Poll

Will Sully improve on his 3's next season?

Yes
30 (81.1%)
No
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Will Sully become less or more efficient at shooting 3's?  (Read 8550 times)

Re: Will Sully become less or more efficient at shooting 3's?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
His 3pt attempts brought back the nightmares of Big Baby jacking up three's instead of using his big body down low. However he does have a decent shot (when looking just at 2pt shots) and we do need spacing and deep threats. He'll improve

I'm not sure that Sullinger taking threes is on par with what Big Baby did at times.  Those plays just showed how much of a moron Davis is, especially because he would always take them at the worst possible times, as if there was nothing upstairs, and I don't really think that there is, quite honestly, with all of his boneheaded moves on and off the court over the course of his career.  Baby's strength was the midrange game.  He had no business at all taking a three, ever lol.  With Sullinger, at least he can make them at some level of consistency, but I agree with slamtheking - once or twice a game should be the max.  He needs to use his size where it belongs - inside.  Every time he takes a three, he's bailing the defense out, imo.  He should only take that shot if he has to, imo.

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's amusing how Steph Curry can shoot with ease from halfcourt but Big Baby and Sullinger look like they are struggling to reach the rim from the 3 point line.

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm not sure why so many people are against Sully expanding his range. He's gonna have to to maximize his potential. He's a talented post scorer, yes, but he struggles against long and athletic defenders. He's going to have tomix his game up.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'm not sure why so many people are against Sully expanding his range. He's gonna have to to maximize his potential. He's a talented post scorer, yes, but he struggles against long and athletic defenders. He's going to have tomix his game up

He can't shoot it presently.   I think he would be better served at this point to work on conditioning.   Right now, he is an elite eater.

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm not sure why so many people are against Sully expanding his range. He's gonna have to to maximize his potential. He's a talented post scorer, yes, but he struggles against long and athletic defenders. He's going to have tomix his game up

He can't shoot it presently.   I think he would be better served at this point to work on conditioning.   Right now, he is an elite eater.

Why can't he do both?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Sully has Antoine 2.0 written all over him. the fact that the C's are encouraging him to take more 3's in a game is even worse.

Please don't promote Sully to turn the ball over 5-6 times a game, brick FT's at an alarming rate, AND jack bricks or air from "Fours". LOL!

If you wanted to promote Sully improve on some other traits from Toine, like improving some passing, improving leadership & teammate comaraderie....then by all means, go for it!

Yeah, it would be a total bummer if he made three all-star games, averaged well over 20 ppg as a Celtic, and was the undisputed leader of a consistent playoff team.   ::)

I am psyched that we had such a great run with Pierce, KG, Rondo, and even Ray, but it drives me crazy that people are so unappreciative of the only real fun time to be a Celtic fan in a 17-18 year span.

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 02:13:48 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'm not sure why so many people are against Sully expanding his range. He's gonna have to to maximize his potential. He's a talented post scorer, yes, but he struggles against long and athletic defenders. He's going to have tomix his game up.

I don't think anyone is strictly against him expanding his range. Of course that's always a positive.  But if the rest of his game stays the same, and all he improves is his perimeter shot, would you really be happy about that? Would that help us win more games, or even maximize his potential? If he were slightly below average from the 3pt line would he be that much better?

How about if he became an excellent passer from the blocks? What if he added a fewest moves that helped him score an extra basket or two down low? What if he was able to average a couple extra rebounds a game? I think any of those would be way more helpful to the team and toward reaching his potential.

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2014, 03:22:05 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I'm starting to think the sully bandwagon is heading no where. This kid from all I've seen hasn't improved his weight at all. He has a real chance to be special but I don't see the dedication to greatness with his weight issues.

Giving up on him already? Sad.

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:11 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I'm starting to think the sully bandwagon is heading no where. This kid from all I've seen hasn't improved his weight at all. He has a real chance to be special but I don't see the dedication to greatness with his weight issues.

Not giving up.....just amazed it is hard hard for some one with youth and incentive to be rich and famous for years to come ...do so little to maximize his ability .

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2014, 07:55:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Sully is one giving up if he doesn't come in camp in shape.

Extra weight is not good athletically, and makes one more prone to injury and overuse injuries.
Sad to see a guy make it to the bigtime and coast.   We seen it in AW and now Sully.

Why can't he do both?

Because he is a horrible long range shooter and he shot 28% from that range.  He is not a good shooter out there at all.   He is our best rebounder and when he shoots the three that goes to pot.   You do not see Carlos Boozer shooting them or Humph.   They know what they are good at.  He should be shooting them now in the summer rather than in season if he is trying to expand his range.   

I think him shooting is a direct reflection on his poor conditioning.   It is a lazy man's shot for a big.  You don't  have to run as far down the court because your running from foul line extended  instead of the baseline.   You also do not have to exert the energy of posting up.

The kid has many talents.  But long range is one he has yet to exhibit.

How about if he became an excellent passer from the blocks? What if he added a fewest moves that helped him score an extra basket or two down low? What if he was able to average a couple extra rebounds a game? I think any of those would be way more helpful to the team and toward reaching his potential

I get your gist and agree with 90% of it.   But I,for one, think he is already a good passer.  I think this is one area he is strong in folks.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:20:26 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Extra weight is not good athletically, and makes one more prone to injury and overuse injuries.
Sad to see a guy make it to the bigtime and coast.   We seen it in AW and now Sully.

Why can't he do both?

Because he is a horrible long range shooter and he shot 28% from that range.  He is not a good shooter out there at all.   He is our best rebounder and when he shoots the three that goes to pot.   You do not see Carlos Boozer shooting them or Humph.   They know what they are good at.  He should be shooting them now in the summer rather than in season if he is trying to expand his range.   

I think him shooting is a direct reflection on his poor conditioning.   It is a lazy man's shot for a big.  You don't  have to run as far down the court because your running from foul line extended  instead of the baseline.   You also do not have to exert the energy of posting up.

How about if he became an excellent passer from the blocks? What if he added a fewest moves that helped him score an extra basket or two down low? What if he was able to average a couple extra rebounds a game? I think any of those would be way more helpful to the team and toward reaching his potential

I get your gist and agree with 90% of it.   But I,for one, think he is already a good passer.  I think this is one area he is strong in folks.

end of thread imo. and just add to what you said i'll reiterate what I said previously that the worst thing about this is we're encouraging Sully to take more 3's. the way I see it, we may as well just pump chocolate cake into his veins intravenously while we're at it.

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Why can't he do both?

end of thread imo. and just add to what you said i'll reiterate what I said previously that the worst thing about this is we're encouraging Sully to take more 3's. the way I see it, we may as well just pump chocolate cake into his veins intravenously while we're at it.

First off no it's not the end of the thread and why can't he shoot threes he won't dominate inside consistently why can't he expand his range he's NOT walker and I feel he has the work ethic to pick and choose his spots have patience with him

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 06:46:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Here's an interesting thought experiment: Will Antoine Walker have been a better player than Jared Sullinger when it's all said and done?

Obviously its too far in the future to say one way or the other, but here's how they stacked up in their sophomore seasons.
http://bkref.com/tiny/Lw6VX

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
well, what do you mean by not dominate inside? because I think rebounding is his greatest strength...definitely not taking 3's. i'd much rather see him take more 17 footers, where he might actually get an offensive rebound, which again is something he's good at. where as if he's out on the 3 pt. line he has no chance at a board.

it was one thing with Antoine where nobody dared challenge him to stay down low as he & pierce had free reign to do whatever they wanted. but this coaching staff is actually encouraging Sully to do something he's not good at.   

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2014, 07:04:50 PM »

Offline JamesYoungforTHREEEEEEEE

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Here's an interesting thought experiment: Will Antoine Walker have been a better player than Jared Sullinger when it's all said and done?

Obviously its too far in the future to say one way or the other, but here's how they stacked up in their sophomore seasons.
http://bkref.com/tiny/Lw6VX

I believe that Sullinger and Walker are two totally different types of players. Antione Walker in my opinion was a ball hog, albeit he need to be during those years. Sullinger on the other hand actually has the potential to becoming a 3rd or 4th option on a solid playoff caliber team. Sullinger does many of the little things that allow players to be successful. If you look at their per 48 numbers they're pretty similar except Sully has a better win shares. If Sullinger is able undertake a similar transformation that Kevin Love undertook I think it would be a great advantage to his overall skill set and the future of the Boston Celtics.