Poll

Will Sully improve on his 3's next season?

Yes
30 (81.1%)
No
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Will Sully become less or more efficient at shooting 3's?  (Read 8581 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think Sully will start to improve on his 3's, I really liked how his form looked. While he didn't make a lot, I think he just needs more time. Unfortunately, I would love Sully to work on his conditioning and lose some pounds. But either way, I think if he can improve his ability to shoot the 3's, it'll add wonders to his game.

Now that we didn't get Kevin Love, I would love to see how KO/Sully perform. I think Sully can still become a Kevin Love lite if he can work on toning his body. He needs a huge improvement.

If Sully misses a lot of 3's, or starts shooting them badly, do you tell him to stop? And would you like to see him shooting more?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Will Sully become less or more efficient at shooting 3's?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19:04 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'd much prefer him keeping closer to the basket, setting low screens and boxing out for rebounds. His vision and sense for the basket down low are key areas that he can develop to set him apart from his peers. As much as we need perimeter shooting,I think it should come from the backcourt, not our bigs.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:20:24 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Both Coach Stevens and Sullinger mentioned last year that they wanted Sullinger putting up threes. He was basically using the year to practice at them. He will show a very big leap this year. I fully expect Sullinger to put up 18/11 quite efficiently and everyone will be saying "Kevin Who?".

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:24:06 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'd much prefer him keeping closer to the basket, setting low screens and boxing out for rebounds. His vision and sense for the basket down low are key areas that he can develop to set him apart from his peers. As much as we need perimeter shooting,I think it should come from the backcourt, not our bigs.

I agree. I would like him closer to the basket, but I also want him using his ability to stretch the floor. I think if Sully can still retain his rebounding ability, while being able to make a few 3's will expand and also keep his game healthier.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:27:54 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
With Rondo, Bradley, Smart & Young, I think it's a big plus if he can develop that shot.  He can't be clogging the lane if all of our guards have slashing/driving offensive games.

/Also, I love that our backcourt sounds like a classic rock band

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:51:41 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Well said, TP.  It's nice that he can make that shot, but he should work on his post game.  Every time he takes a deep shot his defender gets to relax, and it also doesn't put him in a position to get an offensive rebound, at which he's so adept, what with those 'mitts' of his ;D

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:00:46 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
As much as we need perimeter shooting,I think it should come from the backcourt, not our bigs.

You need at least one big to provide perimeter shooting.  More so with Rondo as your PG.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:03:31 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I'm hoping that Sully can become Duckworth 2.0
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:25:40 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I hope Sullinger plays power forward like more of a traditional power forward.  Let KO be our stretch 4.  Let him jack up a few during garbage time.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:27:13 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I hope Sullinger plays power forward like more of a traditional power forward.  Let KO be our stretch 4.  Let him jack up a few during garbage time.

Then I hope Olynyk wins the starting PF job.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 02:41:53 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm hoping that Sully can become Duckworth 2.0

TP for the comparison.  I hadn't thought of that one, but there are definitely similarities.  Personally, I'm hoping for a combination of Boozer and David West, and it looks like he's getting there.  He's already a better rebounder than any of those three.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 02:54:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If he improves shot selection and takes more of them while on-balance, I think so. But in general, my expectations are that he'll be vastly more efficient.

I liked the balance he had earlier in the season, not taking more than a couple a game, but towards the end he was taking too many in my opinion. Not that it mattered overall, more reps and all that.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:41:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If he improves shot selection and takes more of them while on-balance,

The problem when I watch him shoot them isn't balance related.   It is lack of strength on the shot and bad mechanics trying to get it there.  This causes almost no spin on the ball and makes it a brick.  Now that could change with some working out.   But when a guy is weak on a shot he tends to compensate so as not to shoot an airball.   This compensation almost always kills their shot.

The time to shoot them is now.   Not during the season.

I honestly, hope he is in there banging and rebounding.  Something he shows a talent for, not trying to be Walter McCarty and shooting a woeful percentage.   Big guys will shoot them to rest a lot and some of this may have to do with his sorry butt conditioning.   So hopefully, he comes into camp stronger and better conditoned.   But I doubt he will given his prior record and his combine bench scores which we pathetically weak.   I could do 225 Lbs twenty more times than he did 185 lbs at the combine at his age and we are the same height.  Not that strength is the end all but it shows me he is not that dedicated of a player.  That being said, he was good enough to coast on his talent this far.

Until he strengthens all things he can, like his body and gets in shape, I do not think he will reach his full potential.  This is a critical year for him.   I think his threes are of little import compared to his WEIGHT and CONDITIONING ISSUES.  If he really does bust butt then we may have something.   It he does not we should move him.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:48:37 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:18 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
As Celtics4ever just said, the time to work on 3's is now, not during the season.  Working on developing a shot during the games is asinine.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:15:21 AM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
I don't think he will improve much from 3. If I'm the coach I don't want him to shoot the three regularly. Occasionally fine. He is a good midrange, long two shooter. His repertoire is similar to KG (of course he's not as good in executing)
It's like the Bosh situation. He can hit the three, but I don't expect him to hit it when he shoots. Bosh is clutch though. He shoots the three better in crunch time.