rookie of the year, a top contender for rookie of the year this year in Noel, a top contender for rookie of the year next year in Embiid, a top contender for rookie of the year two years from now in Saric, some solid other young players like Wroten and Moultrie, and 30 million in cap space with the only "bad" contract being the easily movable Thad Young.  Philly will have another very high pick next year as well to add another potential rookie of the year candidate. 

Philly is much better positioned to win and win big than Boston is and it isn't close.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Agree the lottery has worked for Philly, why would they want it to change.

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

And yet Philadelphia is probably better positioned to win a title in the next 5 years than Boston is.  Philadelphia has the reigning rookie of the year, a top contender for rookie of the year this year in Noel, a top contender for rookie of the year next year in Embiid, a top contender for rookie of the year two years from now in Saric, some solid other young players like Wroten and Moultrie, and 30 million in cap space with the only "bad" contract being the easily movable Thad Young.  Philly will have another very high pick next year as well to add another potential rookie of the year candidate. 

Philly is much better positioned to win and win big than Boston is and it isn't close.

The Celtics will win another title before the 76ers do.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Phiily's in a much better position to suck for the next 5 years than to contend for a title. They have last year's ROY (who they were supposedly shopping because they felt he was a "big numbers on a bad team" type of player) and a whole lot of maybes. The Celts have an all-star level player on their roster who's proven to be a top performer in the playoffs and the 76ers don't. That in and of itself makes the Celts at least as likely to win a title in the next 5 years as the 76ers.

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Agreed, youth isn't the only thing that matters in a rebuild.

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Haha, go ahead keep telling yourself that.

Philly has arguably the worst reigning ROY in NBA history; take away Rondo, Green, Sullinger, and Bradley then maybe it's close.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Agreed, youth isn't the only thing that matters in a rebuild.

amen, if we are sticking with Rondo, we already have Finals vet, 4x all-star along for the ride...even if we don't we have a better GM

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

All of the TP's for you, Mr. Gilbert.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The 76ers, sources said, are hoping to get the NBA to delay plans for at least a year because it acts as a de facto punishment while just playing by the rules that have been in place.

That's a pretty good point in favor of the 76ers, IMO.

The other 29 teams are playing by the rules that have been in place as well. I don't think that claiming the league should delay attempts to prevent tanking because a team isn't trying to put a competitive team on the court and they want a high draft pick will fly. That's kind of like arguing for a delay in increasing the penalty for stealing because you'd planned to rob the liquor store to cover your electric bill.

TP. Right on.

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
All the NBA needs to do is reverse the lottery.  The team with the worst record should get the worst chance of winning the lottery.  The lottery team with the best record should get the best chance.  This will make every team in the league try to win every game.  The league as a whole will become more competitive making it a much better product for the fans.

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The best solution is to create a panel of experts who will determine the draft order based on which teams deserve high picks the most and which teams should be punished with late picks.