Author Topic: Gerald Wallace as an asset  (Read 4859 times)

Gerald Wallace as an asset
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:23:57 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Yes I know you all will think that I am crazy  with that subject title. But I was just looking at some of Wallace's stats from previous years. If we can acutally  feature him in an offense role that he feels comfortable in and is 80% the player he used to be when he was younger. We actually have a very good basketball player on this team. Look I am not saying he is worth that 20 million thats left on it. All I am saying is that if used right we may get decent production out of him. If he comes out and has a decent start to the season you may be able to get rid of him. Have to give the guy a chance.

Re: Gerald Wallace as an asset
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Gerald Wallace, barring a return to his form of not one, not two, but three years ago, will never be an asset with positive trade value.  This year he is a straight-up negative asset.  Next offseason, he will also be one, but less so.  Your best hope for trading him is if he has a renaissance season next year, at which point he might have mild value at the trade deadline.

Honestly, I like Crash.  We're not doing anything better with his salary, so might as well keep him this year, and see what happens next year.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:35:22 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
Gerald Wallace, barring a return to his form of not one, not two, but three years ago, will never be an asset with positive trade value.  This year he is a straight-up negative asset.  Next offseason, he will also be one, but less so.  Your best hope for trading him is if he has a renaissance season next year, at which point he might have mild value at the trade deadline.

Honestly, I like Crash.  We're not doing anything better with his salary, so might as well keep him this year, and see what happens next year.
[/quote

I agree with you why not showcase a guy that has played in the NBA FOR 13 years.If you ever want to try and get rid of him your not going to get anything for him by him sitting on the Bench.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think featuring him will help.  He doesn't have offensive skill.  He put up numbers in the past because of great athleticism and hustle which got him a lot of garbage points.  There is no way for him to get back to that level.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:23 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
I don't think featuring him will help.  He doesn't have offensive skill.  He put up numbers in the past because of great athleticism and hustle which got him a lot of garbage points.  There is no way for him to get back to that level.

I don't think you can ever get him back to that level but some where in between that I think is doable. You never know injuries happen every year and teams get desperate. All I am saying is he is better than the player we saw last year.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:50:10 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Gerald Wallace.

20 PPG. 50 FGA per game.

Wonder if GMs would notice...?

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

I don't think you can ever get him back to that level but some where in between that I think is doable. You never know injuries happen every year and teams get desperate. All I am saying is he is better than the player we saw last year.
I don't think he is, though.  He was just as bad the previous year too.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Gerald Wallace.

20 PPG. 50 FGA per game.

Haha, TP, that's funny!

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:59:14 AM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
I have no faith that Wallace can redeem himself as an offensive player. Older and coming off surgery, his play last year is probably a sign of the future.

I do think that Steven's handling of Wallace, or Wallace's response, is going to be one of the real interesting/ key aspects of the "politics" of this roster....I hope that the SF depth chart is Green/ Turner/ Young and that they play well enough to ensure regular DNP-CD's for Wallace. The worst thing is if Wallace is getting minutes  - at the expense of Turner and Young, just to keep him happy. Now if Turner completely fails, and Young is completely out of his depth and sent to Maine full-time, so be it. But the priority has to be giving Green 30+ mins a night and building ET's asset value...

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 01:14:20 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
He's a role player - like 98% of the celtics roster. He plays a role on offense - it's just not scoring. He does all the other important things extremely well. And he certainly would have value in a trade if not for being overpaid. much like Humphries, he would be welcomed on most any roster - just not at his current salary. Good player, bad contract.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 01:40:57 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
When he was with the Bobcats he was an absolute savage.  I always loved what he brought and I loved his game.  I feel bad for the guy.  He should be on the bench on a contending team.  Hopefully he plays out of his mind and someone  wants him near the trade deadline.  Unfortunately I think he's a very old 32 and doesn't have much left.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 01:59:19 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Wallace gets traded, it will be because his contract is needed to match salaries or because the Celtics are receiving assets as compensation for taking on a worse player with a longer contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 02:13:48 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
there's definitely worse 8th men around the league though..

....there's definitely cheaper 8th men around the league though..

the circle of Crash Wallace  :-\
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 03:03:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Well, even though his game was always based on athleticism, he is an excellent passer, defender, rebounder (especially for the sf position), and post up player, which is the only area on the court where he should get the ball, because he's got some good moves.  His jumper is atrocious though, and his free throws last year were, just, yikes.  All of those years in Charlotte must have rubbed off on him by learning from MJ, because he plays like he's from the another era at times, if you watch him.  He's very intelligent.  I know that he'll never regain the form in this clip, but notice where a lot of his points are coming from - on cuts, drives, and in the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QI_DfmeqI

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:26 AM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
[url]
Gerald Wallace.

20 PPG. 50 FGA per game.

Actually, FG% was not really the issue with Gerald Wallace last yr.....He shot over 50% from the field, and had one of the best FG percentages on the C's last yr. He just didn't shoot nearly enough when he touched the ball, and was horrible from the FT line / 3p line. But deferring to teammates far too often was the main reason Wallace's ppg went down so much last yr.