Author Topic: Gerald Wallace as an asset  (Read 4875 times)

Re: Gerald Wallace as an asset
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 06:20:01 AM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
When he was with the Bobcats he was an absolute savage.  I always loved what he brought and I loved his game.  I feel bad for the guy.  He should be on the bench on a contending team.  Hopefully he plays out of his mind and someone  wants him near the trade deadline.  Unfortunately I think he's a very old 32 and doesn't have much left.

Yeah, ya gotta feel bad for a declining bench player still making 10mill per yr just to contribute 25mpg of decent defense.  ::)

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is hard for a guy like him to return to form, because a lot of his decline is related to an aging body that has gave it all through out his career.  A body can only take so much punishment.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 08:24:17 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If he does not start or even play, I'm good.

Same with Bass.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 08:24:28 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I have no faith that Wallace can redeem himself as an offensive player. Older and coming off surgery, his play last year is probably a sign of the future.

I do think that Steven's handling of Wallace, or Wallace's response, is going to be one of the real interesting/ key aspects of the "politics" of this roster....I hope that the SF depth chart is Green/ Turner/ Young and that they play well enough to ensure regular DNP-CD's for Wallace. The worst thing is if Wallace is getting minutes  - at the expense of Turner and Young, just to keep him happy. Now if Turner completely fails, and Young is completely out of his depth and sent to Maine full-time, so be it. But the priority has to be giving Green 30+ mins a night and building ET's asset value...
very good point
i was disapointed in his play last year I expected the usual good defense, rebounding and running the floor but his offensive game is horrible
even with an injury he performed pretty bad, going into this season at sf I'd put him 3rd on depth chart
he was mouthy last year…is he going to go bogans this year?
the contracts nj signed guys to (not just him) is amazing
I wouldn't trade him if we have to give up assets.  I'd rather let his expiring help us if no one wants to pick him up.

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Let Wallace sit at home until we can trade his expiring contract.

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Well, even though his game was always based on athleticism, he is an excellent passer, defender, rebounder (especially for the sf position), and post up player, which is the only area on the court where he should get the ball, because he's got some good moves.  His jumper is atrocious though, and his free throws last year were, just, yikes.  All of those years in Charlotte must have rubbed off on him by learning from MJ, because he plays like he's from the another era at times, if you watch him.  He's very intelligent.  I know that he'll never regain the form in this clip, but notice where a lot of his points are coming from - on cuts, drives, and in the post.

That's true, but Wallace was never a guy who was going to ease into the twilight of his career. The guy has always made his mark by playing really, really, hard, (hence "Crash") and he just happened to get a large deal before it all caught up to him.

There's a day and night difference from Gerald Wallace today and Gerald Wallace circa 2010 or even 2008. It's pretty similar to Dwyane Wade's decline, actually -- they're fairly similar in some ways.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He'll be an asset when he sitting on the banks of the Mississippi River FISHING .....just a distant memory of being a Celtic

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think he could still be a good bench/energy guy who comes in and gives us short bursts of great defense.

Or maybe after getting the first surgery of his career being fully healthy will give him back some of his athleticism and he can play well for the Celtics (unlikely at best but who knows)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
32 (just turned in July) years old really isn't that bad but even with my greenest lenses on, I can't trick myself into thinking he's going to do much.

Absolutely zero expectations. He'll have to earn playing time.

Be great if he could find a spot role where he could mimic his old routine for 10 MPG and become a lovable sub. It would be a dream if he could do some approximation of his old self, where he was averaging 16 / 8 with high efficiency, blocks and steals. Not counting on anything with him.

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Now that even turner is here I really don't know who would be best off the bench behind Bradley and Green. Crash is Crash but turner is young and still improving (I hope).

P.S. Am I thee only one who see Thorton, Wallace, Bass, and Anthony not seeing more than 10 minutes a game?
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:16 AM »

Offline JR47

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
That inbound pass to Jeff Green, for the buzzer beater over LBJ though.....

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Now that even turner is here I really don't know who would be best off the bench behind Bradley and Green. Crash is Crash but turner is young and still improving (I hope).

P.S. Am I thee only one who see Thorton, Wallace, Bass, and Anthony not seeing more than 10 minutes a game?

I see both Bass and Wallace getting 20+ mpg.  I see Thornton and Anthony racking up a decent number of DNPs.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 11:46:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
h his game was always based on athleticism,

I think his game is based off effort and hustle.

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 11:51:16 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he won't be an asset until his contract becomes an expiring deal and it can be used ala Theo Ratliff to match salaries in a deal for a top (or at least much better) player on a longer deal

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd be shocked if Bass didn't see his usual 20+ MPG this year. I think Wallace will get a lot of the backup SF minutes again too.