Poll

Will Sully improve on his 3's next season?

Yes
30 (81.1%)
No
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Will Sully become less or more efficient at shooting 3's?  (Read 8558 times)

Re: Will Sully become less or more efficient at shooting 3's?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I still wish Sully was working hard on his developing his midrange and long two point jump-shooting instead of his three point shooting. More like a David West. Develop those shots first before drifting out to three point line. A PF needs to be able to hit jump-shots but he does not need to be hitting three pointers. Develop the shots he needs first. Then move onto bonus area shots.

I think Sully will do better with the 3 this year simply because he cannot do much worse than he did last season -- 26.9% 3FG% with about a quarter of his total shot attempts from 3 point range - awful. Way too many shots from there for such a low shooting percentage.

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think he will end up a much better shooter than he was last year. He has good mechanics, but his shot can sometimes be a little flat, which to me is more about conditioning than anything. I expect him to come into camp in slightly better shape which should improve his shooting.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 09:36:37 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One assumes that he won't be battling a hand injury this year. Improves.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 09:46:15 AM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I still wish Sully was working hard on his developing his midrange and long two point jump-shooting instead of his three point shooting. More like a David West. Develop those shots first before drifting out to three point line. A PF needs to be able to hit jump-shots but he does not need to be hitting three pointers. Develop the shots he needs first. Then move onto bonus area shots.

I think Sully will do better with the 3 this year simply because he cannot do much worse than he did last season -- 26.9% 3FG% with about a quarter of his total shot attempts from 3 point range - awful. Way too many shots from there for such a low shooting percentage.

I am fine with him working to improve his 3pt shot, so long as he he also works to improve his midrange and long two game and his conditioning.

I don't see how he would no improve either from a 26% 3pt shot. But if he can be somewhere in the 35% range from the three and over 40% mid range, without taking more than 2 or 3 open threes a game, I would be happy. I don't want him to try to become a sharpshooter, I want him to be a banger on the inside with enough range to keep defenses on their toes. I think that is the future of his game.

And from what I have gleaned online about his conditioning training this summer, I would not be surprised to see him in far better shape when preseason starts. The beach workouts that he was doing are insanely exhausting, and his upper body actually looks stronger from that tournament footage earlier this summer.

He will be interesting to watch come training camp to say the least.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Right now he's an expert at eating hamburger sliders ....3 at a time .

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 10:37:04 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Can't imagine he'd be worse. Last year was his first time really experimenting with the in game NBA 3.

Given his lack of height, he ought to add the long range ball to his game to keep his man guessing. Use that to complement the bullish skills underneath.

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
As Celtics4ever just said, the time to work on 3's is now, not during the season.  Working on developing a shot during the games is asinine.
The time to work on his three is, well, never. Now is the time to work on this three-hundred pound frame.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 11:19:01 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
His 3pt attempts brought back the nightmares of Big Baby jacking up three's instead of using his big body down low. However he does have a decent shot (when looking just at 2pt shots) and we do need spacing and deep threats. He'll improve
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he can shoot the midrange already.   His mechanics are not compromised until he gets out there.   But I do wish he would play inside.

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd prefer him to be smarter about when he takes those 3's.  1 or 2 a game is fine to keep the defenders honest but his best work is from the FT line and closer

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Sully has Antoine 2.0 written all over him. the fact that the C's are encouraging him to take more 3's in a game is even worse.

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Sully has Antoine 2.0 written all over him. the fact that the C's are encouraging him to take more 3's in a game is even worse.

Please don't promote Sully to turn the ball over 5-6 times a game, brick FT's at an alarming rate, AND jack bricks or air from "Fours". LOL!

If you wanted to promote Sully improve on some other traits from Toine, like improving some passing, improving leadership & teammate comaraderie....then by all means, go for it!

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I'm starting to think the sully bandwagon is heading no where. This kid from all I've seen hasn't improved his weight at all. He has a real chance to be special but I don't see the dedication to greatness with his weight issues.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'm starting to think the sully bandwagon is heading no where. This kid from all I've seen hasn't improved his weight at all. He has a real chance to be special but I don't see the dedication to greatness with his weight issues.

+1   Agree

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

True. I think he either needs to embrace his weight (and use it to battle down low) or lose some and then add some perimeter play. He seems to be mixing two parts that don't go together.