Author Topic: Waiters: I want to start (Trade him to us for the 3-way deal), thread.  (Read 7928 times)

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Waiters is a glorified sixth man.

Celtics don't need him right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
How many 2s do we already have? Bradley, Smart, Young, Thornton. If we move Young to the three and Smart plays PG backup, that leaves Bradley and Thornton.  The three position already has Uncle Jeff and Wallace. Best option for Waiters is for him to play the 5 hehehe

How many quality 2's do we have right now? Bradley at most.. So many on this board are moaning and complaing how many 2's the Celtics have... Is this a a contending team? no!!! This team needs the best payers they can get at a good price (trade value and contract)... dont be sooo naive

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

He also would have been the best scorer on the Celtics last year.  Something Boston desperately needs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Seikaly

I do not consider him good but merely adequate.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:29:05 PM by Celtics4ever »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
How much difference is there between Dion Waiters and MarShon Brooks?  Their defense certainly seems close to the same.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Waiters' attitude disgusts me. If he feels that way in Cleveland, playing with Kyrie - obviously the heir apparent, he will feel that way anywhere. Perhaps he has some talent. But no talent is enough to justify his atrocious attitude.

I hope we do not acquire him. I do not want to watch him play.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
How much difference is there between Dion Waiters and MarShon Brooks?  Their defense certainly seems close to the same.
Waiters is significantly better than Brooks.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

He also would have been the best scorer on the Celtics last year.  Something Boston desperately needs.

Volume scoring gunners aren't terribly difficult to find.   They're also not terribly important to a team trying to rebuild. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
why trade for him?  we have 3 other players that could play SG better than him already on the roster - AB, Thornton and Turner

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
why trade for him?  we have 3 other players that could play SG better than him already on the roster - AB, Thornton and Turner

I don't love AB's cap hold - but he is a great player to watch; and I am glad he is sticking around. ...AB is a perfect study in contrast to Waiters. Polite kid who waits until he gets his chance, makes the most of it with incredible defense; works on his game every year, and works with the star PG to develop some chemistry (BACK CUT). Waiters fights with his PG, and claims he is entitled to start. No thanks. I would take Avery 100/100 times.

There will always be Jordan Crawfords, Jamal Crawfords, Nate Robinsons, Dana Barroses, and the like who can come in and fill out the stat sheet (Not that those guys have attitudes anywhere near as bad as Waiters'). He is probably one of the most replaceable kinds of players in the league.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Waiters is significantly better than Brooks.

How so?

Do you deny my comparison of their defense as basically equivalent, partly due to a similar lack of effort?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Is funny how the people who spend the most time on here posting know absolutely nothing about basketball.. Those tommy points must make your day!!

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

His scoring last year was roughly on the order of Bradley's.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Syracuse not named Coleman or Anthony have not been good pros.   Pass.  Gimmick System.

And Seikaly

And Dave Bing (pre-Boeheim as coach, to be fair).  And MCW so far.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
    “I want to start and I believe that I should at the two,” Waiters said.

During Summer League, Wiggins, if retained, says he views himself as a shooting guard rather than a three, which is a smart thing to say considering the position that new guy plays. So, if the roster currently constructed is the roster three months from now, Wiggins and Waiters will be battling it out.

“I just say how I feel,” he said. “I’m going to do whatever is best for the team, of course, but at the end of the day, I’m a man and I’m confident in myself. I’ve always been a guy that gives it right to you. I’ve never been a guy that plays that political stuff. I was brought up that way. I’m straightforward. I give my honest opinion. I’m not going to sit here and hide. They asked a question and I tell you.”

Cool. So in 30-60 days, a disgruntled Waiters will demand a trade.

So now in the 3-way trade, Ainge will offer Bogans who is the highest UN-guaranteed contract, and maybe send a pick, and a second rounder for Waiters.

Does anyone want him, or do people think his truthful and blunt honesty is another clear example of his 'attitude?'

I think Waiters can become a star in the making. He just needs a vote of confidence, and someone that believes in him, and is willing to work with him.

Our back court may be stuffed, but I would love to see Waiters on our team. Especially if Ainge can find a player to take on Marcus Thorntorn, and someone else.
Oh goodie, that's precisely what we need -- a roleplayer who doesn't know his role.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."